Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Are those from collections he buys or does his sit on audiophile editions he gets fro distributors until they go out of print? If it’s the latter then that’s bad. But the former, at least to me, is different. Going searching for collections is a lot of work. You get some gems and a lot of mediocre stuff. .

Classicrock, AnalogJ and ETSEQ like this.
  2. Obviously no way to know for sure, but I find it extremely distasteful. Especially after parading around YouTube as if he is the Robin Hood of the VC. I can guarantee you he paid a small fraction of the $1k, whether he got it for $100 at retail or $200 in a collection.

4-2-7 likes this.
  3. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Cool I'd like that, let me know the next time your in the area.

CBackley likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'm not missing anything. We gauge companies differently. I'd rather see stuff that hasn't gotten the audiophile treatment before and you're satisfied celebrating represses. Different goals so unsurprising we have a different POVs.

5. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

thats the irony of all this

Ryan Bedlack and AnalogJ like this.
  6. I have the vast majority of the titles they are repressing, so it’s actually not what I want personally. But to not mention them and state that AP is on life support is intellectually dishonest. And if they just put out a bunch of mediocre to bottom shelf records, a la VMP, that doesn’t do much for me either.

7. Strat-Mangler

Intellectually dishonest? Clearly, you have much stronger opinions about this than I. I was crystal clear as to what matters to me (new releases) and this is merely *my* opinion about how *I* see the situation from *my* POV. Continue celebrating re-presses and disparaging my POV if that's what gets you through the day. I'm done entertaining a discussion on this matter with you.

I respect your POV but it's clearly a one-way street and that's no bueno. Cheers.

8. Swordsandchains

but hes a record store and thats what record stores do. That series was never available outside of the sam site, probably got it in a collection. And thats what people on discogs are asking so that price makes sense, no matter what actual sales are. Also was released nearly 2 years ago and has been OOP pretty much since then.

i think the price is ridiculous as well.

Mazzy likes this.
  9. I sorta understand that however every retail record store I know of has a wall of holy $hit records that sell for a-lot (and many also do eBay and Discogs). If they discover a rare gem in a collection they’ve acquired I say go for it.

But yeah it’s disingenuous if he complains about the price if EmC releases. I’m not a fan of them but if people want them it doesn’t bother me. .

10. I think we are more in agreement than you think. My point is to say AP is “on life support” couldn’t be farther from the truth. Maybe they aren’t releasing what you, or I, would like, but as a company they are doing more than OK. And that will pay off for everyone in the long run, including those of us that want to see new records reissued.

Fractured, FashionBoy and Mazzy like this.
  11. Yeah, it’s just a lot more tasteful when the “holy ****” records are actual gems, from days of old, that are hard to find and actually very desirable. The record he is selling for $1k has been OOP for a year and a half and is only scarce because the label decided to only press a very limited amount (just as the ERC records he rails on endlessly). In fact, the reason both ERC and this SAM record are so scarce, is because of the handmade jackets, which is what he gripes about constantly on his YouTube videos in relation to ERC. Just comes across as the epitome of hypocrisy IMO.

Topaz123, CBackley, 4-2-7 and 2 others like this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Using a phrase like "intellectually dishonest" to describe my POV doesn't strike me as being in agreement and certainly is far from a civil comment. Hopefully your next reply to me will be different. Usually, I enjoy reading your posts but that was a disappointing exchange that I'm bailing out of. Enjoy your weekend.

4-2-7 likes this.
  13. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

I'm not sure these are analogous? Mike's an excellent businessman and puts a lot of time and effort into sourcing records for his clientele. The price not only indicates the value in the open market but also his time and expenses. Are you also against reselling antique furniture?

His issue with ERC is that the product did not live up to the price, as was the case with the White Stripes. You may want to revisit his video on the matter.

CraigC, ETSEQ, Boots71 and 4 others like this.
  14. Swordsandchains

youll learn he and many here are very anti-Ingroove/Mike because he calls it like he sees it

bigtail, Boots71, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  15. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Actually he's already bragged about buying a title wholesale and then selling them at the secondary market prices. Back to the narcissistic behavior of people making non stop vids on Youtube, they can't walk a higher moral ground, because they always putting their a$$ out there.

