Beatles without Ringo and George

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flaxton, May 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would they have been as big if they had a different drummer and guitarist. Excluding Pete Best. Just a thought.

2. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

They probably could have been decent with Clapton and Ginger Baker.

Paulwalrus, Brian Kelly, Sean and 2 others like this.
  3. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue.

Ringo was a great drummer who knew exactly what to play and when. You don't have to be all flash and complex to be effective. George was so integral to the band that I can't imagine them without him.

There's a reason why most consider them to be the most important band there was. It isn't because of just two people. It's because of what all four sounded like and achieved together. Their success and output as solo performers in comparison answers the question as to how much better they were when all four were together.

Ringo and George were anything but weak links.

Fabsmith, RonBaker, rmath84 and 44 others like this.
  4. Nonsuch

Nonsuch Knows a Little Bit About a Lot of Things

And it wasn't just musical ability: on a personal level, the four Beatles meshed extraordinarily well, and they certainly would not have withstood the pressures of their fame for as long as they did were that not the case. The Beatles are the archetypal band not only because of their music, but because deep down, they were friends who cared for each other deeply.

5. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

need the glue guys to contribute, puff up and put up with the leadership, and just sit there through countless hours of studio and road trip time... :D

not a hope that making things technically stronger would increase my overall enjoyment of the Beatles.

would have enjoyed Ringo getting the perfect recording balance and sway that Charlie Watts got every time.

Ringo's drumming is amazing to this wannabee drummer in my youth, the enhancement of recordings make me appreciate him even more through 100s of little things he tossed in with his unique hi-hat touches, different drumming for each verse, odd fills and extensions on phrases..

a Charlie perfection tune, and it was a contemporary recording session...

6. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

It's not just a musicianship. There is a PR and image factor, And in fact some real bond plays a role.

Later yes, one can imagine a scenario where J+P continue with a studio backup or find a different pair or trio of lads.

51IS and AppleCorp3 like this.
  7. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident Thread Starter

So you are saying they would not have been as big without them.

8. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Rick Beato interviews Gregg Bissonette and he gives his thoughts of Ringo and why he loves him so much.

9. TheRunoutMatrix

Countless people make the mistake that because Ringo didn't play like Neil Peart he must have been a poor drummer. His musical understanding in knowing what would strengthen a song was off-the-charts.

To say he was a bad drummer because of a lack of crazy complex chops is like saying Paul was a crappy songwriter because of the lack of intense bass solos or super complex, busy basslines.

10. 7solqs4iago

Ringo's loping along STILL meshed perfectly with their more perfectionist bass for the rhythm section... :D

the band was infinitely more than the sum of its parts

I can appreciate they all would be laughed off the stage instumentally by every member of a dozen other cherished bands, but that Beatles catalogue is a million miles above band #2

11. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Long time ago when they were

Fa

No

Bill Larson likes this.
  12. TheRunoutMatrix

Anyone who laughed them off stage due just to lack of serious complex chops would be an idiot. Songwriting has nothing to do with prowess on an instrument. Ask Neil Young or Bob Dylan.

13. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

They would have been bigger. John and Paul could have been Simon and Garfunkel.

fr in sc and FranzD like this.
  14. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

The Nerk Twins forever

zen and Gloi like this.
  15. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Ringo is to drums as Dave Gilmour is to guitar, not a virtuoso but concise and musical. Ringo's fills on A Day in the Life are one of the most striking/memorable aspects of the song and it's a great song.

16. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

See Plant/Page.

17. 7solqs4iago

the game changed with the release of the White Album, and all their competition become jamming guitar gods, to continue with Chuck Berry and Chet Atkins bridges was not gonna cut it...

except the Stones... wait... they took on a guitar god for their peak albums at this time.. they knew...

still put the Fabs catalogue well above all their competitors...

18. TheRunoutMatrix

I think you'll find yourself quite alone with that belief.

Fabsmith and Solly Bridgetower like this.
  19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Probably

Paulwalrus and Big Blue like this.
  20. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

The Steely Dan template would suggest that a strong duo with killer session players could be successful.

But that was a different time and SD was never as big as The Beatles and I think a big part of that was how fans related to the members.

So I’m going with “no” they would not have been as big without George and Ringo.

21. 7solqs4iago

SD played to the darker and ironic isolated weirdo people... not an iota of cuteness there... :D

[​IMG]

22. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

I prefer you call me, Mr. Weirdo. :D

23. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

No, not even close.

24. 7solqs4iago

as you wish... :D

SD gave us a set of songs with the meaning still shrouded, i don't even want to know what Your Gold Teeth is about... :(

Vic_1957 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  25. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I think their respective band set ups compliment their music perfectly.

I’m a huge fan of both bands….not sure what that says about me…:sweating:

7solqs4iago and Vic_1957 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.