Everything Everywhere All at Once (A24, 2022 science-fiction action dramedy)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Brendan K, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident Thread Starter

Everything Everywhere All at Once is directed by Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, stars Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, Stephanie Hsu, Jenny Slate, Harry Shum Jr., James Hong and Jamie Lee Curtis, and tells the story of a woman trying to do her taxes.

[​IMG]

That's all I'm going to say about the plot of EEAAO in the intro post... I just saw this last night and it's one of the most imaginative movies I've seen in years. Belly laughs, emotionally charged tears, the best visual fest these eyes have laid eyes on, and an immense story. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it, and I feel blessed for the theatrical experience and memory it's given me. Has anyone else seen the film, or is planning to see it in its semi-wide release this weekend? What did you think?

2. Jack Torrance

Jack Torrance Killing Confusion By Eliminating Options

I saw it last night in a packed theater (Grand Cinema Tacoma).

It was a visually stunning movie but honestly the themes were just superficially addressed and the humor was slapstick and tiresome. I rate it a 2/5.

Morpheus, RSteven, MichaelH and 4 others like this.
  3. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I loved this movie.

I'm rarely constantly on my toes watching an inventive film, and when I am, I'm even more rarely thrilled to watch it all fall into place for a satisfying ending.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

davenav, Brendan K and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Vickie and I saw this Thursday, and it's been running through my head ever since. A single viewing is not going to reveal everything about this film.

The most remarkable thing about this is that they had a budget of only 25 million dollars, and more than 600 effects shots were done with a crew of only seven people. Principal photography was done back in 2019, and they were just entering post-production when the pandemic struck.

They couldn't get on the schedules of the giant post houses, and the type of effects they needed to tell their story would have blown their budget right out of the water.

So instead, the people the directors been working with creating effects for music videos upped their game and spent 2 years creating world class effects work from their homes.

Vickie and I have been huge fans of Michelle Yeoh for decades. We knew of her career in Hong Kong action movies, but the first time we really noticed her was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. She's an incredibly powerful actor.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  5. Brendan K

A wonderful roundtable with the cast and directors of the film, for those interested:

trumpet sounds and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Can't believe there are only a few posts here. Absolutely loved this movie. I can't wait to see it again.

7. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw this ten days ago.

I didn’t know what to think at first, but as time has gone on, I’ve come down on the side of liking it. I admire what the film makers have done here, but I can’t say I love it. It was exhausting to watch, and I felt it was so fast-paced that I didn’t have time to think about or connect with it while watching it.

I thought Michelle Yeoh and Jamie Lee Curtis were both great. And amazingly, ten days later, I can still recall many details about it. I went out to dinner on Saturday with a few people for the specific purpose of discussing this film!

8. Chris DeVoe

Vickie has already seen it again, and I really want to see it again this week.

I think it's a matter of having so much thrown at you, so quickly, that your brain gets overwhelmed and you might not even form new memories.

brownie61 likes this.
  9. Brendan K

It seems like Everything Everywhere is holding steady at the box office in the wake of its wide release. #9 three weekends ago, then #6, and now this past weekend #4. I think it's gonna make back its $25m budget and then some...

Everything Everywhere All at Once - Box Office Mojo

10. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

I absolutely hated this movie. Yes there were some well done sentimental and funny parts.

Way too choppy IMO. Did I need Ritalin for this?

It reminded me of the fact that I hated Interstellar too.

RSteven, MichaelH and Spitfire like this.
  11. Brendan K

I can see how the editing could be a turnoff. I just did a quick search on the editor Paul Rogers - he did ten episodes of the Eric Andre Show, which is similarly frenetically/chaotically pieced together.

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

97% Critics / 91% fans on Rotten Tomatoes
    IMDB: 8.8/10
    Metascore: 82

13. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Really one of the most creative movies I've seen in awhile. Bring a tissue because it's moving as well.

davenav, Chris DeVoe and Deuce66 like this.
  14. Brendan K

A24's 'Everything Everywhere All at Once' Hits Box Office Milestone - Variety

After six weeks in theaters, the film has grossed $35 million in North America, an impressive sum for an arthouse flick. Those ticket sales are a positive indication that adult audiences will return to the big screen for the right movie, and also a reminder that ticket buyers really love the concept of a multiverse.

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” has a chance at dethroning Adam Sandler’s “Uncut Gems” ($50 million) as A24’s highest grossing movie in North America. Globally, the studio’s biggest box office earner is Ari Aster’s “Hereditary” with $79 million worldwide, followed by Greta Gerwig’s coming-of-age story “Lady Bird” with $78 million worldwide.

ZiltoidtheOmniscient likes this.
  15. Brendan K

16. Chris DeVoe

I follow Guillermo del Toro on Twitter, and here's what he just tweeted out about this film:

Everything Everywhere All at Once - I loved it. And I believe that "Nothing Matters" therefore everything does. And the notion of Pain and Prejudice being inherited from generation to generation unless we examine ourselves. Skillful, smart, beautifully shot and profoundly moving.​

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is it better than multiverse of madness?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Kevin Smith also raved about it!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Yes. Even my wife, who loves Marvel films, who actually attended the 22 film, 3-day Marvel Marathon, wasn't terribly excited about seeing it a second time.

Mind you, she is in fact seeing it a second time, this time in IMAX 3D, but it's mostly to see the Avatar sequel trailer in 3D.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Wasn’t crazy for avatar think the ending could have been better… maybe to blue :).
    Saying I even preferred to Madness.

MOM 5/10
    The Batman 2/10
    GOTG 10/10
    Ragnarok 10/10
    Spider Man Animation 7/10
    The Norseman 7.5

21. Brendan K

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    lbangs likes this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Which is surprising, because it is a multiverse of madness, all on its' own.

(Come on, would you ever get a version of Wanda with hot dog fingers...? :laugh: )

I can see why this could be such a polarizing movie, because it's basically the first "woke martial arts film". Comic Book Guy must be having a stroke at just the notion of it.

It's dense, complex, emotional...and surprisingly for this guy with consistent hearing difficulties in the particular auditorium I saw it in...easy to follow the dialogue.

Chris DeVoe and Brendan K like this.
  23. alexpop

Everything ?
    I’d give it a 6/10 rating.

24. zoostation

zoostation Cover my face as the animals die.

I thought it was a good way to tell the story about a family but the style was a bit overbearing compared to the style. a lot of it felt like it had the same sense of humor as a cable cartoon 20 years ago.

MichaelH and alexpop like this.
  25. zoostation

zoostation Cover my face as the animals die.

Eric Andre Show had better writing than this. And the editing was done well. My issue is more with making a bigger deal about the multiverses just to have conversations about family struggles