The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Europe '72 is my favorite music release, period. But I've got to agree with Merrick, his reasoning is very sound.

MorningDew, OhioHead, Merrick and 4 others like this.
  2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Underrated China>Rider from 1/23/70 via Dave's 19:)

plus it’s an opener:)

Billy_Sunday, Quill, trd and 7 others like this.
  3. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I have heard the Allmans, Buckley, Khan, and Cash. You'll want the Allman Bros. set if you're into that band; get the deluxe version if you can. The Buckley set was disappointing to me; Dream Letter and other recordings from the era are better. The Khan set is beautiful. The Cash set is a surprisingly laid-back, sort of informal, show; not as charged as his Prison albums, but worthwhile for hearing another side of Johnny Cash.

You sure do ride the whirlwind, my dude.

trd, OhioHead, Merrick and 6 others like this.
  4. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Grateful dead and Klipsch! What a perfect combo.

trd and Paperback Writer like this.
  5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Tube driven Cornwalls here…

trd, texron, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Vince Welnick is a very good keyboardist.

That is all.

7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Indeed he was. Very underrated in the GD family

8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Don’t leave out the Flying Burrito Brothers set from the Avalon
    [​IMG]

9. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

You get it. I got some tube driven Fortes that are new to me and the wonderful live sound sent me on a Grateful Dead bender that is showing no signs of slowing down.

10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Deep into 2/26/81 here. Think any of these Uptown shows could see a release one day?

11. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Forum Resident

They're at the top of my list for the year. Which means we'll get something even better from May.

12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

This morning’s listening is Dave’s Picks #9 — Harry Adams Field House, University of Montana, Missoula, MT, 14/05/74.

“I might be movin’ to Montana soon
    Just to raise me up a crop of
    Dental Floss”

Aah, 1974 you beautiful bastard, it’s been too long.

The only show the Dead played in Montana, this one’s a real doozy—there’s an open airiness to the sound that just flows so wonderfully. It’s that special ‘74 blend of exceptionally exploratory jazzy-jammy perfection! A sparkling gem.

An impeccable setlist, an awesome relaxed vibe and superb band interplay throughout (especially from Billy, who puts on a drumming masterclass), with excellent versions of nearly everything played—I really could list it all (though I’ll try my damn hardest not to)!

After a sweet drum intro, and Phil’s bubbling, bouncing bass runs throughout, it’s Keith and Billy who are dominant here on a melodically tripped-out, twinkling Bertha opener—the sound is somewhat rather unbalanced which accounts for this “uniqueness” but is soon ironed out by the end of the song; I love this Loser. It’s dark and brooding, which patiently builds with Keith’s swirling B3 /Rhodes(?) creating an uneasy atmosphere—it’s a thick gooey mixture; there’s a particularly superb mid-1st set Scarlet Begonias, only the second-ever—this is super-energetic, fast and tight with Keith’s organ stabs lending texture as they enter a whirling, psychedelic-funk jam that segues pretty sweetly into a very fine, wonderfully crisp and bright Roses; a rollickin’ Big River totally smokes—it’s a get down and boogie, booty-shaking romp-fest; a real-smooth, chilled and laid-back Brown-Eyed Women is just syrupy goodness; and despite not quite landing, actually almost completely botching the Reprise (as for a moment time seems to slow down and stop as no one seems to be on the same page), and featuring two(!) Donna screams, there’s some outstanding interplay on a hugely exploratory and hard-driven, mega-jammy jazz-tinged monster PITB set-closer. Tremendous.

As magnificent as that 1st set was, and as good as the opening trio of songs in this 2nd set are, particularly a slow and tender Row Jimmy that percolates with subtle beauty; the show highlight comes with the extraordinarily complex Weather Report Suite > Dark Star > China Doll sequence, which is just so jaw-dropping astonishing—it’s real heady stuff—starting off smooth and gentle with a graceful WRS: Prelude > WRS: Part 1, which builds and peaks as Let It Grow jams heavily, segueing seamlessly into a Dark Star that ventures “way out” into free-form-avant-jazz-fusion-spacey weirdness territory culminating in an epic, screeching Feedback meltdown freak-out that’s quite terrifying and unnerving, before settling into a killer Bitches Brew-like groove riding it out until things almost come to a complete stop—you’re snapped out of your psychotropic trance … now, crystal clear clarity—you come to with tears streaming down your face, as a level of peace and calmness returns with the ever-beautiful, exquisitely delicate and intricate China Doll. Whoa! Talk about being put through the wringer. I’m not entirely sure how mere mortals creat this stuff. My mind is rattled and brain is fried after that! Gimme a minute …

… they close with a super-melodic, smooth-groovin’ Not Fade Away > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad that builds up to an ecstatic, thrilling climax with Jerry pushing pedal-to-the-metal and flicking the nitro-boost switch. Funk-rock at its finest.

Mega love for this one. I could easily crawl in and curl up inside of 1974 forever. A terrific Pick, and top-tier show; arguably as good as, if not better than the ‘74 PNW shows!

“Movin' to Montana soon
    (Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)”
    damn it Frank, not now!

I: Bertha, Me And My Uncle, Loser, Black-Throated Wind, Scarlet Begonias > It Must Have Been The Roses, Jack Straw, Tennessee Jed, Mexicali Blues, Deal, Big River, Brown-Eyed Women, Playing In The Band.

II: U.S. Blues, El Paso, Row Jimmy, Weather Report Suite > Dark Star > China Doll, Promised Land, Not Fade Away > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad.

E: One More Saturday Night.

[​IMG]
    1974/2014 Rhino Records (2) – R2-541133

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Not sure they have good sources in the vault for most of 1981.

fishcane likes this.
  14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Weeeeeelll shhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooot

15. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Earlier I said DaP36 was my only exposure to '87 Dead, but that was false. I also know Dylan & The Dead, which is playing right now.
    Not anywhere near my favorite of the band's releases, but I'm digging it this evening.

[​IMG]

16. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

I'll give those segments from 3/26/87 another go soon. Bird Song is solid.
    I did forget to mention Black Peter, that was a good one, too, but I always enjoy Black Peter.

17. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

How great is TGDMS???

18. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Forum Resident

It's all about GDTRFB.

19. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I’ve been streaming some Road Trips
    Tidal is well worth the money if you are sampling live shows
    Road Trips, Official live releases, special boxes - Europe 73, Cornell etc, 76

All in lossless mqa

11/15/71 Road Trips 3.2 Austin is interesting
    Decent recording - nothing earth shattering

They do an early set Dark Star / El Paso / Dark Star

It’s a catchy twist - trippy

Playing to the local flavor

Also it’s nice not having Donna wailing over the proceedings for a change

Pigpen lets his voice go raw at the end on Not Fade Away

[​IMG]

20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

TLDR

21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Wow, I should sign up to Tidal if they’ve got Europe ‘73?! That must be a rarity. ;)

Oh, that Trip absolutely smokes—it’s lean and mean, red-hot and rockin’ Fall ‘71 Dead. Git some!

22. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I love the description of Austin in the liner notes: "an oasis of peace and love in a desert of angry a**holes spoiling for a fight."

audiotom, Eyes74, KCWhistle and 7 others like this.
  23. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

adamos, US Blues, OhioHead and 5 others like this.
  24. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Just what I needed after a weird week, thank you!

Bananas&blow, Matthew Tate and Zafu like this.
  25. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

What can I say

Doh!

Those jams were really extended

Like into next year

[​IMG]