The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I've been watching portions of the Veneta viddy tonight (no, not just the naked pole guy portions, ya bleedin' great pillock) and I was reminded of an interview Jerry did where he was asked if the loss of much of the middle finger on his right hand was a hindrance to his playing, and his response was along the lines of: no, I've actually found it a very convenient place to tuck my pick when I want to change to finger-picking. Well, look no further than 01:18:54 of the Veneta video to see him deftly tuck his pick there during a Dark Star melt. It happens so quickly that you might have to watch a few times. That Dark Star has risen considerably IMO over the past 2-3 years. I used to have it barely cracking the top 20, and while I wouldn't call it top 10, it's one of those that rewards upon repeated listens. There's a helpful observation regarding Dark Star. :crazy:

The other thing I noticed is that while he almost never looks at his fingerboard when playing melodic stuff, he does look at it when playing atonal/dissonant riffs. I get the sense that his banjo and guitar training had been so ingrained that when he deviated from it was when he had to be sure he didn't accidentally get all tonal during a melt. That made me smile.

2. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

They will be on Dave’s Picks 44 (3/30/88) and Dave’s Picks 45 (6/25/95), respectively.

3. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

The only word I disagree with is “possibly”

Eyes74 and Instant Dharma like this.
  4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

That joke was made three days ago. Keep up, man! :p

5. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

“No. That’s not true. That’s impossible!” - Luke Skywalker, 1980

6. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Fast-forward four hours years … this arvo’s listening is Providence Civic Centre, Providence, RI, 14/05/78.

This show was released as part of the behemoth 30 Trips Around The Sun box set, aka “The Porch Crusher.”

There’s a wicked cool vibe and loose feel to this show, though make no mistake, there are fireworks—it is 1978 after all. It’s got that deeply intense groove happening. Its “on” and it’s f u c k i n g killer-diller.

A fantastic opening Mississippi Half-Step is extraordinarily chilled and mellow—super tasty; continuing that vibe, Cassidy (again, missing the final “flight of the seabirds” refrain, which seems the norm for this period) is gorgeously jammy gooeyness—I really dig these ‘78 versions, they’re tight and right-on-point; Bobby and Donna are in perfect sync for an impassioned Looks Like Rain that explodes with a stunningly fierce, powerfully emotive Jerry solo—a song many are usually indifferent to, this one is worthy of a listen; Yee-haw! …an outrageously energetic MAMU > Big River barely pauses for breath as they’re all collectively possessed, boogieing and leaning right on into it—a rollicking twofer; then whoa… upping the ante even further, Brown-Eyed Women brings the funk and gets down and grooves with a sparkling mid-jam full of shimming disco-like licks and fluid soloing; a massive, and I mean spectacularly hyooge 17-minute Let It Grow scorches all that came before it to close out a ridiculously great 1st set—the jamming is searching and exploratory, chopping and changing speeds and pushing and pulling in all different directions, experimenting with different tones, rhythms and grooves. It swings … hard. Bags ‘o energy, it is flat-out ridonkulous—pure insanity. This Let It Grow is jacked-up on ‘roids—a heaving, hulking beast. Face. Melted. Wow, one of the wildest versions I’ve ever heard.

That intensity carries over into the 2nd set …

“Good God of mine” … a thunderous Samson comes swaggering into town full of vim and vigour and proceeds to “tear this whole building down”—it’s absolutely relentless, they’re having fun on vocals too, growling and howling and spitting and spewing words with devilish glee; a steadying Ship is the only breather in the set; Well, sheeeeeeeee-it! … if you’re not prepared for it, this Estimated will rip your face clean off—the Wolf roars and sparks fly as Jerry attacks his solo with such powerful ferocity, before things simmer down into an exceptionally jammy space-funk outro which segues into a blistering, rapid-fast and frenetic Eyes. Well, damn … I’m blown away and totally taken aback by what has just occurred—they absolutely annihilate this duo with a sense of purpose and urgency I’ve rarely heard; there’s no ballad in the post-Drums slot, which seems a rarity—it’s just good ol’ rippin’ rock ‘n’ roll; with a loose-swinging groove, NFA appears out of Drums—I swear I hear a proto-West L.A. Fadeaway in the transition jam; then with an interesting and unique slide intro we’re Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad, picking up steam as we roll … it almost wants to pump the brakes but instead finds the gas, culminating in a madcap frenzied finish; “what a crazy sound” … a reelin’ and a-rockin’ Around And Around closer gets the joint, erm … rockin’; an animated Jer “waves it wide and high” and lets it all out on a wild and raging U.S. Blues encore—they’ve been smashing this one all year. “My, oh, my.”

That was exhilarating. IMO, it’s one of the best shows in the box.

I think more people need a little Spring ‘78 in their lives. C’mon everybody and get on-board. Sit down and strap in. Make yourselves comfortable. Well, all except you @US Blues as you’re our driver.

[​IMG]

I: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Cassidy, They Love Each Other, Looks Like Rain, It Must Have Been The Roses, Me And My Uncle > Big River, Brown-Eyed Women, Let It Grow.

II: Samson And Delilah, Ship Of Fools, Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Rhythm Devils > Not Fade Away > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad > Around And Around.

E: U.S. Blues.

[​IMG]
    1978/2015 Rhino Records (2) – R7-547369

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  8. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

9. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Wish I got paid by the pixel.

Eyes74, US Blues and batdude98 like this.
  10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I’ve said before, go big or go home.

Eyes74 and US Blues like this.
  11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Dude, I was gonna like your post, but then you up and done this:

“Also it’s nice not having Donna wailing over the proceedings for a change”

No like.

:laugh:

12. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Hell yeah, we love Donna in this house.

13. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Or maybe days three ago.

Eyes74, bzfgt, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The refs sucked. Sometimes thems the breaks.

trd, adamos, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Wind, wind, wind, wind, wind, and wind messing with sound plus various onstage equipment problems from what I gather. And bad logistics with traffic jams getting out.

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

One of my favorites in that box with Let It Grow as show MVP

18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

A hard yes! :righton:

19. Doctor Jimmy

Doctor Jimmy From Bach to the Beach Boys

1/11/79 - Jack Straw

Jerry plays a lightning fast solo. Wow! I think it's one of the fastest and most intense solos Jerry has ever played. SBD sounds very hissy.

20. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

I own Doc and Merle via iTunes, ABB (cd/vinyl), Johnny (vinyl), I very pleasantly surprised (really enjoy) when aDoc/Merle song plays via iTunes shuffle, so YES! Johnny mix is “panned” weird, vocals on side/instruments other side; within reason will buy almost any Bears Sonic Journal to keep the project flowing........

batdude98, YouCantWin and dsdu like this.
  21. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

This strikes me as so Jerry. The pretty stuff just happens, but the weirdness, he's thinking about it.

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The recommended recording of 11 Jan 1979- Nassau, is Keith Gatto's (RIP) audience pull.

23. US Blues

[​IMG]

Hockey refs are the worst.

zephyr25, trd, johnnypaddock and 3 others like this.
  24. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Saw DSO on Thursday

going again tonight at Capital Theatre in Port Chester, NY

Dreaming they play 5/14/74:)

first row Loge Left. Best spot in the house:)

25. US Blues

The @Dahabenzapple Zone! :goodie:

Paperback Writer and bzfgt like this.