Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo Show release*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark-10, Feb 17, 2022.

1. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

Yes some of the songs on spotify are better than others.

I wish they would butcher the vinyl masterings less. i can sort of understand the need for a "wet" mix on spotify. on vinyl not.

I have not yet receivied my vinyl,but from previous archives on vinyl i have reasons to be concerned.

Rockin' Robby and TonyCzar like this.
  2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Is it possible that they are using overdubs recorded in 1977?

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

And some other songs as well and I wasn't a fan of his 2 song set in the middle of the show. It would have been better to play his 2 songs before the Stones set started.

4. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

Didnt Preston warm up for the stones on that tour ?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. perk

perk Forum Resident

Bill Wyman plays and sounds great on this, overall fantastic release. The Black and Blue cuts are killer, wish they would have kept them in the 1978 setlists.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

On the 1973 European Tour not 1975.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It's Mick. He overdubbed it in '77 (listen to the mix on Love You Live, same overdub)
    I think the vocals on "Crackin' Up" also have the same 'repairs' from Love You Live
    Yes (see above)

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Supposedly Jagger's harmonica was overdubbed later on the original Love You Live release. Not sure about the new release.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  9. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Yup. Cringey to be honest.

Hammer70 and MHP like this.
  10. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

Of all the retrospective releases by The Rolling Stones since 2009 this is my favorite. Rough and dirty Rock & Roll and blues, great setlist, small band, Ian Stewart still on piano, two great guests (Billy Preston and Ollie Brown). Fantastic. Highly recommended.

11. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

An excellent sounding release and top tracklist. Hand Of Fate is one of my new favourite Stones tracks.

supernaut, mark_j, hiterss and 8 others like this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I watched about five minutes and turned it off, was not terribly interesting

13. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

To those with the vinyl, can you please compare to digital (whether streaming or cd)? Curious if it affords better dynamic range
    Nice to hear so far no one has experienced issues with noisy pressings

jewelsnbinoculars and CBackley like this.
  14. Bren

Bren Forum Resident

Listened twice today, the second time with a drink imagining I was in attendance - and once or twice on the bandstand. Yeah, the mix is a little wetter than the Love You Live tracks, but it's not arena sized. More to the point, it's a belated, must-hear example of how good this band was. Tight loose sexy etc, and it makes me miss Charlie Watts even more.

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

In case you’re wondering, I’d guess the Atmos mix has greater dynamic range. Those generally do. The Atmos of the GHS remix certainly did.

TonyCzar and aphexj like this.
  16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Amazon Music is streaming the Atmos mix too.

17. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Great to hear Tumbling Dice (and others) without backup singers. This set is great.

groundharp, grx8, hiterss and 5 others like this.
  18. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Done

hiterss, oldjollymon and MRamble like this.
  19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

They were totally locked in that night. Despite the complaints on the CD set: Amazon price (legit), packaging (minor), this is an essential addition to any serious Stones collection.

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

CDs de
    The content surpasses the complaint factor for me, Amazon dropped mine off today, and the CD's actually sound good. I was worried about a Blue and Lonesome sounding release but this is far from it. I agree with you, essential addition for a Stones fanatic.

21. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Of course, for the full experience, you should listen to this first:
    [​IMG]

22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Next thing people here need to do is stop referencing LYL. Anybody, who hasn't unloaded it, needs to trade it for whatever you can get for it to save shelf space for this one.

Matthew Tate, MRamble and ssmith3046 like this.
  23. GRompre68

GRompre68 Vive le Prog Quebecois

I've streamed the show all weekend!! Fantastic live, and close to be one of my best (Brussel being my first). I've always had a weak spot for that 76-77 Stones. That Show does not disappoint!

I have just ordered my Japanese copy of the SHM-CD. I think it's totally worth it.

MRamble and ssmith3046 like this.
  24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I understand the excitement of getting to hear the full set...but you think this mix sounds better than Side Three of LYL?

Rockin' Robby and pryp like this.
  25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Clearly some in this thread haven't actually listened very closely to LYL... it has a careful but somewhat antiquated mix, and the overdubs are pretty obvious to me especially on headphones

Tom Campbell and Matthew Tate like this.