the simpsons rewatch 1-33

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zombie dai, Apr 24, 2022.

1. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own Thread Starter

yes, there are very good episodes throughout

2. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

I understand what you're saying but watching them all in a row is different that watching them one episode a week over 3-plus decades. My original post was said because I've had that feeling when I've done this. Just curious to see if it happens with you.

3. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

That's humor jumping the shark. I agree with your post. I was someone who did think culture references were humor. Now I see that it's bad writing. The worst thing is the person writing it doesn't know it's not funny. I grew up with references as humor but I don't see it that way now. That doesn't mean I still won't laugh at a reference. I've been programed to do so. But I find myself laughing less because I don't find it funny and I no longer get the references. That's when you realize that all along they haven't been funny at all. Reminds me of the manatees episode of South Park commenting on Family Guy.

4. zombie dai

it depends on the reference. if it is smart and within the story then it's fine, but if it is like family guy which is pointless references to things not adding to the story then it's bad writing

geo50000 and Old Fart At Play like this.
  5. zombie dai

this, for example, adds to the story and if you didn't know the godfather films wouldn't know it's a reference/homage

LeBon Bush and Pete Puma like this.
  6. Someone In A Tree

Someone In A Tree Crow-flowers, nettles, daisies, and long purples

A Fish Called Selma (Season 7)
    Troy McClure gets a phone call from his agent:

Parker: Troy! Mac Parker. Ever hear of...Planet of the Apes?
    Troy: Uh... the movie or the planet?

One of my favorite lines in the whole series. It hasn't been the same without Troy and Lionel Hutz...

7. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

One of my absolute favorite Simpsons moments! Love that Planet of the Apes musical :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

...but really, the first few (1 to 10, maybe 11 as well) seasons are gold in my book, though every season after had a good share of gems, as well. I discovered the show around 2008, at age 9, and spent the better part of my teens watching it religiously, particularly the earlier episodes (at first in syndication, later on my parents got me a few seasons on DVD which were in heavy rotation whenever I was done doing stuff for school). A somewhat underrated moment, for me, is that episode in season 2 where Principal Skinner takes Patty on top of the elementary school's tower (only ever used in this single episode, mainly for a couple of Vertigo references). That episode seems so strange in the context of the series, but it's very special to me. The "Gone With The Wind"-mirroring ending sure helped. There were some serious emotions woven into these short 22 minutes.

[​IMG]

Because, after all: tomorrow is another school day!

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Pete Puma and Someone In A Tree like this.
  8. zombie dai

one of the best characters, no doubt!

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Sadly, the 'movie references' are not as 'deep-cut' as they used to be...
    I rarely re-watch "Run Lola Run", but whenever I see this episode, I think of it fondly,

10. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

Has anyone watched Groening's lates show Disenchantment? I barely got through the first episode. It felt like nothing really happened. I know Futurama is coming back also. It mostly seems things that start up after a break (or two) rarely are as good as what came before it.

geo50000 and zombie dai like this.
  11. zombie dai

i've never got round to watching it! i loved futurama, although it was, in my opinion, dumber than the simpsons- hey a robot who is rude, drinks and swears and seems to have a narcistic personality...cool. when futurama came back before, and then cancelled the second time made films, it didn't seedm as good. what can you tell me about the new ones? when are they out? disney+ etc?

12. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

Don't know where they'll be shown. I believe they are making them now.

zombie dai likes this.
  13. zombie dai

i did a goggle search and it said hulu and disney, with full original cast

14. zombie dai

i forgot milhouse's full name is milhouse mussolini van houten, milhouse after nixon's middle name

15. zombie dai

just started season 18

16. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

Any opinions of post-10 seasons?

zombie dai likes this.
  17. zombie dai

still very good, enjoying it immensely but i have noticed a lack of character development. there are now more innuendoes about characters' sexuality (lenny and carl, patty and selma, the flanders kids, milhouse et al). which adds nothing to the story and seems a cheap and easy way to make the characters have 'depth'. mr burns is starting to be more prominent, which is good, and apu is getting better too. i think marge is underused, and lisa becoming more of a 2d character. edna seems to be written by someone with ex wife issues

the homages/references are still subtle and fit in the story, and if you don't know the sources, you wouldn't know

i thought maybe the dip in writing was due to the writers leaving but most left after season 4

it is the later series when the couch gag has guests writers and last 1-3 minutes which i'm more nervous about

18. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

The couch gags took on a life of their own. While interesting, it means they have to write less story which can mean less development and more jokes. There is an episode in season 18, The Wife Aquatic, which really crossed a line in bad taste for me. There is a scene where Homer joyously beats a fish to death to the tune of At Last. It is just disturbing. I was hoping the commentary on the dvd would shed some light on it but I think they still found it funny. I still watched it after that but that scene was the low point for me.

19. Nomad

Nomad Forum Resident

Yes, that episode was called 'Prince and the Pauper'. Beginning of the end.
    Other bad episodes from the season (9) were 'Trash of the Titans", "The City of New York vs Homer Simpson"

For me personally all good entertainment Music, Films, Books, Video Games; very very rarely last more than 10 years without becoming repetitive and enduring worsening quality of the product.

20. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I guess you don't like Khlav Kalash. :D

carrick doone and Pete Puma like this.
  21. One of my personal favorites.

22. Only when served with crab juice.

carrick doone and vince like this.
  23. zombie dai

i'm on an episode based on 24 the show (i know because it tells you, i've never seen it). i forgot when they dropped references for straight up impersonations. the sound of barrels being scraped

Hammerhead likes this.
  24. zombie dai

a nice little nod to back to the future

25. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

I've read this episode isn't liked that much but I thought it funny but that's because I was in my 20's in the 90's.