Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I bought that record new in 1971 and I believe it had just been released by Odyssey (a re-issue, though, of the original Epic LP). It was my first recording of Schubert's 9th and became my performance baseline for that Symphony.

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    More excellence from Szell. Odyssey Y 30313, 1971 reissue of Epic BC-1011 from 1959. Recorded 3/29-30/57, Masonic Auditorium, Cleveland. Producer: Howard Scott.

TonyACT, J.A.W., bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  3. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

This came in to the shop on LP, I was interested in it until I saw how much it goes for. Think it was priced around $40 or $50 but it escapes me. The European issues go for even more

TonyACT likes this.
  4. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Schumann - Ian Bostridge, Julius Drake – Liederkreis Op.24, Dichterliebe Op.48 & 7 Lieder

My first venture into Schumann's songs. Bostridge is possibly my favourite Schubert singer (though I must admit that I'm bot very well versed in Lied) and so far I'm enjoying it.

Next up, I'll search and see if I can find this album,
    [​IMG]

5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the turntable: J.S. Bach Brandenburg Concertos Nos. 2, 5, & 6.
    Concentus Musicus Wien / Nikolaus Harnoncourt

Telefunken 2-LP box set / 1974 / German

[​IMG]

Recording location: Palais Schönburg, Vienna, April 1964. First issue appears to be 1967 (my copy, shown above, is a 1974 re-issue). Liner notes by Harnoncourt.

6. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

I don't have this LP, but the story sent me round the internet.
    I like the pianist Robert Casadesus': Homage à Chausson, Op. 51 for Violin and Piano. It is engaging although impressionistic.
    [​IMG]

Casadesus wrote the piece for a concert in November, 1954 which with the record, were produced to benefit the American Library in Paris, France. Only 2,760 were pressed, to match the number of seats in the hall.
    There was no catalog number by Columbia and supposedly the masters were destroyed, and the artists never recorded these works again. Although, it did later show up on a Casadesus box set.
    Of the Three Preludes For Piano: Cezanne / Dufy / Modigliani by Francescatti, John M. Conly says in High Fidelity magazine that they are "attractive and cleverly wrought".
    The Bach A-major sonata was previously recorded for shellac disc in 1947.

[​IMG]
    American soldiers in Paris just after the armistice of World War I. The American Library in Paris was a continuation of the work of the Library War Service, which ALA created in 1917 to supply reading materials to US servicemembers stationed in Europe during the war. (Photo: American Library in Paris)

Pétrouchka, layman, Wes H and 8 others like this.
  7. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Jan Václav Hugo Voříšek - Symfonie in D Major, Op. 24; Anton Reicha - Ouvertura in D Major in 5/8 & Symfonie in E Flat Major, Op. 41. Musica Florea, Marek Štryncl - Recorded 2010

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Berthold, TonyACT, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

While the recordings in your box set seemed familiar at first glance, I didn't immediately recognize them in the plain jackets. However, I was just now pulling out another Bach recording (see above) from my shelf and spotted this 5-LP box set of the Bach Concertos with Leonhardt and it jogged my memory:

[​IMG]

This was produced by Telefunken in 1976 (according to the copyright date on enclosed booklet), though the recordings were originally released individually by Telefunken during the previous four years.

My favorite Bach Concerto cycle remains the Trevor Pinnock/ English Concert (recorded between 1979-81) on Archiv. However, this Telefunken release is a very nice set and well-recorded. For most of the Concertos only two microphones were employed, on either side of Leonhardt's harpsichord, with the four instrumentalists in a close semi-circle around him.

Glad to see this set re-issued in your Bach mega-box!

9. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Eduard Tubin - Symphonies Nos. 3 & 8 - Sveriges RSO, Neeme Järvi - recorded 1986

CD 3 of this set:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TonyACT and bluemooze like this.
  10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to new arrival "Andreas Ottensamer & Yuja Wang - Blue Hour" on DG.

