Disturbing Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jayski, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

for the reaction it received?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the SAW series...all of them.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

No offense intended, but by today's standards it's a very tame movie. Of course, it comes with its reputation. It essentially speaks to how we view others through a camera lens, the voyeurism. It'd be rated 15 at the most today, imo. It's also a title that is very well known in horror circles given it was banned for a period. In fact, it's on the BFI's list of the Greatest British Films of All Time, and is critically very highly regarded now. It was simply a case of it being ahead of its time, imo.

Eden Lake was mentioned earlier, and I agree that's a tough movie. It just leaves you feeling so...... hopeless, doesn't it?

As for movies I struggle with, the faux documentaries of Jacopetti are the very worst. His mondo movies, such as Africa Addio, are horrendous. They take the worst bits from Cannibal Holocaust and expands on them. Just awful things. NOT recommended.

Barnabas Collins and Rocker like this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Somebody I know saw The Lobster and he said it was one of the most disturbing things he'd seen in a while

5. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

"Eden Lake", definitely.

6. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

For a bad time watch Eden Lake.

EDIT: Wow, I didn't even see that someone posted the same movie 52 minutes ago. But yes, it's that disturbing.

7. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Someone on Twitter mentioned `A Serbian Film' a few weeks back. I'd never
    even heard of it. Of course, I had to order it. But I haven't worked up the gumption
    to watch it yet.

8. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Eraserhead made me queasy. I think that it's a brilliant original work of art but I don't need to see it again.

Society is just as nauseating as Eraserhead, Another brilliant movie that I don't need to see again.

Tom in Houston likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't know about the "brilliant" part, but I am good with the "Society is just as nauseating..." part.

10. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Yeah maybe not brilliant on the same level as Eraserhead but well done for what it is. There's a nice amount of build to the pay off. And if you're into body horror it doesn't disappoint.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Society is a horror/comedy, and works in that context. Eraserhead is a very different movie, imo.

12. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Agree. I only mentioned them together because they're both movies that I like and admire, but also so gross that I don't need to see them again.

13. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

If you find the misogynistic torture and degradation of women contained in this film , tame, then you're either mentally disturbed or....

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Which movie, there are three distinct movies referenced in that post. The first paragraph refers to Peeping Tom, and honestly, if that makes you outraged then you'd better stay away from the other movies mentioned. :D

For the record, I mostly watch horror movies, and always have. So that's my frame of reference.

Rocker likes this.
  15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

...simply not disturbed by fictional events?

16. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

Wasn't Eden Lake the film about the couple troubled by a group of ne'er-do-wells at the title lake who ended up seeking shelter in said ne'er-do-wells parents house? Shades of The Last House on The Left/Southern Comfort (and just about every second horror film).. it's been a while since I've seen it and don't remember much about it.. unlike Martyrs*, Irreversible etc. which were pretty grim viewing.

* The original - not the sh!t show that was the US remake! :thumbsdow

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  17. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Eden Lake really got to me. It's so hopeless and cruel. It leaves something to the imagination about the woman's fate at the end when she is trapped in the bathroom and screaming which makes it all the more disturbing.

18. friend74

friend74 Forum Resident

I once saw the movie White Lightnin. It's not a real hard movie but I found it kind of disturbing.

19. Licorice Pizza (2021)

notesfrom and Lightworker like this.
  20. Scott57

Scott57 Forum Resident

Came here to say this.

21. JMT

JMT Senior Member

The Sand Pebbles
    The Deer Hunter
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Three Identical Strangers

The first half is overall a feel good documentary, which is what I expected the whole thing to be. The second half is really messed up. Very disturbing because it really happened.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Interesting choice. Can I ask why? Yes, it has graphic (and highly suggestive) moments, but it's parody, pastiche, satire and comedy all rolled into one (and not very successfully, for this viewer). It's a totally different animal to the genuinely disturbing (and obviously vastly superior) original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

It's a very well made film, but although it aspires to be dark social commentary or allegory (concerning Serbian war crimes and wartime mentality, apparently) by its conclusion it feels more like an exercise in routine exploitation. There are different versions floating around (depending upon the region of release), with varying degrees of graphic imagery (and, moreover, disturbingly suggestive imagery).

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  24. Forty-five pages in and no one has mentioned The Human Centipede?! Both The Human Centipede (First Sequence) and The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence) were disturbing in the extreme (the third one was more of a dumb joke).

Bela Tarr's Satantango is one of my favorite films but as a cat lover I have to say that the scene with the little girl and the cat was probably the most disturbing thing I've ever sat through in all of cinema. Such a beautiful and haunting film, I still watch that scene every time I view the film again (which should be soon, as I've recently bought the Bluray and have yet to play it).

25. JMT

JMT Senior Member

Perhaps, but I still found it to be disturbing.