Like both of you, I don't like that from a record store, if they get the records at wholesale, they need to sell them at retail prices.

Here is one of the bragging vids on a Sade title , important part starts at 11:00 minute mark.

Greenmonster2420 and Mazzy like this.
  16. YouTubers are an easy target for some and I get that. But for good or bad, they (we) put themselves out there and not hidden anonymously behind some fake name and emoji. The viewers decide to follow or not. And it’s all just opinions like here.

I only watch Mike Thursday morning to see the weekly new releases. More local records stores could learn something from his regularly postings and efficient e commerce site and customer service. I don’t really pay attention to his live streams or controversies.

JorgeGvb, ETSEQ, Boots71 and 2 others like this.
  17. When a record store owner flips a record he is an “excellent businessman”, but if a collector does it, I hope you don’t consider them “scummy flippers”.

No, I call it like I see it. He is a total hypocrite. I just find it hilarious how many folks eat that crap out of his palm.

Topaz123 and 4-2-7 like this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I mean Im not going to buy a $1200 DSOTM from Mike, but I do think the ERC vs what Mike is doing is somewhat different. Mike's issue was not really the price so much, but the damaged cover, dropouts on the tape of the Rollins, the doctoring of the cover of the White Stripes and the overall pressing quality of albums from ERC he has received.

I dont think he really gripes about anyone flipping records for a profit. As a matter of fact he has said he doesnt have an issue with it. All the audiophile majors also do this as we know. I dont like it. Maybe I dont agree with it.

But Mike hasnt been a hypocrit as far as saying "Flipping is wrong! Its horrible!" and then flip his own stuff. That would be hypocritical.

He just flips for a profit and is ok with others doing that.

His gripe with ERC was more "These guys are charging an arm and leg their small number of products should be at a higher standard"

ETSEQ, Boots71 and Swordsandchains like this.
  19. Wow, LOL. Hilarious. If that was Chad Kassem talking about jacking up his releases (that he actually had a hand in producing!), they’d burn him at the stake. But Mike at the In Groove is celebrated as the Robin Hood of the BC. What a joke.

There is an entire thread railing on Chad for upping the price of the Bill Evans box by 50%. Mike from the In Groove sells his stock for 400%+ retail and he is just a great businessman. The culture of this hobby has become absolutely f***ed

Topaz123 and CBackley like this.
  20. Well let’s hope his $1k records are flawless. Because unlike ERC, you aren’t getting a replacement airmailed arriving at your doorstep 2 days later.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont think Mike is celebrated as a good guy for that reason. I think he is celebrated because he will say if something sounds bad (I dont always agree with him) but yeah.

I dont like any price hikes lol. But I get it. And I get if some indie store wants to set a premium price. I just aint buyin em. Elusive Disc actually started out that way. That is why it was named that.

22. Yeah it is actually was worse when MMJ kept raising prices on stock they’ve had for years. They’re the friggen company, the manufacturer who licensed the music and not a retail reseller.

MonkeyTennis and JorgeGvb like this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dude, I think what it is, with all due respect is you kind of have a chip on your shoulder about anyone who talks against ERC. Or at least it sure appears that way.

Mike states the condition at his site. The difference is, if I am paying for a $400.00 BRAND NEW record I expect it not to be in the shape his came in.

If ERC stated "Hey, these are $400.00 and will be noisey and have black marker on the edges" then I know and can decide accordingly.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  24. Do you think for a second that if ERC had allowed him to retail their products, instead of telling him to piss off, he would have made several videos deriding their product? Come on now…

Topaz123, bruinuclafan and 4-2-7 like this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah I just dont think one can equate what an indie does with AP, MMJ etc.

Would I like Mike to sell me the DSOTM for $350.00? Sure. But since he paid $500.00 for it in the Netherlands...I doubt he is going to want to lose money lol. Doubling ones money as an indie store isnt over the top. Selling records at 3-4 x the retail as the retailer? Yeah, a bit different imo.

Swordsandchains, Mazzy and Joe Stark like this.