Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I didn't call him an a$$, I said the narcissistic behavior of people constantly making videos, ends up "showing" their a$$. In other words If your putting out a bunch of videos constantly, sooner or later you're going to contradict yourself and be a hypocrite.

And with the majority of this type of videos I see on youtube, I feel the ones making them constantly are narcissistic. They do it for the validation and attention they get, albeit most I see doing them are very new to playing and buying records. However they make 2-3 videos a week, maybe more, they feed on the attention they get from it.

2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

again the irony here is baffling

BreakBeat DJ, Cody B and Mazzy like this.
  3. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

These arguments are silly. If you don't like someone don't watch their videos and don't support their business.

People in this hobby are so full of crap. Just buy your albums from wherever and enjoy them no need to deride others for purchasing choices.

If someone want to make YouTube videos that's awesome. Don't insult people if you don't have the stones to put your face out there. If you don't like it don't watch it.

4. There is no comparison. If the In Groove never existed nothing in this hobby would have changed for me. If MMJ never existed, well my collection and experiences in this hobby would be much worse off.

Labels who create goods for the love of the music and this hobby have earned the right to reap the rewards when the market picked up. How many audiophile labels have we seen go under? Far too many IMO. I don’t like paying jacked up prices what so ever, but if somebody’s going to do it, I’d prefer that the money goes to the actual producers of the goods and not a flipper.

I don’t understand why that is hard to grasp.

5. Pot, meet kettle.

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don’t know what MMJ is and I don’t particularly like being labeled a “fan boy”. I just dislike how people express hate and rage towards people in the industry, often accompanied by obscenities. It never used to happen here.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  7. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Actually, he said in another vid that the records where stored in the back room, not all out to be sold, except for one copy. The records were bought at wholesale, they needed to be sold at retail, because that's what the licence is for. He did not sell the rest of them at wholesale when he found out people wanted the records stored away in his back room.

I know my record store gets OOP titles all the time that are found in warehouses from the distributors. He sells them at the retail price, his job was to locate the records and then sell to his customers. Sometimes he lets me know and asks "How many do you want?". The point is, he knows he's buying them wholesale and should be sold at the retail list.

For the reason we have to deal with the middleman, ie: record stores, is the very reason they need to sell at retail no matter what the secondary market is doing.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  8. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Wow what’s the backstory there? Did MoFi not secure the license before beginning work on the reissues? If not that seems somewhat insane. Or are the licenses fully revocable or something similar where the estate really did just screw MoFi? A shame either way. I don’t understand why these rights holders would rather get nothing than let reissues happen (not always but it feels like this is often the case).

9. Swordsandchains

i cant grasp the concept that a record shop is a flipper. If thats the case then all retailers who sells products they dont manufacture are flippers.

10. Very true. Again, the culture in this hobby has just gone straight down the drain. The only upside is that the labels are thriving and that will hopefully bring more great records for all of us to enjoy.

And you are right, this thread has gone way off topic and I accept a role in that. So I will shut my mouth now, I don’t have much more to say on the subject anyways. I’m going to go be a monster on my stash of green and then listen to some records. First up, Cecil Taylor Silent Tongues. Peace!

this_machine and CBackley like this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Sorry, it’s just the constant use of ass, ****, ****. It’s disturbing.

Anyway, I think that at least in In Groove’s case, it’s largely advertising/promotion. Use of the internet for promotion is one aspect that is critical for a lot of small businesses.

12. Swordsandchains

When the Sinatra Estate sold to Universal i believe Universal nixed those plans. Which id assume would be because they had some release plan of their own.

Twinsfan007 and bruinuclafan like this.
  13. Sounds like you have a really solid local shop. I rarely find my way out to the Bay Area, but if I ever do I may need to get their info!

Happy listening everybody

4-2-7 likes this.
  14. Dougthesnail

MoFi took too long to release the albums and their releases were interfering with the estate's plans for Sinatra 100. Sinatra's estate cancelled the remaining releases and did their own thing.

bruinuclafan and Swordsandchains like this.
  15. Sorry Mr. Bryant, that label was never meant to be directed at you. I’m not sure if the last part was directed at me but I do sometimes have the mouth of sailor. Sorry if it’s offended anyone. Peace love and music! :righton:

4-2-7 likes this.
  16. bruinuclafan

That makes sense. I just wonder how far MoFi and others go in the production process before actually inking an agreement.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  17. bruinuclafan

I see. There must have been something in their agreement to permit cancelling the release in this circumstance. Still a shame.

18. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

That certainly was an ugly tangent. Can we get back to the topic at hand please.

19. Dougthesnail

I'm sure their was an agreement but the license holder probably reserve the right to cancel for any reason.

bruinuclafan likes this.
  20. Swordsandchains

thats what happens when releases have too much time between them

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont consider myself a Mike or In Groove fan boy. I simply spoke up because of the slander. And it is.

22. Dougthesnail

It is. In the Wee Small Hours and quite a few others were cancelled. I could be wrong but I think the biggest issue is Univeral owns the Capitol albums and Warner owns the Reprise albums, it's difficult for all parties to agree.

bruinuclafan likes this.
  23. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I've never owned a copy of Clapton Unplugged. Heard some of it of course but not on a high fidelity system. I've heard people say original pressings were great for a digital recording. Do you think there is the potential for a spectacular One Step?

Dmann201 likes this.
  24. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Sure I'll hook you up.
    My main store rather deal in pushing volume out the door, your not going to see much in the way of old records hanging on the wall with high price tags. In fact these days not many old record make it into the main files. Most get bought up as the store gets them, with prices like $3, $4, $5, and a $10 -$20 record here and there. But then even if a $20 used record it normally would sell at a much higher price.

In fact the other day I brought him a big box of records to sell for free. Within a week he sold me two used records worth way way more.
    This one at $4.99
    Phish - The Story Of The Ghost

This one he said at the counter, "I'll have to charge you $20 on this one" No problem please do.
    Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - She's The One (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture)

this_machine and bruinuclafan like this.
  25. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

And we have noobs acting arrogant telling people how they need to participate in buying records and how to enjoy them.