Weber: Clarinet Concerto No. 1 in F minor op. 73 / Grand Duo concertant for Piano and Clarinet in E flat major op. 48
    Mendelssohn: 7 Lieder ohne Worte
    Brahms: Intermezzo in A major op. 118/2

Andreas Ottensamer · Yuja Wang
    Berliner Philharmoniker · Mariss Jansons

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

John S, Scourge, fdsfd and 7 others like this.
  11. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Edgar Varèse - Complete Works 1 - Royal Concertgebouw Orch., Riccardo Chailly - recorded 1992, 1996, 1998

CD 1 of this set:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

John S, SeeDubs, peter1 and 2 others like this.
  12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I've probably got between 10 and 20 recordings of this wonderful piece of music. Always enjoy listening to it, as I did this one, but none of them particularly stand out as being head and shoulders above the rest. :)

TonyACT and layman like this.
  13. hakstone

hakstone Witnessing the prototype of the Eloi

Hello all. Why can't I find this version of Mozart requiem on physical medium. Thx

TonyACT and bluemooze like this.
  14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

My imprint version was Toscanini/Philadelphia 1940. The single LP came in a box (as did Rubinstein playing Chopin waltzes). I found the Szell on Odyssey later, and that became my standard because of the superior (albeit not spectacular) sound quality. I like the Munch as well. I now have the Munch on SACD, the Szell as part of the big box, and Toscanini with the NBC Symphony Orchestra. I also treasure two performances I attended with Gerard Schwarz conducting the New York Chamber Symphony. Someone snuck me a cassette of one, but it vanished somewhere.

It’s one of my favorite classical works and I have a number of others, but the above ones stand out. If anyone can recommend an HIP recording, I would probably grab it.

Wes H, vanhooserd and TonyACT like this.
  15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have that as a Teldec 3-CD set. An early digital purchase. I have to say I also prefer the Pinnock.

Wes H and TonyACT like this.
  16. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I love the Scherchen in the Westminster box, it inspired me to explore more of his Mahler on single CDs.

I also have a soft spot for what Jed Distler calls: 'CD From Hell: Monteux’s Dreary Westminster Beethoven 9th'

:)

Daedalus and Wes H like this.
  17. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

And the ones before were compared unfavorably with Toscanini ;)

reference: Barbirolli!

john greenwood likes this.
  18. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Who are the conductor / orchestra?

Or is that part of what you are asking?

There are a lot of versions out there ;)

19. Jamsterdammer

I think this is a version by the Southwest German Symphony Orchestra, based in Stuttgart. Not sure it was ever released on physical media. Anyway, there are tons of superior recordings of the Requiem out there.

TonyACT likes this.
  20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Philips 6527 098, issued 1978. Recorded in the Church of Notre Dame du Liban, Paris. Producer: Michel Bernard. Engineer: Henk Jensen.

21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Issued 1987. Recordings from 1961, 1964, 1967 & 1968. Reissue of a 1970 LP with a label that's a change from the usual bright red.

22. hakstone

hakstone Witnessing the prototype of the Eloi

Yes it is SW German orchestra. It's just the performance I like best.

Jamsterdammer and TonyACT like this.
  23. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

More violin sonatas today, this time from the Warner Saint-Saëns Edition.

Saint-Saëns: Violin Sonata No. 1 in D minor, Op. 75

Renaud Capuçon (violin)
    Bertrand Chamayou (piano)
    -

Saint-Saëns: Violin Sonata No. 2 in E flat major, Op. 102

Olivier Charlier (violin)
    Jean Hubeau (piano)

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, Wes H, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Great playing and sound.

[​IMG]

25. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Spinning in the CD player. $1 at the thrift store today.

Bartók • Grieg • R. Strauss - Vilde Frang, Michail Lifits – Violin Sonatas
    EMI Classics – 50999 9 47639 2 8

[​IMG]