Beatles without Ringo and George

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flaxton, May 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

COP OUT on Joni... :D she had a great tangent on her own, not a guitar goddess though.

and i'm sure she got her way every time in her recordings :D

besides, I'm sure Wayne Shorter and Joe Zawinul kept a strong leash on Jaco, all things considered, Joe was often running those bass lines with his right hand to make it stronger... :D

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

A friend of mine, a drummer who idolized the drumming of 70’s-Genesis Phil Collins, always had a flippant attitude towards Ringo. Then at one point, he and I were a part of a one-night Beatle band. For the weeks leading up to this one glorious performance, all five of us (we incorporated a keyboard player), did our utmost to replicate all the parts from the studio recordings. Once this whole episode concluded, my friend had an entirely rebooted opinion of Ringo as a drummer. Not only a newfound overall respect, but he actually started pointing out aspects of Collins’ playing that contained overt Ringoisms. For me, that said a lot.

notesfrom, Hombre, 2141 and 2 others like this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

On U2, I never had a problem with what the rhythm section actually played as I did with the actual sound of the bass…one of the boomiest, muddiest I’ve ever heard on any bands’ recordings.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  4. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue.

Yeah, I bet!

I remember learning Something on bass when I wanted to record it on my own. It's obviously a song I know as well as you can know a song, like all Beatles for me (and you) but I really wasn't fully aware of how incredible the bassline was. The notes chosen are just jaw-droppingly beautiful. It is its own song, independent from the main melody.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  5. 7solqs4iago

tell your friend to see The Musical Box for a great imitation of Phil, even looks like him, for the Peter era... I've been 6 times and hopefully will a few more times D:

complete replay of The Lamb this year...

6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Agreed 100% (I feel the exact same way about George’s solo as well).

7. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

not according to John lennon

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don’t know if it’s the same drummer but the two of us, along with a third compadre, went to see them about 20 years ago. Incredible on all counts.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

John Lennon said a lot of things; if we took all his comments to heart, half our Beatle albums would have been thrown in the garbage.

10. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Very true! 'Strawberry Fields!' Yuk. 'And Your Bird Can Sing'! Atrocious!!!!!
    :--)

11. 7solqs4iago

despite listening for years, seeing the first Musical Box shows made me realize the strength of Phil's amazing chops, playing lefty (on the audience's right side) helps show more of the kit to the audience

the last show was Trick of the Tail and a mesh of Peter stuff,

for the first half Phil was up front singing, with a "Bruford" on tour drums for Dance on a Volcano stuff :D

not sure if the Bruford was a spitting image...

DK Pete likes this.
  12. 7solqs4iago

John said a lot of things, and screamed them, apparently, for an era, not sure he would have meant these things his whole life :D

Big Blue and DK Pete like this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I’d love to have heard a latter-aged Lennon give his views on some of his younger-day involvements/comments/attitudes. I’m sure the majority of his most basic ethics wouldn’t have changed much but I can’t help but think that his attitude on things from the Beatle days would have gotten more positive.

14. 7solqs4iago

each year that we don't have him for some music and his commentary makes me sadder and more depressed about it.

15. PossiblyIndecisive

PossiblyIndecisive Forum Resident

Interests me how Paul's best bass lines with the Beatles are always on songs that he didn't write. Seemed to put less effort into the basslines for his own songs?

Paulwalrus likes this.
  16. TheRunoutMatrix

I wouldn't know; I don't know enough Beatles on bass to form an opinion as to whether that is even true or not. Not saying it isn't, of course! How many Beatles basslines have you learned?

17. PossiblyIndecisive

Yeah, it's a shame that the views he expressed in interviews during an angry period in the 70s are now what define him to so many fans. His public hostility towards Paul created a lasting divide within the fanbase. We never got to hear from mellow, elder statesman Lennon, soberly reflecting back upon his career.

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Far as his feelings towards Paul, I prefer to focus on the May Pang photos of the two of them lounging out at the Hamptons. Outward, public demeanors aside, I like to believe that the two of them-no matter how crazy things got at any specific points in time-had a special, ongoing connection most people on the outside were never fully aware of.

Paulwalrus, Big Blue and 2141 like this.
  19. 7solqs4iago

Other member's bass work has been slagged.. :D

20. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident

Probably it says that you appreciate good music. :)

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  21. Ringo was the perfect drummer for the Beatles. He had to play music in every style imaginable, including some that didn't previously exist (Tomorrow Never Knows, I Am The Walrus).

I read a quote by George Martin once where he said he never had a problem with Ringo, he always gave him exactly what he needed, on demand.

51IS, Big Blue, frightwigwam and 2 others like this.
  22. PossiblyIndecisive

George Martin loved him because he made ehis job as producer so much easier.

Ringo was like a human metronome, he never missed a beat. Because his drums were never out of time on any of the takes, if George Martin needed to edit different takes together, Ringo's drums would never be an issue. It would all fit together seamlessly.

51IS, Big Blue and Mark E. Moon like this.
  23. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

How about: what would Peter and Gordon have sounded like with George and Ringo?

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  24. TheRunoutMatrix

It seemed like Ringo never gave a thought as to how "impressive" or technical a drum part for any song would be when he put it down. It was always "what would add the most to the song" kind of thing, to my ears. He's like David Gilmour in the sense that there's total economy; no wasted superfluous nonsense. Just pure writing.

frightwigwam and AppleCorp3 like this.
  25. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Definitive answer to a hypothetical question that never really happened…bravo! :cheers:

Big Blue and 2141 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.