The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Was it resealed after Dolenz signed it?

2. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

They appeared to be re-sealed, I even wondered if he only signed the shrink-wrap, so we bought the $200 unautographed set, but my wife bought an autographed picture to frame on the wall. No regrets.

longdist01 and D-rock like this.
  3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

That suggest to me the demand may not be as big as we would think. It may just be a vocal minority that want it because it’s not available. Non-buyer’s remorse. No doubt some missed out on it and sincerely wanted it, but I think there are some who wanted it because it was no longer available. Maybe Rhino was right to cut their losses.

The Beave and BeSteVenn like this.
  4. Tom Empty

Tom Empty Well-Known Member

My copy arrived today. The box has no bumps but the card holding the discs has torn in a couple of places but the unacceptable thing is that my booklet is missing pages.

How many pages should there be? This one starts with 13 - 17 then 7 - 12. Then 13-30 then 19-24 again. So missing the pages for Episodes 1 - 11 and also the pages for Head and the tv special.

That’s disappointing after such a long wait.

longdist01 and supermd like this.
  5. heymynameis

heymynameis Forum Resident

Mine arrived today and I'm in Australia. One small ding on the top corner of the box but no rips anywhere. No pages missing either!

Numbered 06780. I'm quite satisfied.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. heymynameis

No, it's not anti-capitalist to suggest scalpers are ruining fanbases. As a fan who's had to wait for years watching auction after auction going past $750USD (especially when a Monkee dies - I remember what happened after Tork and Nesmith passed away - god, the scalping), they really get in the way between enjoying things and exploiting things.

7. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Could be. It also could be other factors, such as the average attendee for his shows already got it, has the dvd set predecessor, is fine catching it when it’s broadcast or on YouTube, or knows nothing about the reported picture improvement and bonus content? Maybe some at the shows even thought it would be neat to get but figured they’d wait to get home to order it, not knowing about any shortage. Maybe they were also thinking they could get it cheaper than the concert price because of the usual markups.

Kind of reminds me of the Beatles mono albums box set. It seemed to sold plenty initially, but it took years for it to actually completely sell out. Some may have figured the sets (and individual albums) would stay available and would get to it if the price suited them. Others might not have heard of any clue about the AAA priority of the vinyl set (and some might not even have learned of why that was a desirable attribute at the time when the box was available). Others might not of heard anything about their existence until word was getting out about the scarcity. And of course, there were those who may have wanted to wait until the priced dipped even lower than it eventually did.

8. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

send Rhino a pic of the book-they will replace---and may include a free bonus ;)

The Beave likes this.
  9. brucewayneofgotham

You speak of Beatles Mono boxes, out local Ollie's has a stack of them
    also a stack of the (last) LZ reissues
    and I avoided looking at the prices
    to prevent me from doing something stupid

10. Pizza

The Beatles Mono Box is the opposite of the Monkees Box. Both were originally marketed as limited but when the Beatles Box proved popular it was no longer truly limited. Meanwhile the Monkees Box wasn’t as popular and had its initial stock reduced. And as much as I’m a Monkees fan, I think it’s safe to say the Beatles are a little more popular. The demand doesn't seem to be there for a $200 Monkees box. I wish there was. Whatever they release at this point, I feel they need to keep it under a $100. I just hope they finish the album deluxe boxes.

MarkTheShark, longdist01 and D-rock like this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

They could easily make a set that includes just the discs and price it around $60. No reason to be this expensive. The sixties Batman Blu-ray series was around $45 when I got it.

12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Another freebie in HD from the official Monkees site(!)

D-rock likes this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

There may have been unsold copies at Micky's shows, however, when the Blu-Ray set was put up on the Rhino website again, they sold out-Which says to me, the demand was there for sure.

longdist01 and D-rock like this.
  14. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

...wait -- I know this is a Monkees thread, but by participating are we expected to be tacitly assenting to the notion that capitalism is the best system by which to organize and operate a national economy? WILD MAN, WILD!

Hall Cat likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I agree

Grand_Ennui and longdist01 like this.
  16. heymynameis

Let the new blu ray set uploads commence! Looks like someone got started already ;)

RobRoyF, jamesmaya and Sammy Banderas like this.
  17. Pizza

Good point. I’d love to know how many were sold.

longdist01 likes this.
  18. Tom Empty

Tom Empty Well-Known Member

I’ve taken this advice and sent an email. Thank you. Fingers crossed.

19. brucewayneofgotham

Highest number being out there is 8000's , someone had on Facebook
    I still think it comes down
    to finding all the inventory
    to assemble.
    Warner really seems to be disorganized
    with a lot of things
    being everywhere

A friend has a store (and he saw that an album (vinyl)
    was in stock , that has been out of stock, forever (I don't remember what the title was, as it wasn't something I cared about)

so he ordered 10 of them , they sent him
    10 jackets , sealed with no records
    how could you pack this
    and not notice something isn't right here?

longdist01 likes this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

:help:

supermd likes this.
  21. brucewayneofgotham

when he phoned Warner , his rep just laughed

longdist01 likes this.
  22. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Just checked
    Beave

BobT and longdist01 like this.
  23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

That’s a great dance sequence (to Nilsson’s “Daddy’s Song”) with Davy and Toni Basil. And the seamless editing was superb.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. totmeyer

totmeyer Forum Resident

I bought the set at the tail end before they stopped selling it the first time. They shipped me #09362.

longdist01 likes this.
  25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Seems like most are in the 8000-9000 range.

longdist01 likes this.