Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness - May 6 - 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

You didn’t see her cut in half. You didn’t see any blood when Black Bolt died. People dying in PG-13 movies, sometimes gruesomely is nothing new. Should Raiders of the Lost Ark get an R rating because a guys face gets melted off, another blows up, and another guy gets splattered by a plane propeller?

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

That one was pushing it, I have to say. But then so was the burning scene.

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  3. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

It's gory by normal Disney-Marvel standards. I don't think it should be dubbed "horror", but maybe a bit of restraint should've been put in place.

4. I thought it was fine. It’s a Marvel movie. Not a Disney movie. Doesn’t matter if Disney owns them they operate independently.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Simon A likes this.
  5. Really?
    I loved it. Then again, I’ve been a Doctor Strange fan sinice being a kid and they did a good job of integrating lots from the comics and making it work. Terrific movie.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  6. It was convoluted, a bit of a mess and I loved it.

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It’s exactly the kind of thing that was the reason that PG-13 was created to begin with. It is totally within precedent. If they were going for an R rating they would have completely blown out the back of his head with brains flying everywhere.

BeatleJWOL and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yeah - and you agree in your next post...

alexpop likes this.
  9. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I saw this Sunday and loved it. Has that signature Sam Raimi feel all over it! :D

Ghostworld and davenav like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

How’s it doing at the box office?

11. alexpop

:)

12. alexpop

Didn’t notice till end credits.
    Bruce Campbell. :D

13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Blood came out of his nose and eyes in the clip I saw yesterday and his whole head imploded.

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  14. alexpop

Marvel comics circa 1960s.
    Black Bolt was a cool one.

wayneklein likes this.
  15. Yep. When I thought about it. By that time, though, I had forgotten to edit it out. It is a mess but I still love it. It’s brazen, messy, has a convoluted plot (at times) but I still really enjoyed it. Sometimes folks say it’s a mess like it’s a bad thing but, in this case, it’s big, bold and messy and I wouldn’t have it any other way. It also still reflects Raimi’s aesthetic as a film director.

rodrigosanche55 and Simon A like this.
  16. alexpop

Leave it a “ a mess”.. sorted. :D

17. I enjoyed the cameo even if the mini-series sucked.
    nah. There are plenty of terrific movies that are sprawling and a mess. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Not really seeing the mess here. For a film that jumps universes and introduces character variants in the same two hour running time, things were surprisingly straightforward.

19. I think that folks felt the narrative could have been streamlined-and it could have-but it would been a less ambitious and fun movie IMHO. I also think that some will take the fact that it refers to the TV series of Wandavision and integrates that along with the ongoing Marvel story arc. It’s less stand alone like the first film.

rodrigosanche55 likes this.
  20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

That would have been a different movie, and they can do that for the sequel: Doctor Strange and the Just One Universe This Time, We Promise

wayneklein likes this.
  21. I agree. It also would have been far less interesting. Raimi’s movies are also all over the place with tone and that gonzo approach is reflected here as well. Some folks don’t like it. I find it bold and fun.

rodrigosanche55 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. In fact it was handled with so much restraint (especially for a movie that Raimi’s directs) one could be forgiven for thinking it just knocked the wind out of her if not for seeing the shield dripping with blood in the next shot (and even that was restrained).

Isaac K. likes this.
  23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Even so, it is well within the limits of a PG-13 rating. Again, refer back to the films that caused the creation of this rating. The heart ripping scene in Temple of Doom. The face tearing scene in Poltergeist. Are you seriously suggesting this is somehow worse? PG-13 isn’t PG for a reason.

24. alexpop

Would have accepted more blood / nudity guess the rating would be higher.:)

rodrigosanche55 likes this.
  25. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I wanna see Strange's unit! :realmad: #unratedbluray