Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo Show release*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark-10, Feb 17, 2022.

1. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It's not brickwalled. I've been blasting it. It's not brickwalled. It sounds great.

2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I've listened several times, and overall I've heard worse in my life, but there is one song (forget which) which makes me go 'uh-oh' every time it starts.

pryp likes this.
  3. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

To put things straight: I've been referring to the vinyl version all along. I haven't listened to any digital version. But the vinyl sounds fantastic and you too will find out when you recieve it. You are in for a blast.

Jam757 likes this.
  4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

So, "Mannish Boy" starts out as a 100% clone of LYL at the beginning, but morphs into something else before it's done. Anyone else hearing it?

ExHead and MRamble like this.
  5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

FWIW, B&B shipped platinum. What happened next is left as an exercise for the reader.

6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

You think Preston was the problem with MR in '75-'76?

7. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I felt that way with Around and Around.

TonyCzar likes this.
  8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

For a while now, simply posting the numbers on a release can get you some flak. Just be happy no one has called you a music-hating elitist. But there's still time...

9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I don't care for brickwalled mastering either, but my ears don't hurt when I listen to this.

stef1205 and ssmith3046 like this.
  10. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

On what versions of this release is the Atmos. I am listening to the HDtracks. I agree a bit more echo, and probably somewhat bricked, but all in all this is a great release.

GZ?

11. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Is this a digital source vinyl release ?

12. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

They have several more unreleased live multitrack recordings from 1975/1976 they can still use for a Black & Blue box set. Paris, London, Nice France, Toronto, plus some other US dates.

13. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Listening to this now…this rocks!

Question: who’s playing the harp on “Mannish Boy”? I can tell Mick’s mid ’70s harp style, and can tell when he’s playing it, but there’s clearly a harp going throughout the song, and it doesn’t sound like it could’ve been Mick.

sharedon likes this.
  14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Not unless he can sing and play at the same time...you're right. At 3rd listen. I started wondering about things like that, in particular "Who the heck is THAT?" on bg vocals.

15. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Yeah this is awesome I don’t care that I got taken for $30 on the cd even. I’ve paid more for less too many times to count. Cheers.

mark_j and streetlegal like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I know Atmos is available on Apple Music. That’s how I’m listening to it.

17. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Agreed with all the above. I am a huge admirer of Billy Preston's talents. Card-carrying fan here. But my feelings about Preston within the Stones sit squarely between the above and opinions below, but leaning more so on the fact that he just didn't fit with the Stones live on stage as well as he fit with The Beatles, or the Stones for that matter, in the studio.

Agreed. I had never heard any of the 75 shows when LA '75 was released. I was stoked when I learned that Preston was on this tour but when finally listening to the performances I didn't think it really truly fit. Whatever space he did make for himself seemed to really stick out--some examples listed above.

On the Mocambo set it's fun to hear the colors he's adding on piano but there's a contrast that's happening that gives me the opposite effect of the results he brought with The Beatles.

All Down The Line likes this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

The DR numbers are basically all down to 9 at this point in the Stones' Universal catalog, and that alone at 24-bit is not a dealbreaker. I bought the "Bridges" and "Tattoo You" 2009 masters at 24 bit and I think they sound ...okay. "Good", even, if I'm being generous. The superdeluxe 2021 "Tattoo You", however, is a mess. Bought the 24-bit digital for $15. Sampled the core album. Hated it. The catalogue is definitely on a one-way ride to hell in a handbasket. Say what you will about ABKCO, they know the meaning of the word "assets".

ABKCO: Let's mount our stash of master analog tapes on vintage equipment and capture the result in DSD.
    Universal: Let's throw our tapes on the fire.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  19. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I personally think the audio of this show doesn't sound brickwalled at all. Maybe a little compressed but nothing that extreme to get to "brickwalling" levels IMHO. Either way the compression amounts honestly don't seem bad to me, the audio was totally fine on cans and speakers

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    hiterss, Sis+erRay, supermd and 5 others like this.
  20. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

It comes from tape at some point. it wasnt digitally recorded at the venue,but along the way to finished product its been brutally butchered by digital sausage fingers...

Rockin' Robby, James_S888 and John D. like this.
  21. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Yes, but you were only listening with your ears. You needed to be looking at a graph and comparing the waveforms on an an oscilloscope to know for sure if it sounded good.

Great release, one of the best Stones products in years!

Sciflyer, mark_j, stef1205 and 8 others like this.
  22. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Totally agreed on all counts! I am enjoying the hell out of this release. Honestly sometimes I do wonder if people are using "brickwalled" just as a synonym for "anything less than DR14"

mark_j, stef1205, Sis+erRay and 5 others like this.
  23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I thought the GP (grandparent post) was odd. If I know something is brickwalled, or just plain never lets up in the dynamics, I don't put it centimeters away from my eardrum with no escape.

24. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

Im happy for you. i dont complain for the sake of complaining. Its not possible for me to enjoy brickwalled,digital,reverbey releases. it sucks actually.

I have realised that theres subjectivity in this matter.

frightwigwam and Rockin' Robby like this.
  25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

There's subjectivity just on this album. An earlier vinyl review said that ADTL sounded generic, and could even be from 1978. I think that goes for the sonics on that one as well. I remember now that I start feeling a little fatigued at the end of ADTL. But the new album as a whole is not an 80-minute assault (IMHO).