A re-evaluation of Rush

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rpd, May 14, 2022.

1. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

You're wrong. End of thread.

Seriously, this thread appears to have become a haven for the haters, without any real pretense of serious discussion. I thought this sort of thing wasn't allowed here.

tuttle, dkmonroe and DGC2001 like this.
  2. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Great......now go back and read literally EVERYTHING Neil Peart ever said about this song until you realize that this song was deliberate satire, and the lyrics have the feel they do for a reason.

3. DGC2001

DGC2001 Forum Resident

I agree 100%

4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

For all the talk of Neil's over the top drumming, compare his live drumming to the studio versions: you could tell what song is playing even if you removed all the other instruments. His parts were written just as much as Alex or Ged's. All of those intricate parts were recreated live. He wasn't just making anything up as he went along.

Herman Schultz, PDK, cnolanh and 3 others like this.
  5. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

Personally, I think Power Windows was the band's peak. It's a flawless album in my eyes, and an essential desert island disc.

Do so. It's plainly obvious when someone is criticizing Geddy Lee's vocals based solely on the band's 70s output. His singing on New World Man is characteristic of virtually everything they released from Permanent Waves onwards, which amounts to 13 albums' worth of music.

proedros, Herman Schultz, dee and 3 others like this.
  6. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

When I was growing up (early 80's) I felt Rush was perhaps overplayed / too popular - at least in the Toronto area. I was into Boston, Kansas and Styx

But then someone gave me "Signals" for my birthday and I was hooked. Really enjoyed that album and then went on to enjoy Moving Pictures, 2112, etc.

I always felt they were a bit closer to a "Hard Rock" band so for me Lee's voice and Peart's drumming were a natural part of the package. But the lyrics and the messages were definitely more "Prog Rock" with thought provoking messages. Many were political. For example I feel that "Tree's" is far more appropriate to today's political/ cultural landscape then when it was written in the 70's.

PDK and carlwm like this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Funnily enough I really quite like it. Happy to accept your opinions at face value, obviously, but I'm curious as to why it's a poor record for you?

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  8. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

I don't disbelieve you. And I certainly don't intend to read "EVERYTHING" Neil Peart ever said about this song or anything else.

But I will say I just scrolled through a bunch of posts about this song by Rush fans, whom Neil Peart seems to have successfully duped. They all think the song expresses his known libertarian views.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's generated a good discussion with lots of fascinating comments. Enjoyable stuff. What the forum should be about, even. Rpd is, or at least has been, a fan, so it's not a "troll" thread by any means - at least in my opinion.

TwiceFan and Instant Dharma like this.
  10. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

My objection to all three of these is a single song: Time Stand Still. The lyrics have brought me to tears on multiple occasions; the vocals are melodic, restrained and tasteful; and the drumming is complex and interesting while not being even remotely close to "over the top".

Herman Schultz, ARK, 51IS and 2 others like this.
  11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

And Aimee and Geddys voices blend perfectly.

12. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

An intelligent reply & agree with everything you say!

TheRunoutMatrix and carlwm like this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Gotta say, I hear a lot of things within the remit of Eighties (and onwards) Rush but I don't hear much that's overly commercial. Shorter songs and a different sound, for certain, but most of it is still a long way from "housewives choice" material, I reckon.

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

And a good thing too.

carlwm likes this.
  15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Trains come and go. I have a love.... not love/hate but shall I say love/not in the mood when it comes to Rush. The early vocals were a little on the screechy side but not enough for me to dislike them. Lame songwriting? The songs are top notch musically but maybe the lyrics do get a little corny now and then.
    I am not a drummer but a lot of drummers I know think NP was one of the greatest.
    I play bass and guitar and from my own experience IMO, Geddy and Alex are some of the best players in rock. Try to nail a lot of Alex's arrangements and you may agree. Geddy is truly one of a kind when it comes to bass playing.

Dansk, MikeManaic61, dee and 4 others like this.
  16. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Or Dave Lee Roth!

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I don't much like his Seventies voice but I love his singing thereafter. Much the same as I dearly love Robert Plant's vocals over the last couple of decades yet struggle with him in Zeppelin mode.

Dansk likes this.
  18. Bren

Bren Forum Resident

Is this another joke thread? And/or somebody unable to accept the viewpoint of certain lyrics? (Seen this before, they usually pick The Trees.) The integrity of Rush's music and creative path answers the question in a way that doesn't really need defending. I keep re-evaluating them as an important group, quite above any take-the-bait signal questions.

ArpMoog, ARK, Dansk and 1 other person like this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Its easy to dismiss this as a hate or troll thread but I don't think that was the intention at all. Its inspired a decent amount of fair comments on either side and I can deal with the occasional negativity unless it boils down to something within the standards of this forum. Bring it on. Rush is good enough to withstand this.

PDK, TwiceFan and carlwm like this.
  20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Surely everyone realizes that the trees are a metaphor for human kind, right? It’s not my favorite Rush song by a long stretch but I appreciate what they were saying. Maybe the lyrics are corny but the Oaks may as well be Russia and the Maples Ukraine these days. It’s just a different take on a why can’t we all just get along song.

I apologize if I’m stating the obvious here but the song is not about trees. I do not hate it. I really like Alex’s guitar part too.

ARK and Instant Dharma like this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

As a fan of Rush, I've enjoyed the discussion.

22. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

The last time I was brought to tears by a Rush song was this one (as it often can/does) . . . Such a beautiful and powerful song, both lyrics and music.

Dansk, MikeManaic61, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  23. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

and here's a lovely cover version. Enjoy ❤️

24. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

A Bruins fan showing a small bit of admiration of something out of Toronto!

(Go Leafs Go) :hide:

ArpMoog likes this.
  25. A Grain of Sand

A Grain of Sand Forum Resident

Mega dittos!

dalecooper likes this.