Discogs: Leave negative feedback or give seller a chance to make it right?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TwiceFan, May 11, 2022.

1. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just sent this message to a Discogs seller:

"I have to say I am very disappointed with this purchase. It was graded VG+. According to Discog's instructions on the VG+ grade...

'Record surfaces may show some signs of wear and may have slight scuffs or very light scratches that don't affect one's listening experiences.'

In your comments you said it was actually "VG++" so I was expecting a record that played very well, a few steps from NM. In fact, visually the LP was heavily scratched but I withheld judgement until I played it. I vacuum cleaned it and put it on. Sometimes records that look trashed play very well. In this case, no. There was quite audible surface noise and scratches causing repetitive clicks and pops all the way through. Not only that, groove wear rendered the second half of both sides heavily distorted and unlistenable. I couldn't turn it off fast enough fearing it would damage my cartridge.

I'm inclined to leave negative feedback but wanted to give you a chance to make it right even though transactions like this SHOULD be reported. Most people don't bother. Sellers who incorrectly grade records deserve to be called out publicly."

How would you handle this? Hit him/her with negative feedback? Demand a full refund? Partial refund? I do not think I should have to go through the hassle of returning the record. What do you think?

lazydawg58 likes this.
  2. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

I would have left out the last line. Same for transactions here. If the seller has overgraded, which happens, and makes it right, I don't leave negative feedback. In my mind, VG+ means no surface noise during the music. VG means very minimal surface noise during the music "that doesn't overpower the music." I'm not sure what VG++ is, since VG+ already means no surface noise during the music. I digress and feel your pain.

3. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I personally would do exactly as you are doing - leaving a message detailing why the record was not as advertised and if they don't make it right or it doesn't seem after a period of time they will be inclined to reply to your message, leaving the feedback if not just to warn others about purchasing from them

TwiceFan and chickendinna like this.
  4. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

What's his/her seller rating? Give them the chance to make it right. Mistakes happen.

5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

If you sent that message, I would say you absolutely should not leave negative feedback until the seller has a chance to respond.

Only problem here is the options to "make it right" are pretty limited. I would say if they ask for the record to be returned before they refund, that is understandable.

GentleSenator and ARK like this.
  6. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I hope you don’t mind me saying, but your last paragraph comes across as somewhat provocative. Personally, I would have given the seller an opportunity to make amends before writing something like that.

LivingForever, SRC and MonkeyTennis like this.
  7. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Always give the seller a chance to correct an error. Even if you think it was more likely attempted deception than an honest error, you don't know the background and might be just a slip. I think it's even required according to discogs guideline to contact the seller before leaving negative feedback.

8. TwiceFan

100% positive.

And I already received a reply. They said that I got the wrong copy. He is sending out the correct copy tomorrow. Honestly I expected some sort of positive result. No seller (especially one with 100% feedback) wants even one negative blemish.

9. TwiceFan

I know I was being provocative. I was pissed. And some sellers over-grade consistently in hopes that buyers won't notice or won't bother to call them out. They are still taking advantage and causing unnecessary disappointment and hassle. What if I had chosen this one over another, correctly graded copy which was sold in the meantime?

lazydawg58 likes this.
  10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Your last paragraph sounds like you're holding the seller up for a price reduction or freebie. Bad idea.

Beyond that, if it could be an honest mistake (visual grade vs play grade) or else a minor defect that could have been missed... then ok.

If it's obviously substantially overgraded (2 grades), the negative feedback is justified.

Occasionally honest mistakes just happen and it sounds like that's the case here and the seller is making it right. So no negative.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    Lost In The Flood and Ryan Lux like this.
  11. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I was in the restaurant business and as an extension customer service for the better part of 45 years until my back said no mas. I’ve dealt with complaints and pissed off people my whole life. It seems like you’re doing you’re due diligence. What irked me to no end was when people would automatically crush us on Yelp or call Guest Relations first without ever talking to a manager. That was always my first question: did you let anybody know or did you speak to a manager ? 90% of the time, the answer was no. It’s my job to make things right, but I can’t fix what I don’t know about.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  12. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

Always give the seller a chance to make it right before leaving negative feedback. Discogs even instructs buyers to do so.

13. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

What you are saying is true. But you've categorically tagged the seller as somebody trying to screw you over, despite the high rating. I'm guessing you went the seller given in part their rating. Things happen in life. People make mistakes. Your response seems more like a 2nd or 3rd letter in response to something from their response. The entire point of choosing a seller with a high rating is that you're more likely to get a better outcome if things do go wrong. And to me, their response was exactly what I would have hoped if I had been put in your situation.

GimiSomeTruth, Aftermath and TwiceFan like this.
  14. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

So the seller indeed had two copies for sale simultaneously?

Echo likes this.
  15. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I had an identical experience. The seller offered to refund my money ONLY IF I sent him a video of my cutting the album jacket in half and a video of my scratching a key into the surface of the record! It was ridiculous. But I did it. He had rated it NM and it was unplayable.

16. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

What? Was this because they didn't want to bother with a return but also didn't want you to claim a bad disc and get a refund fraudulently?

17. TwiceFan

I know what people mean when they say it was too harsh for a first message. I have since simmered down. I should have been nicer. But honestly, I am sick of buying records online that are obviously over-graded. It happens way too often for it to always be "an honest mistake".

18. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Not at all unusual. I've seen four, five, six copies of the same record or CD (or 45 RPM) listed from sellers on Discogs with a large inventory.

19. I’d rather do that than waste travel time to/from the Post Office as well as standing forever in a long line. Not that it should have happened in the first place but still.

elaterium likes this.
  20. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Of course this happens however did you notice he had two copies for sale when you bought your copy?

Echo likes this.
  21. TwiceFan

I guess so. Unless the seller's trick is to serially over-grade, then to placate the occasional dissatisfied customer, go out and find a better copy somewhere.

:shrug:

LivingForever likes this.
  22. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yes, that’s what he said.

23. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

At that point it just seems petty, but then I don't sell on Discogs and maybe fraudulent return claims are numerous.

24. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

He claimed it was happening to him. It felt petty to me. It was a record I’d been wanting for more than 50 years. Pretty disappointing.

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

IMHO, your message was perfect,... until the last paragraph where it sounds like a threat or blackmail.

Return and refund is the way to go, anyway. :)

eddiel likes this.