Marvel (MCU) Phase IV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2019.

1. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

Alright curveball explain how they are going to get A List talent signed for not green light movies yet.
    You never addressed one point. So please hold your breath cuz it's gonna be years before they can get a project that isn't already inked and green light.
    And a big (and first point in this thread) was that I don't feel they will be topping the 10 yr run that got them to the top of tops.
    But if you your "you got me right " is about me personally you are off to because I am much worse than you would ever want to imagine.

Now let me know when the great projects get shooting (again not inked) and who is going to be in them (and if/when that happens elaborate on their great resumes).
    Or just back off.

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

How often did they get A list talent in Phases 1, 2 & 3? Marvel MADE them A-list.
    So your point is moot.

3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It was a "super suit" in that it was a living entity (a vampiric parasite, it turned out), that gave him infinite amounts of webbing and could change into his street clothes at a thought. It was a rather revolutionary idea at the time I think, one that they've watered down more and more (like the "Iron Spider" costume he donned during the Civil War era, or the litany of pointless costume changes he sported during the 2011-2018 comics era from a certain annoying and egocentric writer).

It's also the greatest costume redesign of a major comic character ever, IMO, and is as iconic in its way as the original Ditko-designed suit. I love the Miguel O' Hara Spider-Man 2099 costume as well.

Sony is unfortunately still heavily involved with these Tom Holland Spidey movies, and I'm not sure they think too far ahead as much as they just throw random crap at the walls from the comics.

Exactly, Spidey in the comics is a bit of punk and an outsider, or at least he was. He'd be calling Stark "Shellhead", not worshipping him. But Downey Jr became the center of the MCU and Sony wanted a big piece of that.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Just so long as Deadpool can keep cursing and showing graphic violence.....

Chrome_Head and BeatleJWOL like this.
  5. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Yeah, I know all about the black suit. At the same time, it didn't give him any new powers. It enhanced what he already had. It wasn't like he could suddenly fly or something like that. So it was easier to accept.

I felt like the motivation was much more like the immaturity of kids playing on the playground. The MCU came in, took over Spider-Man and said, we're the bigger kid on the block now, so we're going to make our character look bigger, cooler and stronger, and your character is going to be subservient to ours, a sidekick who has to learn the ropes from us. It's the same kind of immature crap comic book writers would do to each other. They'd get to use someone else's character in a crossover and make him look weak, and have to get helped out and saved by their character. Sort of like how Frank Miller favored Batman, and used Dark Knight Returns to make Superman into Batman's bitch.

6. Chrome_Head

He had the ability to morph between his costume and street clothes before with just a thought? That was a new ability.

The 90's cartoon did have the black suit augmenting his strength and making him more powerful, but that's not how DeFalco and others portrayed the symbiote initially.

I think it has a lot to do with casting a much younger actor for the first time in Holland, so he could play the part longer. And they could focus more on his High School years, and make John Hughes-type genre movies out of them.

7. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I believe the comic symbiote did enhance his strength. Yep, he could do costume changes easier and make webs easier, but not letting him do anything new. There was definitely enhancement of his abilities, which is part of what made him want to keep the suit, which was what the symbiote had in mind.

They wanted to do that, but that didn't require putting the Iron Man relationship in there.

8. Chrome_Head

I used to think this also, but other media is actually where they portrayed the black suit as making him physically stronger (and meaner). In the 80's comics, it didn't. Though it did later augment Eddie Brock's human strength as Venom (because it had residual traces of Peter's spider-powers).

The alien symbiote started out rather benign and rather playful in the comics--it did want to physically bond with Peter permanently though. He rejected it, and that's what turned it "evil" and against him.

I think Sony desperately wanted Homecoming and Far From Home tied in to the success of the MCU, especially coming off of Sony's two Andrew Garfield Spidey films which were financial and critical disappointments. That meant getting the face of the MCU, Downey Jr, into the movie prominently. And to make it worth RDJ's time and rate, it had to be a role with some meat.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Anthony Mackie Set to Return for ‘Captain America 4’

Anthony Mackie will officially suit up in Marvel Studios’ upcoming “Captain America 4” movie, co-written by “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier” head writer Malcolm Spellman.

Mackie first appeared as Sam Wilson (aka the Falcon) in 2014’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” and reprised the role in five subsequent movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. After Chris Evans’ Steve Rogers passed on Captain America’s shield at the end of “Avengers: Endgame,” Wilson officially assumed the mantle over the course of the Disney Plus series, “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.”

alexpop, Isaac K., Simon A and 2 others like this.
  10. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

Okay I will chill and be easy here, text/type is not very simple to get points or reasons really explained and is time consuming as well.
    But seriously I mean no ill will at all.

