Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo Show release*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark-10, Feb 17, 2022.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Post more vinyl reviews please. I’m really enjoying the stream, much more than the first couple of preview tracks led me to expect. But I’m hoping for insights before dropping a ton on the LP set.

Gonzo-a-gogo and scotti like this.
  2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I haven't compared directly to any boots yet. There is definitely a slide overdub on "Worried Life Blues", probably Ronnie's
    I certainly hear Stu on piano for "Worried Life" and "Little Red Rooster", at least

Travelin Man likes this.
  3. CBackley

Mick’s vocals on Route 66 sounded like modern Mick to me. Note: I am not claiming there are overdubs with new vocals. But I was just surprised at how similar his vocals sounded then vs. now.

MRamble, hiterss and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Nike

Nike Duke

What, no reverbs anymore, now is new Mick

sonnyrock likes this.
  5. CBackley

???? Did you even read my post? I’m saying it’s surprising to me how much the vocals on Route 66 sound like his modern phrasing. I explicitly said I am NOT claiming there are vocal overdubs.

6. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I hope your in no hurry to listen to these LP's, an order I placed more than a week and and half ago, just shipped, and these LP's were in stock. :shake:

7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Even with the high price tag, I'm having a really hard time not getting this. Look how much lower the GHS box is now. I might wait another week or so but if more raves come in regarding the sound quality for the vinyl, I doubt that I can hold off. If I pay $125 for One Steps, I guess I can find a way to justify this. I realize not the same thing, but this is the fing Stones we are talking about, so WTF, I'm got to have this in the collection.

enro99, CBackley and jgrillo like this.
  8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

This is definitely a nicer presentation for the CD release than I was expecting.

J_D__ likes this.
  9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I was focused on the alternate artqwork for Ya Yas, etc.

But maybe they were just print ads.

10. JR63

JR63 Forum Resident

I’ve been on the fence about purchasing the Tattoo You SDE set after reading all the bad reviews about the SQ, but after the most recent Amazon price drop to $68.32, I decided to give it a chance; mainly for the bonus content and the 1981 Wembley show. It’s supposed to arrive tomorrow. And now after reading all the glowing reviews here on the SHF, I’m also onboard for this new El Macombo release that’s scheduled to be delivered Sunday. It’s almost am embarrassment of riches, but can you really have too much live Stones music?

laf848, JuanTCB, Matthew Tate and 7 others like this.
  11. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

No

JuanTCB and JR63 like this.
  12. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

It wasn't a set-closer. It is a bonustrack, added at the end of the disc.

Matthew Tate and enro99 like this.
  13. TryioToast

TryioToast Forum Resident

Just listened to the atmos mix on Tidal with my Sony MR1-As. Really not a fan - the stereo version is far superior. I don’t know how to explain it but I think it brings out the bad elements of the mix, Charlie’s drums sound off and Mick is more buried in the mix.

frightwigwam likes this.
  14. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I've been quietly floating the notion that maybe they used the same "modern" reverb sound on Mick's voice, that he uses on the "new" vocals added to the unreleased tracks. I've only heard the four teaser tracks online, but I've listened to them a lot, and there are parts of "It's Only Rock and Roll" and "Tumbling Dice" that sound a lot to me like the vocals on the Tattoo You and Some Girls bonus tracks. Like you, I'm not claiming there are overdubs, but I think they maybe used the same general effect on Mick's vocals -- the vocals sound to my ears quite similar to the vocals on the modern mixes of "finished" '70s tracks they've released so far.

And I also wonder if maybe the "arena" reverb people have been complaining about so much here, is actually more of a "slapback" type echo, which may have been used to cover up any subtle flaws in the vocals and guitars in the mix. Sounds to me like they may have started with the echo/reverb on Mick's vocals, got that sounding the way he wanted it to sound, and then added a bit of the same echo to everything else.

Rockin' Robby and CBackley like this.
  15. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

This is one of the more enjoyable Stones live archive releases to date

16. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue.

Here's the review from Apple Music (when you open it up to play the album) - it's actually pretty well-written:

Toronto has long played a sizable role in the myth-making of The Rolling Stones. It’s been a home away from home for the group for decades, a place where they’ve set up shop to prep before hitting the road since at least as far back as 1989’s Steel Wheels tour. And during those months-long rehearsal stays, they’ve regularly held secret shows around town at small venues, such as the Horseshoe Tavern, RPM, and The Phoenix Concert Theatre. But the Stones’ Toronto club stint that started it all was a pair of shows at Spadina Avenue’s El Mocambo Tavern that took place March 4-5, 1977.

During one of their T.O. sojourns, their manager had the idea to put on a couple of tiny gigs to record some tracks for a forthcoming live compilation (which became 1977’s Love You Live) in front of the Stones’ devoted—but unsuspecting—fans. They held a contest with the help of a local radio station: What would you do to see the Stones play live? The prize? Well...the prize, officially, was the chance to see Montreal rockers April Wine (a going concern in Canada at the time), with an opening band called The Cockroaches. The winners were ferried by bus to the venue, at which point they would learn that The Cockroaches were, in fact, the Stones—and April Wine would dutifully play support act.

