Ozark (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dmiller458, Jul 22, 2017.

1. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

The car crash, teased since the beginning of the season, horrible as it is, with everybody unharmed, is unforgivable bad writing for a show that aims for plausibility. When they get back home in a taxi they are smiling, as if they just had had a scary rollercoaster ride and not a near death experience. The show lost me there.

Scotian, Silken, EricSwan and 5 others like this.
  2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Yeah that car crash was full of holes. Everyone crawls out with out a scratch on them. Totally ridiculous. So was the car crash caused intentionally? It seems to me that it was.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

We did not see any evidence it was intentional. A truck does invade their lane and Marty has to avoid a head-on collision. The family never express any suspicion it was intentional.

Comet01 likes this.
  4. rockclassics

When the family got back to their house, someone….don’t recall who he was…says something to the effect of “consider it a warning”. This was the only thing that made me think the accident might have been intentional. I’ll need to go back and rewatch that part.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my son is bugging me to watch this!

6. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Since everyone has been discussing the ending, my perfect ending would have been Wendy and Marty would have turned into lions and had Camilla's henchman killed right there-particularly since she threatened their children, and you know they had plenty of roughnecks on the property to do their bidding. They then called the Chicago # to have her dispensed with, and warned Ruth just in case Camilla still tried something before she was dealt with I did not like the Byrds, but they are what they are, and I would have liked to have seen Ruth survive if they were going to.

7. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Maybe they can have Saul Goodman come in and help Three Langmore on the inheritance of Ruth’s estate.

8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Was it the best ending? Probably not. Was it a good ending and credible? Yup, and I think it worked.

The minivan crash was a near-death bonding experience. Sometimes it takes a brush with losing someone to really feel how much you care about them. With the kids now back with the family and Marty and Wendy saying "I love you" to each other(which felt jarring), they were now solid as a unit in a way they hadn't been since the whole cartel mess began. They had done a TON of work to get there.

No way was that PI going to take that from them. To be honest, I was sick to death of seeing him, and I'm glad he bought it at the end. Breaking and entering to get that "evidence" which would now probably be thrown out...some icon of goodness he was. He was no different than any of the other criminals on the show, obsessed with getting what he wanted. He had everything he wanted, including his old job back, but that wasn't enough. Thanks, Jonah.

I expect people will be suggesting I see a professional lol.

Dan

9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

No way this is the end.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Maybe they'll do a movie

Purple Jim likes this.
  11. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Was hoping to see
    Wendy get killed off,
    and for the last few episodes of the season it seemed that the writers might have been telegraphing this outcome
    as they made her behavior even more unbearably annoying than usual, possibly in an attempt to elevate viewers' antipathy toward her
    but alas, it was not to be.

BZync, vegafleet and Joshua Tree like this.
  12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Have you been in a car crash before?

Comet01 likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree 100%. You could cut the entire car crash thing out of the show, and it would change absolutely nothing. I feel like it was thrown in there to make the audience yell "WTF!"... which, of course, we did.

I was in a horrendous real crash back in 1996 where I flipped and rolled once, as opposed to rolling 4-5 times like in Ozark. But I did walk away from it, and had to deal with 14 (I counted) fire/rescue/sheriff/police people. Several of them shook my hand and said, "mister, you are the luckiest sumbitch we've met all year. Most of the time we see a wreck this bad, we just hose it down and call the coroner." It looked like this after they rolled it right-side-up:

[​IMG]

Not my fault, BTW, nobody was hurt, though I was traumatized for a day or two and just lay on the couch and stared at the ceiling.

Sometimes, stupid crap just happens. No intent, no evil plan, just stupidity.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    nosticker and EricSwan like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was wondering for a moment if Marty Byrd might literally take Omar Navarro's place, become the biggest drug lord in the world, and have the sister and her henchmen killed off.

It's interesting that Ruth wound up as the most moral, admirable person in the entire show (to me, anyway). I liked that scene with her seeing her (now-expired) relatives one last time, which was probably a clue as to what was going to happen.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I thought the ending was OK. I was hoping that Three was going to come out of nowhere end blast you know who before she pulled the trigger. It would have been a much better part of the ending to see that nasty bit of work get what she deserved!

Silken, trd, vegafleet and 1 other person like this.
  16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

It was at that point where I thought, "This is not going to be a good ending." Sadly, I was not wrong.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Me? No, not like that.

18. Tone

Tone Senior Member

As the writers said in the "Ozark / Beyond the scenes" episode at the end, Ozark was the story of two families..... the the well-off North Side Chicago Byrde family... and the scrappy Ozark Langmore family...... guess who came out butter-side-up? ... a very American Story.

trd and JimW like this.
  19. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Ruth should have endured.

The Laura Linney character should have been dispatched (she is so annoying and tedious, I don't even remember her character's name).

a stupid ending ....

20. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I too was in a similar crash. The key is not to hit anything (tree, pole, wall etc.) so the energy is dispersed.

Myself and two other passengers walked away with barely a scratch.

My mom saw the wreckage later in the junk lot and was reduced to tears. Kept talking about a guardian angel. I think she was right. ;)

kouzie, trd and nosticker like this.
  21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

It was the Priest that worked for the cartel, IIRC.

rockclassics likes this.
  22. rockclassics

I believe you are right based on my memory. Still need to go back and watch it again to see if he was referring to the van wreck.

23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It would be pretty easy to bring this show back for another season, and even bring Ruth back with it. The pastor character from the first few seasons survived basically an identical gunshot wound during a convenience store hold up.

24. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

That would annoy me more than killing her did.

I can (sometimes grudgingly) accept the TV-show/movie premise that nobody is actually dead unless we see the deed and a body is produced. However, unambiguously doing both of these things and nevertheless going back on it is just wrong, IMO. She was shot at point-blank range by a drug cartel person (who did not need to be in any hurry to leave and who presumably knows how to make sure someone is dead) and we got a long close-up on the motionless body, with a bullet hole in an appropriate place. I don't like the decision to do it, but the show needs to respect that it was was done.

vegafleet likes this.
  25. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Especially since I was thisclose to walking away from the show after her first few scenes in the first episode. Ruth and her accent and her curly hair definitely grew on me. Her lack of attention to security after shooting a druglord and becoming the richest woman in the county was regrettable.

Vidiot likes this.