Ryan Adams - Romeo and Juliet

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luftveraenderung, Apr 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. See answer above.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m starting to think these gigs are going to be half empty with the amount of people on fan pages trying to sell their tickets

KDubATX likes this.
  3. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

that’s sad, but perhaps the reality of one guy and an acoustic guitar really is not that attractive of a gig.

4. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

Really intrigued to read this. My copy is utter ****e (and I tried a replacement which was equally bad, but in different ways). I’ve checked out Discogs and it seems that the general consensus (with a couple of outliers) is both the pressing and mastering is pretty dire. I was wondering, therefore, if you could give a bit more info re: your pressing? Is it the standard release or a limited version?

I’m not into Adams as I once was (I was a completist - but alas no more), but I’m intrigued to learn whether there is a half-decent release of this album out there somewhere.

5. That seems bizarre to me.It’s not as though the concerts were advertised as anything else than solo shows and there haven’t been any previous shows for people to form an opinion different to what they had when they bought the tickets a few months back.

6. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Each punter will have their preference, I suppose. I was at the solo Live After Deaf gig in Oxford in 2011 which was terrific. I would not have purchased a ticket if he'd been with a band; I really wanted to see him play solo at that time.

7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

There was a time when solo Ryan tickets were much harder to get than with a band. I saw the Live After Deaf tour in Manchester and the whole tour sold out instantly, and the Ashes and Fire tour a few months later

8. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

Saw him two times during Live After Death and I am good on the solo department. At this point, he really needs a band and a real one, not something like The Shining. I always say that Lucinda Williams should pass hers on to him now (and I am only half-joking).

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  9. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

100% best band I saw him with was in 2013 for Teenage Cancer Trust. (Although I never saw the Cardinals)

Ethan Johns, Cindy Cashdollar, Jeremy Stacey, Benmont Tench and Don Was. Don’t think he will ever beat that lineup.

Mr. D and orca orca like this.
  10. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

While these are all distinguished musicians in their own right, nothing will ever come close to Ryan playing with the Cardinals.
    Exhibit A ... Das Haus 2006.
    (I realize I come of as an old-school bore here)

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    Harm1985 and ceddy10165 like this.
  11. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

Listening to WFUV at work today and they played "Take it Back," which I assume is off of the new record (I see it is actually off of Chris). It was such a surprise to hear him on the radio as I cannot remember the last time I did (my wife tells me that The Spectrum on Sirius has been slowly working him back into their playlist as well). I need to spend some time with that record and the new one once it comes out in a physical format.

12. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

This one. I've read the comments too:
    Ryan Adams - Wednesdays

13. MonkeyTennis

Interesting: that’s the very pressing I own.

Putting the appalling QC to one side, the mastering on my copy (and the one I returned) is all over the place - variations in volume between tracks, and unacceptable sibilance in places. But all this is from recollection, and I’ve since changed TTs and cart. Given your differing experience, I may listen again tomorrow and reassess.

Thanks for the clarification.

14. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I DID wash it before playing, it looked horrible.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  15. Glenn Cooper

Glenn Cooper Active Member

Haha - it's crap. Notice all the people trying to "sell" tickets are girls? They don't have tickets. It's payback. It's their twisted way of thinking that Ryan Adams should be cancelled and shoudn't be allowed to earn a living. So they're going onto Ryan Adams pages - especially on Facebook - in groups and claiming to be wanting to "sell their tickets."

No one is selling their tickets.

16. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

That's quite a conclusion to draw. So you're saying there is a concerted effort amongst women to buy tickets for his shows with the intention of selling said tickets at a loss?

Okay.

dtuck90 and MonkeyTennis like this.
  17. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I read that as the women didn't actually have tickets, but were acting like they did to make it seem like people are bailing on the shows.

Neither scenario makes much sense.

18. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Ah yes, I misread it. Like you said, neither scenario makes much sense.

Interestingly the person who made the comment has only one post to his name....

19. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

I'm traveling from Texas specifically to see Saturday's show.
    got killer seats and will gladly report back here. have no idea what to expect - utterly wheel's off or a wonderful return.

Riffraff03, JayB, stefjnl and 2 others like this.
  20. Glenn Cooper

Glenn Cooper Active Member

Correct. They don't have tickets in the first place. It's just to make it appear that they are protesting his ability to play shows. Being horrid, disgruntled little whiners, they think Ryan shouldn't be allowed to earn a living.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  21. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

I know it’s been said a thousand times about this guy , but some judicious editing and Romeo and Juliet becomes a minor classic.
    Easily his best collection of songs since Cold Roses, if not Heartbreaker. Some beautiful songs here…I love being proven wrong by an artist when expectations are low!

Interpolantics likes this.
  22. stefjnl

stefjnl Forum Resident

Agreed, his best album since the 2005 trilogy. Lose Poor Connection, This Is Your House, Losers, Theo Is Dreaming and They Will Know Our Love and you have a killer 14-track album. My Heaven would have been a great album closer, but as it is it's buried between a few sub-par tracks.

Anyway, it's out on Spotify today

Vox78 likes this.
  23. MonkeyTennis

How I do appreciate the rich irony of you, evidently a Ryan-bro, complaining about anyone else being whiny.

And so thank you.

24. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Interesting..will try that.

Anyone with more knowledge that I want to take a stab at editing Wednesdays, BC, and Chris into a much better single (or double if warranted) album?

Im just not familiar enough with them to do so.

25. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

any other Qobuz users notice how "Chris" and "R&J" do not show up under his artist page? You have to really dig to find them on Qobuz, they're there, but I think however they got uploaded into the platform, they changed something about the label "PaxAm" that appears to have separated them from the rest of his catalog.

(or am I missing something obvious?)

saturdayboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.