Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers (New Album) May 13th.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exitmusic, Apr 18, 2022.

1. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

To be fair, the heart pt. 2 opened Overly Dedicated (and uses a great sample from The Roots), so there is a little bit of precedent.

2. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I am salivating for this album. I love Heart Part 5, but I hope it isn’t on the album, and that’s only because the prospect of not hearing a single second from this album before release is exhilarating.

3. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Stone Turntable likes this.
  4. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I keep finding his albums used on CD in thrift shops and I keep buying them. It's dense, difficult music and he has a lot to say. I'm also interested.
    Considering the manner in which he has been recognised, I feel his music goes beyond categories, but those that have made up their minds without listening to a whole album are missing something special.

5. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I haven't replied to the thread previously because I have nothing much to say at this point beyond 'I'm really looking forward to this'. But rest assured, I'm really looking forward to this!

6. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

Cover art is now up on oklama.com
    [​IMG]

7. ATMP

ATMP Forum Resident

I’m an old man (mid-40’s) and my son is a big Kendrick fan. I’ve been keeping my eye out for an opportunity to pick this one up on vinyl to no avail. It’s not rocket science, but for some reason the lack - as best I can tell - of any information whatsoever about a physical release on this album has really driven home the fact that streaming reigns supreme.

Vox78, sentinel90125 and jfeldt like this.
  8. RockyRaccoon

I don't think the lack of information surrounding this album's release says anything about streaming reigning supreme. Given that all of his major label albums have had physical releases, I see no reason why this one won't. I'm thinking the physical release info will drop tomorrow alongside the digital/streaming.

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Yeah, if I recall correctly “DAMN” didn’t come out on vinyl until months after the release.

jfeldt and ATMP like this.
  10. ATMP

ATMP Forum Resident

My point I guess is that the fact that it doesn’t need physical product on release day means that they’re a secondary concern at this point. Sure, they’ll ultimately release it on vinyl/cd/cassette, but there is no need to do so out of the chute. I can see this with smaller bands, especially due to supply chain issues, but this seems bigger.

11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Given my admiration for Lamar, it will probably lead to him getting a digital album sale and a vinyl album sale from me, whereas I would typically only buy the vinyl release.

ATMP and ghoulsurgery like this.
  12. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

I agree. Vinyl or not, amazing or not, this album's going to #1 on sheer anticipation for new KL music.

13. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

Another factor I’m sure is to lessen the possibility of it leaking.
    Most people probably remember but back when CDs were a lot bigger and new albums had to be mass produced in the millions for those first week sales, it wasn’t uncommon for albums to be leaked days, weeks, in some cases even months before the actual release date.
    Artists, labels, and everyone involved hated that, so it could be a big reason why they release things on streaming long before they do physical releases these days.
    A lot harder for leaks to happen when The artist only have to upload it to streaming services right before it releases.

14. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Part of me wonders how much he might be tweaking it right up until the release date too. It’s easy to do that when you only need to meet a streaming deadline. Kendrick is so walled off, it’s impossible to know if this thing has been finished for months and the vinyl is ready to ship OR he’s finishing it right now

15. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Haven’t listened yet but the penultimate track features Beth Gibbons from Portishead.

16. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Also, it appears that the single 'Heart 5' isn't on the album. Just starting to work through this now. Exciting. :)

jfeldt likes this.
  17. agrock3

agrock3 Forum Resident

Hmmmm....like a high school art teacher to a student, "I'm a bit perplexed by some of the decisions you made in your piece...."
    My hot take is that it is certainly "not great" and possibly "not good"

18. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I'm listening to disc one right now...

First, let me say i didnt really care for any of his previous work. pimp a butterfly just didnt connect with me... same with damn. the beats just werent ...me... same with maad city....

However this is the first kendrick album i can completely get into. This album is awesome.

However this means that people that were a fan of his previous work will probably not like this album as much...

This album is more "normal" and not groundbreaking imo.... But to me? this is the kind of rap i get down with.

Another album were im also in the minority is "donda 2" which i feel is much better than donda 1.

zoostation, mschrist and ghoulsurgery like this.
  19. RockyRaccoon

Listened to this on the way to work this morning and so far I like what I heard. This is probably going to take a few listens before it really sinks in, but I think it's a winner so far. Can't wait for the physical release to be announced. This is one of the more exciting new music Fridays for me with this, The Smile, Moderat, and Monophonics all dropping today.

20. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Trustworthy, honest rap experts being trustworthy & honest

21. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

Liked it. Not as much as I liked Damn the first time but the 75 minutes went by very quickly. Deserves multiple listens for sure.

Easily one of the best albums I’ve heard all year. Been a slow year for me tho thus far.

mschrist, MikeManaic61 and pinkrudy like this.
  22. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Just found out about this from an email (I’m on the mailing list).

I saw a tour poster mentioning Kendrick Lamar, and a weird image of a black family - the father with what looked to be a crown of thorns and the mother sitting on a bed, each parent holding a young child. I thought, what the hell is this?!, clicked on the image thinking it might possibly be a new compilation featuring Kendrick, and the links to Apple Music, Amazon, Tidal et al confirmed it was a new solo album!!!

I’m stoked. Been waiting years for this. I only checked Wikipedia about a month ago, and found no mention of a new album.

Now all I gotta do is wait for the CD. Funnily enough, I may end up downloading it from iTunes as well eventually when it drops in price. The Apple Masters of Good Kid… and To Pimp A Butterfly are a bit smoother and not as shouty as the discs. But, I gotsta have that physical copy. Y’know, in case the internet blows up.

:)

mschrist likes this.
  23. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

Meh.
    Sound quality is brickwalled alas
    Should have used Steven Wilson
    Why no blu-ray
    Album would have been better if done by the Beatles
    Digipacks i hate digipacks
    Why not do 45rpm
    Why no deluxe edition
    Where was this vinyl cut

please use this to copy and paste your complaints

whohadd, jicerswine, OldSoul and 10 others like this.
  24. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

just read the times review. They loved it. Noteworthy vocal from Beth Gibbons.

25. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Played it once this AM. Lengthy and dense, but unlike most newer hip hop albums that’s not a bad thing. It’s confessional, even for Kendrick. It’s up to his usual polish I’d say no filler, but there also doesn’t seem to be any a focus on producing any radio singles. Disc 2 in particular seems to be real “hip hop head” material, you'd better like lyricism and rapping when getting into this. The blogs are going to be tripping over each other to declare this a masterpiece, but I’ll probably need more time with it, but I’m sure I’ll love it more after a few spins.

mschrist, jicerswine and pinkrudy like this.