Emitt Rhodes - "Love Will Stone You" appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TDSOTM, May 13, 2022.

1. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

McCartney once described "Without You" as "... the killer song of all time."

I don't believe that translates as him wishing he wrote it (although I'm sure he'd welcome its royalties), but he was just exaggerating and being nice. It's a successful ballad in a Beatley style.

2. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Paul wishes he wrote I'm Mandy Fly Me. Actually this is amazingly close to the Wings sound.

jacchank and blutiga like this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And then thrown it out for being too maudlin.

4. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't know any Emitt Rhodes solo stuff, but I really like The Merry Go-Round, his 60s band.

6. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Perhaps a book instead.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

You should seek out to his solo records at once in that case!

Boom Operator and Man at C&A like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A couple of my friends have his debut at least, one who was around at the time might have more, but I've never found them.

9. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

In the 80's, Paul could have written this...

blutiga and speedracer like this.
  10. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

I've never heard of him until 2 years ago!

Me neither. McCartney can write stuff like this in his sleep!

It's been a while since I heard stuff from me. Oh wait, I heard Sugarman on the radio a few weeks ago. But still, it's once in a looooooooong while!!!

11. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Damned that Bernard Webb;)

12. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

If you put 100 Paul McCartneys at 100 pianos for 100 years they would eventually write the complete works of the Monkees.

13. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

The best McCartney myth quote is that he said "Neil Finn was the best songwriter in the world"...or words to that effect. I agree Neil Finn is, but Macca didn't say it.

Mooserfan likes this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

He doesn't quite live up to his lofty reptutation - at least for me - but his albums are a decent listen. Worth picking up if you see any of them going at a reasonable price.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Don’t know about the Wilson track, but…
    Is there one song by someone else you wished you had written?
    from Carol Price, Coventry, England; Kate Graham, Weybridge, England; and Adrian Rider, St Ives, England

I don’t really want to have written anyone else’s songs, but, as a fantasy question, I love ‘Stardust’, by Hoagy Carmichael and Mitchell Parish. It’s a beautiful song. And I remember thinking that Billy Joel’s first hit, ‘Just The Way You Are’, was a nice song, I’d like to have written that one too. ‘Stardust’ first, though.”
    The Club Sandwich Interview

Michael and Monasmee like this.
  16. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

I'm far from a Billy Joel fan—plastic stuff like "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" drives me up a wall. But even I wish I'd written "Just the Way You Are." It's a classic melody, even with syrup dripped all over it. Same goes for "Fields of Gold."

905, mrjinks and Monasmee like this.
  17. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Start with with the song "Mirror", and also "Love Will Stone You".

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks! that was quite enjoyable lots there!!

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    mrjinks likes this.
  19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I just finished reading that whole interview, and even though it’s nearly 20 years old, it’s a good one. Appears to be questions from the fans, edited by Lewisohn. Perfect combo, imo.
    Recommended.

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I second the recommendation! : )

mrjinks likes this.
  21. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

10cc. The band Wings could have been. Non ironically :)

Instant Dharma likes this.
  22. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Is it unpopular to like Rodriguez or something? Never seen the documentary but I own his first two albums, and I think his debut is really good.

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Paul wishes he wrote "Penny O'Dell": ;)

For those who collected vinyl bootleg LPs in the late 1970s, this songs was collected on a few bootlegs and listed as a Wings track from the 1974 Nashville sessions. BUT despite what it says at the start of the Youtube clip, it is not Paul/Wings at all. It is a song called "Homecoming Queen" by someone named Kenny O'Dell.

24. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

HAHAHAHAHAHA

25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Too bad this thread churned out a few Emitt haters. Sure, there's a lot of McCartney influence that was flowing through that guy. The album was released later in the year so I'm sure he was probably listening to Paul's first album a lot. It seems flippant to call him generic. Some of his sounds just seem a little too close to what Paul was doing. Mainly it's the guitar solos and the fact he had a great voice. It gets tagged that way because anyone who wants to tell you about music they like, they have to relate it somehow. Throw on five decades of having to tag it, well... it's not going to be able to stand on it's own merit. Shame as Rhodes is one of those guys that got screwed by the business and it certainly affected the rest of his life.