Those shows have gone down in Stones lore as some of the band’s most legendary, both for their on-form musicianship (Billy Preston also plays keys here) and the controversy that surrounded them. Estranged from her Prime Minister husband, Pierre, First Lady Margaret Trudeau showed up with Mick, partied with the band, and sparked a lifetime of rumours to follow. Guitarist Keith Richards was out on bail for the shows after being arrested the week prior for heroin and cocaine possession at the Harbour Castle Hilton. But the March 5 gig—presented in its entirety, along with a handful of March 4 tracks—is a snapshot of the Stones sounding as fun and alive and intimate as they ever would.

The delightfully sluggish opener, “Honky Tonk Women,” may not be the best evidence of the band’s bulletproof playing at that time. But with the rollicking “All Down the Line” and the slate of tracks from the previous year’s Black and Blue that follows, things coalesce quickly. Mick so fully present, and hilariously overdoing it, on songs like “Crazy Mama” and “Fool to Cry.” And by the time they’re halfway in, the taut “Dance Little Sister” and, appropriately, “Rip This Joint" are essentially the standard against which all other live rock performances of the era are measured.

While the blues classics from Love You Live—“Mannish Boy,” “Crackin’ Up,” “Little Red Rooster,” and “Around and Around”—have obviously been heard before, they’re given a more reverential framing among these 23 tracks. Here, they’re not so much curios slotted in with live tracks from late-’70s London, LA, and Paris arena shows, but rather illuminating details of the Stones’ bigger picture. There’s also a tender “Worried About You,” which wouldn’t arrive on a studio album until 1981’s Tattoo You. (The song doesn’t appear here, but the Some Girls standout “Miss You” began as a Jagger/Preston jam during the El Mo rehearsals.)

Decades later, their peers Roger Daltrey and Paul McCartney would deride the Stones as a mere pub band or blues-covers act, but in the context of this off-the-cuff showcase, as the Stones were transitioning away from the deep cultural significance of their late-’60s and early-’70s output to a more freewheeling, exploratory version of themselves, those supposed epithets couldn’t be more complimentary.

17. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Wow thanks for the heads up on that box set. In the cart - staring at the Checkout button haha

supermd likes this.
  18. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Enjoyed the stream a lot. Going to play this again later. The cd showed up earlier and I’m surprised that it’s just a cheap looking digipack given the pricing.

19. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I think what makes this release so unique is that it so explicitly demonstrates the band's raw power as performers. All that unbridled energy crammed on such a tiny stage--the energy is just exploding directly to our ears. A joy to listen to and another piece of the puzzle falls into place that finally cements the title World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band--which fans always knew was true all while knowing that the original live releases failed to collectively prove. These vault releases of recent years have practically rewritten the Stones' legend.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    laf848, Nike, JuanTCB and 7 others like this.
  20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Listening now, I see what you mean. Definitely original vocals but yeah you're right, goes to show how lucky that Mick's voice has stayed in such great shape. Unlike some other legendary British rock icon...ahem....cough... :hide: :tiphat:

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    CBackley and ssmith3046 like this.
  21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Got home to a surprise today. My CD package arrived today via an Amazon Prime package. I didn't expect it until a week later, at the earliest. That's the first time in at least a few years that a pre-order arrived on release day for me, with or without having Prime. Funny thing is, right now, I don't even have Prime. I canceled my Prime after the Holidays in January. Anyway, I'm very happy.

Nice little booklet with some nice pictures and liner notes. I like how the cover of the booklet is solid pink since it slides into the front slipcase behind the cut-out tongue to make the front cover of the slipcase.

On the outside of the plastic cover on the back, it said made in Austria. Without looking at the codes on the discs, I assume this was packaged and/or pressed in Austria. Printed on the back of the slipcase it says made in the EU and licensed to Universal International Music B.V. in the Netherlands.

Anyway, first thing I'm going to do is rip the CDs and listen while I finish up working on my computer. Then later listen on the stereo system, followed by in the car the next time I have to drive somewhere.

Fred Dender and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

Listening to it on Spotify now. not impressed with the mix. boomey,loud,reverby and modern. no soul to it.

Waiting on the vinyl,but so far Side 3 blows this out of the water soundwise.

23. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue.

There's one thing I don't understand about this release being spread out on 7 sides of vinyl.

It's one hour and 47 minutes long. That works out to average a little over 15 minutes per side. A look at the tracklisting confirms that it's mostly three songs per side (only two sides have four songs). These aren't long songs.

Reducing it to three LPs would average roughly 17:50 per side. Even that makes for fairly short LPs at a little over 35 minutes each.

Hell, if they had to, they could put it on two LPs and they would be 26:45 per side. At that point you're getting into reduced quality, but I'm only pointing out that it's quite possible and wouldn't be an insane amount of music to put on two records - it isn't unheard of. Of course, it wouldn't be optimal.

However, three LPs seems to make the most sense, to the point where adding another disk to spread it out further seems kind of silly. Especially as the 4th ends up having a side with no music. What's the point, other than the cash grab.... I'm guessing that's it?

Sorry if this has already been brought up. I haven't followed the thread completely.

24. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Can anyone with vinyl confirm that the booklet is included? Same one as the CD?

25. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

No booklet. But same pictures and text over the two gatefolds and four inner sleeves. And bigger. :)