Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Both would be out the door in Georgia around the same time in late 83 as Vince was taking everyone's talent.

In one of the Sheik's club challenges in Georgia, a pre-wrestling career Jim Hellwig is one of the people doing the challenge. I think it's out on youtube and can tell it's the Warrior right away.

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Too early. IMO it was just territorial movement. Neither was tied anywhere and Sheiky's program was over.
    I'm still not sure that Backlund knew he was going to be submitted. Seems to me his involvement with Skaalund ended right then. For the next few years his mantra was I never gave up, I never quit, I never submitted followed by a thumbs up.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  3. WarEagleRK

I don't agree. In early 83 Vince started airing matches from around the territories on All American Wrestling on USA to expose the WWF audience to all of this talent that he was hoping to get. Early in the expansion he would allow wrestlers to finish up. Greg Valentine and Roddy Piper were still doing Crockett house shows after their debuts aired on WWF TV, but make not doubt the raid of the territories started late 82/early 83.

Hogan was one of the 1st he pulled who didn't finish up. Of course Gagne continued to promote Hogan on shows for a couple of months after he left to keep those ticket sales up despite him being gone.

Backlund had to know he was losing. There wasn't a double cross there, otherwise there would be 2000 conspiracy theories about the MSG screwjob. The towel was used so Backlund could say he never personally gave up and save face. Arnold Skaaland was just a hold over from Vince Sr.'s run that Vince Jr. was required to keep on the payroll and he did for years keeping him with jobs behind the scenes and on screen. I think it was Skaaland and Gorilla who were a part of the inner circle who Sr. demanded Jr. take care of once he sold him the company.

This popped up on my timeline the other day...

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    Matthew Tate and JamieC like this.
  4. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Spiros Arion was teaming with Bruno vs Valiant Bros
    the infamous Arion turn (probably extended his career 5 years
    on All-Star

next week on Championship

Jay Strongbow was teaming with Bruno vs Valiant Bros
    the infamous Arion turn , again , lol

Bruno could have pulled his Italian Brother , and said "keep your eyes , open" .....lol

now lets Fash Forward apprx 10 ys

Peter Maivia was teaming with Bob vs Arion and Victor Rivera-
    Maivia turns in spectacular fashion
    on All-Star

next week on Championship

Jay Strongbow was teaming with Peter vs The Lumberjacks
    the infamous Peter turn , again , lol

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

From the AP
    The Mississippi Department of Human Services on Monday sued retired NFL quarterback Brett Favre and three former pro wrestlers along with several other people and businesses to try to recover millions of misspent welfare dollars that were intended to help some of the poorest people in the U.S.

The lawsuit says the defendants “squandered” more than $20 million in money from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families anti-poverty program.

The suit was filed less than two weeks after a mother and son who ran a nonprofit group and an education company in Mississippi pleaded guilty to state criminal charges tied to the misspending. Nancy New, 69, and Zachary New, 39, agreed to testify against others in what state Auditor Shad White has called Mississippi’s largest public corruption case in the past two decades.

In early 2020, Nancy New, Zachary New, former Mississippi Department of Human Services executive director John Davis and three other people were charged in state court, with prosecutors saying welfare money had been misspent on items such as drug rehabilitation in Malibu, California, for former pro wrestler Brett DiBiase.

DiBiase is a defendant in the lawsuit filed Monday in Hinds County Circuit Court, as are his father and brother who were also pro wrestlers, Ted DiBiase Sr. and Ted “Teddy” DiBiase Jr.

Ted DiBiase Sr. was known as the “The Million Dollar Man” while wrestling. He is a Christian evangelist and motivational speaker, and he ran Heart of David Ministries Inc., which received $1.7 million in welfare grant money in 2017 and 2018 for mentorship, marketing and other services, according to the lawsuit.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

omg are the promos between becky lynch and asuka some of the worst stuff i've ever seen. makes the ultimate warrior sound like ric flair

WarEagleRK likes this.
  7. WarEagleRK

The only part of Raw that I saw last night while flipping through the channels. It guaranteed I wouldn't be watching more. Even without the horrible sounding promos, it was backstage with nobody holding a mic. I hate those fly on the wall segments. Why would there be a camera there?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

thats about what happened to me flipping channels. i don't mind that they have accents but the entire thing sounded like they were rushing lines and it was a garbled mess. neither really sound that threatening either delivering lines. like you said too no mic anywhere in site but we hear them crystal clear

9. WarEagleRK

I remember when going backstage into the locker rooms on wrestling TV was an event. It was either an interview before or after a big match or an angle with a brawl that got so out of control it took you back there. Those things only happened a couple of times a year and they had impact. There was some gravity to the situation. I think that art is lost across all of pro wrestling.

The angle below happened in February 1987, I think the last time Crockett went into a locker room was April 86 when the Horsemen attacked Ricky Morton in the locker room. Each time it had impact. The below was done perfectly.

MikeInFla, JamieC, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  10. WarEagleRK

The only problem was the announcers continued to be confused for far too long as to why heel Jimmy Garvin would come out after his babyface brother had been attacked.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Jimmy turned face HARD!
    His kayfabe brother. Actually his father in law. They usually were not in the same promotion, although the kayfabe relationship was somewhat established and they had tagged in the past.
    I was a Gorgeous Jimmy fan since he arrived in World Class.

905, MikeInFla and WarEagleRK like this.
  12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

13. WarEagleRK

I knew they weren't real brothers.

If you can find footage of the Garvin's heel run in Montreal vs the Rougeau Brothers in Montreal from 1985, check it out. It's a great little run.

Jimmy Garvin was fairly good up until his Freebirds run, then he fell off a cliff. The 1990 Freebirds were one of the worst pushed big time teams with actual talent in a major promotion of that era. It's like Hayes and Garvin were looking for anything or any look to stay on top but working hard in the ring was optional.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Ric Vs Jay part 2:

RayS and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The Greco-Roman poke in the eyes was especially effective.

Valkenburg, MYQ1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

First used to great effect by the great Moe Howard, who unfortunately never held a title. There is film of him seconding his brother though....:D

Valkenburg, FritzL, MikeInFla and 2 others like this.
  17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

For what it's worth, IMO Roddy Piper was the master of the eyepoke. It has to be done quickly and accurately. The target is the underside of the eyebrow moving upward essentially rubbing the eyebrow. Oh and Sell sell sell.

If you watch the Stooges closely Moe usually hits almost on the forehead.

Valkenburg and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. RayS

True, but man could Larry sell!

Valkenburg, 905, WarEagleRK and 2 others like this.
  19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

20. WarEagleRK

noname74 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

By the way, I don't believe that Andre The Giant was 7' 4". Hulk Hogan was 6' 7" (now 6'4 1/2").

[​IMG]

22. Matthew Tate

i think Andre was really 7 foot even

ZackyDog likes this.
  23. RayS

24. WarEagleRK

If you believe Hogan, Andre was 7'7" 700 pounds that day when he pressed him over his head in front of over 200,000 fans and Andre died a week later. The whole time, he'd also have you believe that he wasn't sure if Andre would let him win or not.

Matthew Tate and blutiga like this.
  25. RayS

At one point Andre also became "wart infested".

Matthew Tate likes this.