Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2021-2022 47th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Sep 9, 2021.

1. zoostation

zoostation Cover my face as the animals die.

She even has her hand movements down :eek:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. I think the producers feel the same way about Arcade Fire as you do - have any musical act previously had to perform their 2nd song over the closing credits (after a VERY rocky intro)?

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that was the bands 3rd song of the night not second

4. Oh I must have dozed off during their 2nd song!

5. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

In which case U2 got a third song once a few years ago. They did "I Will Follow," a reminder that they were once good. Amy Poehler was in tears on the side of the stage watching them.

6. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

R.E.M. also got three for their second appearance (1994, hosted by Sarah Jessica Parker).

That third Arcade Fire performance looked (and sounded) awkward, as if they didn't know they were getting a third song and someone off-camera urged them to start playing something.

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

And it was Arcade Fire's sixth time on SNL! I think it's safe to assume the producers like them.

8. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Glad some of you have answered the question about bands playing 3 songs on the show. I didn't recall it in the past. Especially on the "outro" of the show, which was always was reserved for the house band.

Also it did seem like it was an impromptu performance (the third song). If such a thing is possible on SNL anymore (impromptu performance).

Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. SmallDarkCloud

If you haven't seen it, look for the Arcade Fire or New Cast Member? sketch from, I think, 2013. It is hilarious. Only one of the new cast members in that sketch lasted more than one season (Kyle Mooney, who remains a cast member). Win Butler does a better Robert DeNiro impression than the new cast member he's paired with (Mike O'Brien).

Frank Discussion likes this.
  10. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

What was the song they played during the credits? I wondered if it was part of the 1973 protest tshirts.

11. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

"End of the Empire II." The full performance is on YouTube.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don’t think they would have been standing on the music stage with their instruments ready to play if they weren’t expecting to do another song.

13. SmallDarkCloud

True. It kind of looked like the band missed a cue to start playing and were startled for a moment.

Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It looked like Win was supposed to start the song but I think he played the wrong chord on the guitar and threw himself off. Then because he was stopping and starting the others couldn’t come in on cue. Live TV!

Matthew Tate and Dan C like this.
  15. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I barely laughed and thought AF were average and hokey, as I usually do. When bands have all those extra musicians they look boutiquey and redundant.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

17. MikaelaArsenault

18. MikaelaArsenault

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

20. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

Their 2nd song rocked. I have no idea what the title was. I'm not huge on Arcade Fire on album, but every time I've seen them live I've been blown away. They play like they mean it.

21. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Should've gotten Jean Smart! :righton: She's hot with Hacks - Season 2 starting & she was in New York this week! :eek::winkgrin:- I saw a part of her interview on Live w/Kelly & Ryan. Kelly wasn't there. I forget if it was a day that Ali Wentworth filled in or Maria Menoudos. Too bad, everybody doesn't just book Mike Birbiglia, since he was so great filling in for Jimmy Kimmel - enjoyed the open for a change!
    I guess maybe Jean's commitments weren't known when they'd needed to book it. But, wow, this was just such a perfect fit - a comedic actress on a comedy show that's garnered a lot of attention - esp. coming off Benedict's episode?! Seems a no-brainer - SNL: Oh, no, I don't think that'll work. Should've worked it out to move Natasha to the Fall to execute this maneuver. Ooh... decisions! :rolleyes::doh::laugh:
    And, musical guest could've been either Sheryl Crow or The Black Keys to close season out. - Or, Dolly since she seems so beloved & just got one of the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame inductions even though she'd requested removal from ballot. - Sheryl just had documentary premiere last week with accompanying 2-CD retrospective & The Black Keys just released a new album yesterday ....
    Why can't I just rule the world?! :confused::uhhuh: :biglaugh:

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

23. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Do you genuinely think the SNL target demo is even slightly interested in Sheryl Crow or the Black Crowes? Japanese Breakfast is a big act to the target demo, plus they have the extra talking point of their singer-songwriter having written a bestselling memoir and even the hide bound traditionalist's ultimate seal of approval: they were nominated for a Best New Artist Grammy after their third album.

The next week's worth of "lol never heard of them they must suck" is gonna be hilarious.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  24. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Speaking of 35 years ago, we had this here in Philly at that time:

Saturday Night Dead - Wikipedia

25. zoostation

zoostation Cover my face as the animals die.

back when local affiliates could actually be local

MikaelaArsenault and majorlance like this.