Disturbing Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jayski, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Human Centipede again. Don't watch #2 & #3, they just suck.

2. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

I'll have to have another look as all I recall is that it showed a side of broken Britain that doesn't get shown in travel brouchures. It must be over ten years since I watched it and, after having a quick peek on google images, I don't seem to remember much about it at all!

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I like Ti West's other horror films pretty well.

4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's a homage to exploitation movies from the 70's. As such, it's a lot of fun, but not something to be taken seriously.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Barnabas Collins

I'm fine with that. Ti West's previous films, at least the ones I've seen, also pay homage to 70s films. I'm thinking of films like House of the Devils and The Innkeepers. Not disturbing in the least but moody and slow burn like.

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Indeed - although this one is more obvious in its roots. I'm not at all saying it's a bad thing, I thought it was one of the better horror watches of recent times.

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  7. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

I think #2 is worth watching because it's so weird and over the top. Trying to be as shocking as possible.

Scott57 and Bingo Bongo like this.
  8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, I could go along with that. But 3 - that's just a terrible film. A shame they went down that path.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there are things in the real life that best any movie no matter how horrifying it is...
    please let me know what you think...

10. Michael

I could not get past one...not my cup of tea...disgusting.

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

There's the difference between "disturbing" and "disgusting". Michael Henke's Funny Games was incredibly disturbing without featuring anything disgusting.

D-rock and Michael like this.
  12. Thanks to that reputation I found Peeping Tom pretty disappointing. I was expecting something severe and disturbing, but actually found it kind of facile and...well, not so good.

13. Chris DeVoe

It makes me wonder how much we've come to consider "normal." Has the "Overton Window" of what an audience will accept changed that much?

14. Chris DeVoe

I went to see X in the theater because I'm interested in that era of "adult" filmmaking, and quite enjoyed the cinematographer's sincere belief that he could make a real film. I would have preferred to have seen a film that got into that, that explored the relationships of the cast and crew without the whole serial killer plot, but I know they couldn't really get financing for the film I want to see.

15. Just because a movie deals with disturbing subject matter doesn't mean the movie itself will be. It depends on how it handles that subject matter. I don't think Peeping Tom worked very well, obviously your mileage varies.

16. Chris DeVoe

Fair enough.

17. Michael

OF COURSE...THC was disgusting without a doubt.

18. Michael

the thought of what was going to happen and the intentions of the act were quite disturbing...there was no shock value only who wasn't going to become a victim or who was the next?.

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

As I've said, it was of its time. All of its shock has long ago been replicated and taken to further extremes a long time ago. It's a rather mannered British film that clearly had an impact back in the day, but the fire doesn't burn so well any longer. More a historical signpost, I think.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  20. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Ciao Manhattan :sigh: :shake:

mbd40 likes this.
  21. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Good pick. Both ethically dubious and weird as hell.

Aftermath likes this.
  22. Barnabas Collins

I remember watching Peeping Tom in film school many, many years ago. I don't recall it being particularly shocking or disturbing. It's always been considered a classic suspense/horror film. I don't recall it being anywhere near as brutal as Straw Dogs, another film I saw in film school. I really wanted to take a shower after that one.

23. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

The recent remake of Suspiria gets preeeeeetttttyyyyy freaky.

D-rock likes this.
  24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Same here. I've had hangovers that were more disturbing and horrifying than anything in that movie.

Dudley Morris and D-rock like this.
  25. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I'm sure the film's makers weren't thinking ahead to what might be considered ''severe and disturbing'' in 2022. I personally think it's a really GOOD film.