Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

To me, it’s not just about getting better and better versions of albums. I like to get different versions of my favorites, even when they’re widely discussed as not the best. It’s fun to have a different listening experience sometimes. I think I’m up to at least 12-13 different versions of Ziggy Stardust, for example.

My mantra: Do what you like. Buy and collect what you like. Listen to what you like. Talk about it and share your joy.

2. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yeah, me too, it doesn't have to be the best to be in my collection. What is really interesting is when you get same titles home, and see how different the packaging can be viewing side by side.

Oh, and I have the Ziggy Stardust your collection is missing.:whistle:

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That's fine.

And.. What about someone who buys 10 copies of a limited edition item for the purpose of flipping them for well above retail?

RobCos02330 and CBackley like this.
  4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Well, flippers are subhuman demon spawn. I was referring to people with some level of decency. :)

5. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Why is that your concern?
    All records will be sold at some point, all records go OOP, the secondary market is an asset for people who missed out when the record was new. I've bought $2000 records, as well as $200, $500 $1000, none of them cost that at retail and I'm glad the secondary market is around to make it possible.

Some of you guys live in la la land, I hate to say, the mentality is very goofy. You want a record, go buy it, don't worry about what other buy or even do with the records they buy. I have 1000s of records that will sell for well over the retail price, you all act like they should always remain the price as first sold.

In fact I don't know how many times I bought records and box sets in my record store shaking my head and say are people stupid or something. Then when it is sold out everyone wants it and they are a day late and a dollar short, blaming others for their own short sightedness.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  6. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Depends on how you look at it. Not everyone lives near a great record store. Maybe they just do not have the time to find it or would not get up at 4 AM to get in line. The 10 buyers for those records where happy with their purchase and the seller provided a needed service. No one made those buyers pay extra. They did it because they wanted the album.

Boots71 and 4-2-7 like this.
  7. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

@4-2-7 when I say investment, I am talking about flipping for more money when the prices go up.

I get having a backup copy, although they seem unnecessary if you take care of your records.

and I stand by my statement that it is a travesty that people keep records sealed in hopes they will turn a profit on it when someone else out there could be listening to it.

AnalogJ and Swordsandchains like this.
  8. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

Honestly, I miss the days where most releases were regular MFSLs, with only a very select, sonically- superior titles being chosen for (what was then) UHQR treatment. We don’t need UD1S version of Van Halen spread across two discs, when a single, very good sounding version of the record on Supervinyl would be more than sufficient.

As for entire catalogs, I wonder why they don’t do the box sets like in the past - the Beatles set, the Stones set, the Sinatra set - it would be cool to have a Miles set, an Eagles set and a VH set. Licensing maybe. Price certainly isn’t an issue in this market.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Quantity, as I mentioned in numerous threads, has shrunk dramatically in recent years for both MFSL & AP.

• MFSL got 10 out last year. MFSL has released 4 so far this year, including One-Steps... with only a single one enjoying its first audiophile release (though released previously on CD by DCC).
    • AP is on life support with only 4 albums in 2021, 2 of which enjoyed their first audiophile release. AP has released only 2 this year, including UHQRs.

Check out how many albums they were putting out just 5 years ago. MFSL's production was twice as much per year! AP released *60* albums back then in a single year. Seeing the catalog shrink from about 80 releases/year to 14 in 5 years is not a small difference.

But it is. People will think nothing of spending 6x$100 spread through 2 years for some albums VS $600 in one shot for a boxset. Add to that how a lot of people won't want all of them and you're immediately increasing your chances of selling out each title. It's a strategy that makes perfect business sense to me.

10. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

@Strat-Mangler Regarding AP’s output, their own branded stuff is down (although I was kind of surprised at just how down, according to your figures -wow), but they are pressing multitude of high volume titles for other brands, such as all of the Blue Note stuff. Maybe this works out to be more profitable for them, as they seem to be busier than ever. I would think they would “follow the money” If releasing their own branded stuff made more sense to them.

11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I think the "subhuman demon spawn seed" was right, as @CBackley suggests, as a description for those completely lacking the compassion and understanding genes. But, well, perhaps we are being too kind. :rolleyes:

RobCos02330 and CBackley like this.
  12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’d be fine if they did them all in the same fashion as Sketches of Spain. Make them 33 rpm in a nice jacket, smaller box or no box.

Ban the box, it is pointless.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  13. Wreckords

Wreckords Forum Resident

interesting actually looking at the numbers of new releases with AP and MFSL. It seems like Acoustic Sounds has been putting out a lot of new titles under the Acoustic Sound Series. I am not sure I completely understand the difference is between Analog Productions label and Acoustic Sound Series. From a quality perspective they seems to be on par, I am guessing it is just a difference with the rights/label??

It also seems that acoustic sounds seems to be focusing on lower priced audiophile LPs (contemporary series starts at $30) while MFSL is focusing on high priced one steps.

i am guessing that both labels are focusing on represses rather than new reissues. I think a lot of new and young people have entered the market and both are trying to capitalize. It’s a lot easier to make profit on selling a repress that and new re-issue. Hope though as they meet this new demand they start to pivot and focus on new re-issues

14. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

This seems to be the main difference from my perspective. I said this in another thread, but I think that AS/AP is probably doing the various Acoustic Sounds Series in part because the labels want to get in on the audiophile reissue game. So, we’re seeing AS partner with Verve and Craft/Contemporary rather than licensing the rights to put them out as AP releases. Personally, I don’t much care which brand or label these are coming out on as long as they keeping coming out and continue to be high-quality.

