A re-evaluation of Rush

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rpd, May 14, 2022.

1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

heh, people who have trouble dealing with Geddy should check out some Hammill ;)

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Personally I like the songwriting, and the lyrics, even though I don't always agree with Neil's perspective.
    Geddy takes a minute to get used to, but personally I couldn't imagine anyone else singing with them these days.
    Neil's drums? Personally I think they're perfect

3. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

For me, it's
    Counterparts
    Grace Under Pressure
    Presto

The least of which is still at least 7.5/10

4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I still live in hope that I'll click with it. I'll happily agree that Headlong Flight and The Garden are highlights, though. :righton:

5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I don't get why people single out The Trees when they talk about Neil Peart lyrics that are goofy.

Is it a bit on the nose? Sure. But I always found it to be a lot of fun, myself.

Plus it's a great track musically, and for me rock lyrics are almost always very secondary (or tertiary) - I find 99% of pop music lyrics are utter tosh anyway (even those by the "greats" like Dylan) - something to hang the hooks or groove on.

For me and goofy Peart lyrics, I'd point to most of Caress of Steel and 2112. Definitely a bit of an awkward period for him lyrically. He started to come out of it with A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres, but not fully until Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

6. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Well go do that, then.

Wounded Land and Instant Dharma like this.
  7. Sean7777

Sean7777 Forum Resident

No I don't see it, any of it

8. dalecooper

dalecooper Forum Resident

Nailed it completely.

Rush are what they are. Their idiosyncracies are part and parcel of why I like them. If they had a normal singer, a calmer drummer, less... let's say ambitious, lyrics? Maybe they'd rub fewer people the wrong way. They'd also be some other band and a hell of a lot less interesting.

I like Geddy and Neil as is. I like Rush as is. I love a handful of their albums and like most of the others. And I find that true maturity allowed me to enjoy them more, rather than less. Late twenties me was very concerned with growing up and viewed some aspects of Rush as silly. Pushing-fifty me is glad I later gave them a second chance. They are sui generis and iconic as they are.

CharlesS, PDK, pexie and 9 others like this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah those are all in the middle for me as well. A half good Rush album is better than 95% of anything. ;)

Fischman likes this.
  10. Snow1

Snow1 Forum Resident

Rush are pretty unique in my collection. Great musicians, great melodies and Peart wrote some thought-provoking lyrics.

Their album run from 2112 to Grace Under Pressure is just stuffed with classic after classic. And has a band ever ended on such a beautiful, poignant track as The Garden?

11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Oh man Got something in my throat, its making my eyes water…

Fischman likes this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Look at us two, grown ass mature adults….its just a stupid song. Wait why is Alex playing piano?

Fischman likes this.
  13. dee

dee Senior Member

I think they are thought of more highly now or respected more even by people who aren't big fans of theirs. Maybe. Their longevity, their dedication to playing, it being just the three of them, that they were able to adapt their sound and style from the 70s to the 80s, that it genuinely seemed like their music was important to them and their fans. Certainly they had to have in their song catalog what they did between say 1976-1985 and that's normal for most groups - to define much of their most enduring work in about a decade span - and they were able even then to keep playing and recording for decades after and maintain a very high level of commitment and skill.

Lee's tone of voice did change from very early to mid and later years so that was an important development for my enjoyment of them. Peart's best lyrics are as good or better than many and the three of them made some indelible and magnificent music together.

Some of a musician's art or songs is 'just work' and 'necessary' and not always going to be transcendent or popular. At their best, they were both of those things.
    And they were always Rush.

14. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

Yup. Asked for opinions….about my thread. Glad to have them. You are saying I should have not created the thread!

15. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Hated them when I was about 15, but have grown to love them over time. Probably listen to them more now than ever before. I find the post-Moving Pictures albums all merge into one, though.

16. Smith

Smith I'm cyanide over you.

Wretched stuff for stunted adolescent boys.

You're headed the right direction, brother.

Mr. Heartbreak likes this.
  17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The fact that people hate them make me love them even more so, guilty as charged.

joy stinson and dalecooper like this.
  18. Fischman

You'll not be fighting that battle alone, brother.

51IS, ARK, Flaevius and 1 other person like this.
  19. Fischman

Exceedingly thoughtful lyrics
    Unparalleled musicianship
    Astonishing longevity

I wish I was so badly stunted!

proedros, dalecooper, cnolanh and 7 others like this.
  20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I disagree with this entire critique, except I do think Rush has unique vocals, but in a good way.

Seems like you just came to the conclusion that you just don't really like Rush. Which is OK, but it's really not something others should have to talk you out of. I don't like Kiss, therefore I don't start threads about them. My opinion of them is helpful to no one.

But good luck attracting the Rush trolls. There's quite a few obviously.

21. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

The biggest hits like Fly by night, Closer to the heart, Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Subdivisions are unimpeachable and completely withstand the criticism you unleash. The rest of the catalog is decidedly more niche.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    moodyxadi and Instant Dharma like this.
  22. I do, occasionally, more often than I listen to Rush, which is never.

23. I liked New World Man. That was what, 40 years ago? He sang it in a lower register that didn't sound like a munchkin.
    Too bad he didn't do it more often.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, I was a bit over the top with the hate thread thing. My apologies. But the rest, Ill stand by. Rush is Rush. Just like The Beatles are The Beatles. Well, unless they are the Rutles :D

Yep, Ive listened to the lyrics. But then again some of Zeppelins lyrics are cringy as hell too. Yet they remain one of my favorite bands.

Rush to me is more about the instruments tbh. And the melodic nature of Geddy's vocals.

DrJ and Instant Dharma like this.
  25. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I feel like listen to some Rush.

PDK and Instant Dharma like this.