Beatles without George Martin

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, May 14, 2022.

1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

How successful would have been?

Crimson Witch and bzfgt like this.
  2. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

not so successful

3. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Let It Be was without. Go figure.

Aftermath, DTK, Ludger and 4 others like this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It would be a completely different scenario. Not only did George Martin encourage their original music in every conceivable way, he was responsible for they sounded on recorded tape. Martin’s touch and influence catered to the greatest qualities of their songs.

Lewisboogie, Tord, ronbow and 28 others like this.
  5. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

By the time Let It Be came out, John Lennon could have recorded 35 minutes of fart noises and it would have been a success.

6. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

I think it was a match made in heaven, and their personalities allowed for a perfect storm. Not only musically, but in studio recording techniques as well. George Martin was unquestionably the perfect facilitator for those young men at that particular moment in time. They all seemed to feed off each other in a most efficient manner, creating a perfect combination of talent and technique. Without him, they would have been a completely different band.

Tord, ronbow, hutlock and 21 others like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Without George Martin they either would've ended up going back to Polydor or split up in 1962. Or both.
    They might've gone back to Hamburg and stay there, like Tony Sheridan. But who knows...

8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

It was essential to the whole story that they meet up with him when they did.

Imagine if Decca had signed them after that awful audition. Who knows what kind of hack producer they may have wound up with.

9. They might have been only as good as the Stones.

10. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Jethro Tull

11. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

I shudder to think what the horns on Penny Lane would have sounded like in the hands of an average pop producer.

Like a supermarket commercial, I imagine.

12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

He wasn't credited as the producer of the album that eventually appeared, but there is ample footage of George Martin in the studio with the Beatles in January 1969, both at Twickenham and at Apple Studios. He also scored the horns that are audible on the single version of "Let It Be" (which Phil Spector then pushed much higher in the mix), and he is seen playing percussion on "Dig It."

13. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Martin not only was responsible for their initial success. He was also a facilitator for their exploration with other music. He just rolled with it. I doubt other producers would have done this for them. They used Spector with Gly Johns on Let It Be. They chose to go back to Martin. This to me speaks worlds.

Bern, 51IS, Candlegoat and 8 others like this.
  14. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

We would not be having this debate were it not for George Martin.

15. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I have no bad words to say about Martin as regards the Beatles. They were perfect for each other. On the other hand, I gotta say that, for my tastes, Martin's non-Beatle productions are notably less successful. So: he may have brought out the best in John and Paul, but I think there's a case to be made that the Beatles brought out the best in him.

16. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

...Ringo would have opened up a very successful string of ladies hairdressing salons.

[​IMG]

boggs, AlienRendel, DTK and 4 others like this.
  17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

18. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

...who?

19. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

It would have been different for sure. Would they have had a career as successful as they did? We can't say for sure. It is quite likely it would have taken them longer to reach the popularity they achieved.

Biff1 and DK Pete like this.
  20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

He was essential

Whoroger89, Aftermath, abzach and 5 others like this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

probably nothing... they would not be signed to a record label...and no Beatlemania in the US.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I am sure many never realized how important...and take it back a notch and how important Brian was...those 2 changed the musical world!

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I doubt there would have been a Penny Lane.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  24. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

no Beatlemania
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trader Joe, DTK, DK Pete and 2 others like this.
  25. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

The street in Liverpool ?