Jethro Tull The Broadsword and the Beast SW remix and sessions coming in 2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

We need some fresh news here. urgently.

2. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Nelly was played more often. Or wasn't it Nellie?

3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

o_O Very patient I am. I played the remaster recently.

[​IMG]

Instant Dharma and folkfreak like this.
  4. Tullhead

Tullhead Forum Resident

It was played for the first part of the 1987 European tour but dropped after that. It was also played on the 1990 UK tour.

5. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

True, but I stopped thinking once I reached circa 1993.

Those few songs rarely played around 1976 are a gem.

Tullhead likes this.
  6. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

7. folkfreak

Maybe it will be included in the box as well then...

electronicpaperboy and tootull like this.
  8. Daniel Falaschi

But wasn't this already released in the Jack in the Green DVD? Or does "full" mean new tracks?
    People have said that all the existing footage from the show has been released.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  9. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Perhaps it's going to be a new improved transfer.

folkfreak likes this.
  10. Daniel Falaschi

Yeah, probably. I don't see IA spending money to remaster a footage if there are no plans to release it with the box set. Was the audio a mono source?

folkfreak likes this.
  11. folkfreak

Yeah. And I prefer to have it bundled in the box than on the Jack in the green DVD.
    This concert is very special to me. Ca 1986 when I saw my dad again after a longer time (I was about 14) he had a video recorder and cable TV, both was absent at my home, and back then this concert was repeated quite often on the now defunct ZDF Musikkanal, and it was one of the first Tull things I video taped back then.
    In 1989 this concert also was the first bootleg CD I ever bought (Jethro Tull live, on Juggler records)...

12. tootull

:cool::cool::cool: This year, yeah! :) Bring me more news and clear understanding.

Songbook: A Guide To Every Album By Progressive Rock Giants Jethro Tull, From 'This Was' To 'The Zealot Gene'
    While synths occasionally trapped A in amber; they're woven in far more seamlessly on its follow-up. "We took the new technology and married it with folk-rock," Anderson explained in The Ballad of Jethro Tull, calling it "a good album and full of light and shade."

Indeed, The Broadsword and the Beast is a welcome return to form, with synth textures adding vividness and color to the songs. Despite tanking in America — probably due to the very non-single title track being the single — the record fits snugly with their '70s masterworks.

From the feisty "Beastie" to the irresistible "Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow," excellent tunes abound here. But the inarguable centerpiece is "Jack-A-Lynn": a downcast acoustic ballad studded by a melancholic synth motif and, eventually, detonating into stadium rock.

folkfreak likes this.
  13. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Funny, Ian often heals praise in Broadsword and mentions how well it did in some countries, and then nothing from it ever makes the setlist and we get the same old tired standards!

14. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The Ministry of Information website has the setlist from Westfalenhalle, and it matches what's on the DVD except with "Intro/Clasp/Hunting Girl" at the beginning. The slashes make me think it's either a medley or the tracks are somehow segued together. Setlist.fm shows the same tracks. It's conceivable that they played a reduced setlist that night because they knew the show was for a TV performance - compare the Madison Square Garden show four years earlier, with a truncated set list relative to other shows they played in 1978.

If Jethro Tull doesn't own the German footage, then it's possible they just licensed it for a limited showing. It doesn't rule out a physical release later on; one could surmise that the YouTube release is time-limited specifically because they're putting it out later and don't want to suppress the market.

tootull and errant_knight like this.
  15. tootull

:waiting:

Good DVD
    Jethro Tull Jack In The Green DVD Live In Germany 1970-1993

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

folkfreak and Dennis Metz like this.
  16. SJB

I like that DVD, and made a CD-R of an audio rip (minus the stuff from 1970, which doesn't sit well with the more modern stuff, and "Hunting Girl" from 1986, which is incomplete and has a voice-over at the beginning). I've also enjoyed listening to the 1982 concert streaming on Wolfgang's.

JulesRules likes this.
  17. Daniel Falaschi

But I liked those 1970 clips. In fact, I think that a release with the many 1969-1970 TV performances is long overdue. Even the Sweet Dream Top of the Pops clip has popped up recently.

Anthrax and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  18. SJB

I like the 1970 clips too. But the Jack in the Green DVD is too long to fit on an 80-minute CD-R, so it made the most sense to cut two tracks from a very different time period, with somewhat wonkier sound. The only reason the Beat Club performances were included with the later material is that they, too, were recorded in Germany. There are now multiple concert recordings available from 1970. Also, one of the two 1970 songs on the DVD is an aborted attempt at "Nothing Is Easy," which Ian cut off twice because he apparently had cramps or a pulled muscle (judging from his movements and facial expressions, and apologetic captions describing the band's punishing touring schedule).

I would welcome a comprehensive video release of the band's early TV performances, including the Beat Club material, the Top of the Pops miming, and other period material. Here's an interesting video for "Living in the Past" (which purports to be a recording session, but the video begins with a sign for "Grosvenor Studio" which is not where the track was recorded):

A DVD/Blu-ray of early performances would be a nice companion to a CD of the original mixes of the early singles - you can get all the way to the Life Is a Long Song EP on one disc, with room to spare for the canceled "Lick Your Fingers Clean"/"Up to Me" pairing.

19. SJB

Another good 'un, a lip-synched "Bouree" from French TV:

The other band members get a bit more camera time here than on the clip posted above (which features a sustained shot of Ian for about half its running time). It always mystifies me that they would have the whole band present for these video shoots, but then devote most of the footage to tight closeups of the front man.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  20. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

So is July still the go?

21. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Yeah, I missed that tour and the only Broadsword song I ever saw ('84 thru '98) was "Pu*sy Willow." Instrumental in '92, vocal in '98. One of their best post-70s tunes, IMO, so was very welcome both times.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    Lands End Drums likes this.
  22. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

P Willow was dropped for the US 84 tour but I think Clasp was still played?

23. I th
    I think it’s been stated on a few occasions by David Rees -and he would know-that it’s been put off to 2023 with March release the most likely.

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

With Broadsword & The Beast as my all-time favorite Tull album (sorry, I came late to the party with this band) I can't wait to hear this mixed into surround and all I can say to David Rees and Ian is, "I WANT IT NOW" ...

25. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

I don't want to like this post but sadly it appears you are correct.

Hope we'll be proven wrong but I doubt it.