Wreckords likes this.
  15. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Universal and Concord are just contracting with AP to have them do the work to get everything out. Chad gets a more mainstream recognition with the Acoustic Sounds tag and gets paid for manufacturing etc but Universal and Concord get more than just a licensing fee and get a bigger chunk of sales of stuff since you can buy them on lets say Amazon and has worldwide distribution.

since they dont have guys like Don Was in house they contract with Chad who knows what hes doing

Gdgray and YouCantWin like this.
  16. Swordsandchains

AP/QRP isnt pressing any blue note stuff

this_machine likes this.
  17. violarules

violarules Senior Member

He's probably thinking of the AP Verve/Impulse series.

this_machine and Swordsandchains like this.
  18. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with that, if the price goes up on a record because others got very interested in it, why should someone sell theirs for less? I mean this is what gets people to sell in the first place, someone is willing to pay more than what the seller feels it's worth to them just to keep it.

No what the travistry is, is you think everyone as well as yourself should be able to own everything you want, at the price you want. The travistry is you feel everyone should do and think like you do. I've already brought up in record collecting and selling them, there is a grading system. A factory sealed record is at the top of the scale, so some people keep some records sealed.

You don't need one specific record to listen to the music, there are numerous other copies as well as formats that could be cheaper and even free.

You seem to think that if someone bought a $35 record and it now sells for $300, they should only sell it for $35. I don't think you would do that nor should you think others should do it. Record stores and online retailers don't do that either, they are not going to buy records and sell them for what they paid for them, or even less. Your position is nonsensical as it wouldn't help anyone, so they wouldn't do it. If everyone who bought a record kept the records they got, there would be no opportunity for others to acquire copies they missed out on.

I've already brought up that all records are limited and will go OOP. It doesn't matter if it was on the store shelves for 10 years at $25. Once sold out and if it was desirable the price will go up and others who missed out will be happy to be able to find copies on the secondary market. The first places to sell out are online retailers and record stores who sell online. The next to sell out are local record stores who don't sell online, lastly are collectors, personal libraries, and the secondary market. If we didn't have sites like this and other secondary market places to sell records, there would be a lot less opportunity to get specific titles.

I just have to say, noobs getting into buying records do a lot of whining about what they really don't know has kept records in circulation prior to them even being around. This concept is a new entitlement trend I've been seeing voiced over the past 5 or 6 years that really wasn't expressed before. I can't wait for all these noobs to go find something else to do with their time, and sell their records online at the prices they paid or less for them.

High Rant District likes this.
  19. Swordsandchains

i feel like youre not grasping his point. The problem he (and i have, and many people have) is people who ONLY buy the record to keep it sealed on a shelf and never listen to it. Its one thing if i buy a record for $20 and listen to it and then 10 years later people are paying $500 and I decide to sell it because thats just stupid money.

I dont care if people sell records for more money than they paid for, i have a problem with people who ONLY buy a record with the pure intention to sell it, and nothing more.

bluesfan, AnalogJ, supermd and 3 others like this.
  20. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

this. 100%.

RobCos02330, AnalogJ, supermd and 4 others like this.
  21. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Judgemental much?
    You also failed to address my question, Why is that your concern?

22. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Perhaps your not grasping what I'm saying, and have been saying over and over.

And

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  23. Swordsandchains

No i always grasp what youre saying, you buy multiples of records as backups (unnecessary) and have multiple copies of the Journey MFSL. You just have a different definition of record collecting than other people.

24. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

I've seen you make this argument recently and I believe it is misguided to analyze success through the lens of "new releases" as you define it. I understand that for someone whose been around, new releases are important. But new releases has nothing to do with whether a company is financially healthy or "on life support" as you put it when they are repressing their existing catalogue and selling it faster than they can press it. In late 2021 they obtained a new license to repress 50 (fifty!) AP Prestige titles that were thought to be out of print. So not technically new, but new for many. They are pressing thousands of these and selling out almost instantly. How is that life support?

I am more in agreement with you regarding MoFi, but not because of the lack of new releases. I am more in line with @Drew769 in that switching focus to to $125 UD1S releases is not necessary and I would add that it is only going to continue to work while in this Pandemic-induced economic bubble. Anyone who is paying attention understands that the economic bubble is in the process of bursting right now, and I believe MoFi is at risk if all they are positioned to sell is ultra-expensive records to the exclusion of their regularly-priced catalogue.

25. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yes different than many but not all, many buy and collect records like I do.
    However, I don't go online and belittle people for how they want to enjoy records with an arrogance and perceived higher moral ground that what I do everyone should do.

That's why I keep presenting AnalogJ with the question,Why is that your concern?

My whole life has been centered around restoration and preservation. I know with every hobby that involves collecting the gems are "As factory delivered" "New Old Stock (NOS)" things are only new once. Who am I to deprive future generations to have an opportunity to have the best of something? I feel I'm only a caretaker of the records in my collection, while I can enjoy the music on them, I hope when I'm done with them others can as well.

I know some people buy records and as soon as they get it they rip it open like a kid on Christmas morning. I'm not a kid, I have so many records I can't get around fast enough to listen to them as soon as they come into my possession. It might take me a year or years till I find I'm in the mood to listen to it, or maybe someone comes over and wants to hear it. For instance, I got a box full of RSD titles, I spent a $1000 that day, but have yet to listen to one single title yet. Records come out way faster than I can get around to spinning them all, but that's not going to stop me from adding them to my library. I also know some people don't spend that much in a year on records, but that was only a quarter of what I spent in april on records new and used.

Anyway, people make themselves look stupid when online feeling they have some moral superiority on how they enjoy records by belittling other who don't do what they do.