The big picture is there is a lot of people involved in films.
    Actors are one part and can be a very big one at that and too many reasons to list, which is also why this will be a little lengthy and would rather not have to explain every single detail as that would take pages.
    So there is a resume of work by many of those actors that showcases their skills.
    Directors know what they want and ask agencies/agency to show work of actors that could fit their needs, the agency/s (who know their job well and they are all a little different but still know what a director is asking for) then show some work done, then when director or who an if someone is answering to the director then shows director, director does interviews, screen testes, etc.... I hope all understand and probably know.
    So in reality everyone involved in a film of high magnitude or not is wanting to use A List people involved in every from start to finish.
    That said A List is even the the scouts of talents in all aspects to a film crew and cast.

So to just keep it short all are very important and you want to have a good reputation and good standing with all talents.
    I really can't keep going I have a meeting to get to.
    But we understand better I hope and I've seen A List actors not used to potential and look B or C like. I'm sure all have, so my point is it's a big machine.

add; I am keeping my cool and haven't read pages though will later.
    I hope all negativity is gone or please meet with respect.
    That is my best at being straight up.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

The Eternals final trailer.

Chrome_Head and Simon A like this.
  12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Who is the bad guy?

13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The first trailers had not done much to excite me but this one really makes me want to see it. I think this looks like it could be much, much better than Captain Marvel and Ragnarok.

14. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

All good points. As far as adaptation goes in terms of visuals, the first and best example is Batman. I love the classic blue and grey look for him, but if you are doing a serious take on the character in live action, there is no way putting him in blue and grey spandex is gonna fly. So Tim Burton made the masterful decision to portray the suit as a form of black body armor and almost every live action version has followed suit. That paved the way and sort of gave permission to allow the various movie and television producers to not directly recreate the comic book spandex looks.

Frankly the only Superhero that you can still get away with the spandex look is probably Superman given he's invulnerable, and even the more recent versions of that character has moved away from the basic tights and trunks look for something more like sportswear or pseudo chainmail.

Curveboy and Jim B. like this.
  15. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Burton's Batman costume design was terrible. And it led to a horrible trend that resulted in awful, ugly black body armor and leather outfits in so many action movies like X-Men, Matrix, G.I. Joe. We didn't get a good live-action Batman costume until Batman V Superman. Spider-Man broke the trend and proved again, as Superman had before, that you could do live-action superhero costumes that had the same colors as the comic books and make them look really good on screen. The MCU has pretty much stuck to accurate colors in their costumes and succeeded with it. Going with the all black look was more of a Burton fetish that proved to be an unnecessary change.

16. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

The only thing that was bad about the Tim Burton Batman is that he obviously couldn’t turn his neck. Other than that it was light years beyond the ridiculousness of what came before (Adam West). So take it in perspective. It wasn’t “terrible”. It was a notable improvement.

Jim B. likes this.
  17. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I'd love to see them try a costume with more blue. I at least like that we got some gray in the BVS costume. Wasn't as thrilled when they went back to all black in Justice League.

[​IMG]

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law, an Original series from Marvel Studios, starts streaming August 17 on Disney+.

19. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Awesome

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. Chrome_Head

This does look like fun!

Being that it’s a TV series, I expect there will be a few winking Easter eggs referencing the old Bill Bixby show.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm glad that Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) is finally getting some work, but I hate that they're featuring Mark Ruffalo as the 'smart' Hulk! I prefer when the Hulk 'smashes'!;)

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Prefer phase III.

23. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Professor Hulk defeats the entire purpose of the character which was basically Frankenstein's monster x Dr Jekyll.

The two vastly different side, the tension whether and when he will transform.... Those are the elements that define the character. Now he's just a strong Banner....which is boring.

To make it even worse, they let this transformation to Professor Hulk happen off screen with just a few lines of dialogue to explain it in Endgame. That is just lazy writing.

Simon A likes this.
  24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Hulk went through many incarnations throughout the decades, everywhere from having Banner’s full intelligence to being completely mindless. His transformation into Professor Hulk wasn’t off screen, it was direct result of being humbled and humilated at being overpowered strengthwise by Thanos. But for all we know, Banner could very well become the big bad of the She-Hulk series.

Curveboy likes this.
  25. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

According to the writers it was due to Hulk not wanting to be only 'called upon' when it hits the fan.

Nonetheless, Professor Hulk just pops up in Endgame and explains what happens. If you want to transform the character it would have been interesting to see that transformation/conversation between Banner and Hulk. Show, don't tell.

Chris DeVoe likes this.