The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Well, thanks!:love: Happy 1000 pages to Mark and the rest of the Avids. This has been a lot of fun. Hopefully people will hang on for the duration.

2. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

I've never noticed any difference in Ray's voice on State of Confusion. What is it in his singing that you are hearing? I've recently come round to viewing the album as their best Arista album (though Word of Mouth is probably still my favorite of the Clive years).

3. ThereOnceWasANote

I used to have Ray's interview in The Record magazine from around this time. I do remember reading this at the time.

4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Excellent! Perfect for ‘1,000 Page Celebration Day.’

5. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

There was a period at around 16 when, if people asked me what I wanted to do with my life, I'd say I wanted to be a music critic.

That passed, along with dozens of other career interests, & though I did wind up doing some magazine writing in the late 2000s, I never got to review a record.

Rowan x loves music, and -- being from a different generation -- her tastes have informed and supplemented mine. Daughter x is growing into an amazingly discerning music lover, and is now learning theory -- at 13! But, even when I'm hanging with musicians, I often feel like I don't have anyone to really discuss music with.

After a couple of months posting here and there on this forum, & seeing the mass neuroses and moderator interventions and pointless conflicts most internet forums wind up drowning in,, I gave it one last glance before leaving, which is when I found this thread. At 700 plus pages, I assumed it was long done and locked, but as a huge Kinks fan I started reading it from the beginning. And man -- there were some amazing posts, people bringing up really obscure granular stuff I thought only I'd ever noticed, people who heard stuff I'd never imagined was there, brilliant funny erudite writers who knew musicology and obscure biographical facts and brought in their own personal emotional responses to songs I'd loved for 40 years.

I read a few pages a night, and became such a fan of the various people who post here that, over time, they (you) became sort of iconic to me, like the writers from Creem and Rolling Stone I'd followed in my teens. After reading, I'd listen to the songs I'd known forever again, discovering depths and nuances I'd never heard before.

There was no storming off the thread, no calling for the mods, no pointless internet name-calling. Just a group of really bright, really well-informed people talking about a subject I loved.

& I had things to add! Things I'd noticed and forgotten, things I was noticing for the first time.

Then, around the end of Soap Opera, I glanced up to see what page I'd reached, and I was at the end of the thread. It was still active! The mythic knowledgeable rock critic virtual scholars I'd been following for weeks were actually accessible in real time.

I can't describe what a thrill & joy it's been to participate in this thread, & feel welcomed. I still feel like a newbie, and wish I'd been here from the beginning, but I'll take what I got. It's brightened some dark days, and given me the chance to write about a dear & cherished subject I've never been in the position to write about. Happy 1,000 pages -- if only it could go on 1,000 more.

6. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

It’s funny, I’m really struggling to keep up over the last few albums. I’m sure it’s work and business travel that’s interfering, and yet we have covered a few of the albums that really were “my“ Kinks albums growing up so it is breaking my heart that I have not been able to contribute more.

A Little Bit of Abuse: I didn’t pay much attention to this one in my youth, but I have dutifully spent a good six weeks now listening to the songs that I didn’t know from GTPWTW and, as with almost every kinks song, as a result it’s been able to earworm its way in. That said, I would still put it near the bottom third of the album and it’s 50-50 as to whether it would make my playlist. A few others have mentioned that it’s similar in some ways to yo-yo, and at least at the moment I think I like yo-yo better, so if one of them needs to get the axe it will probably be this song.

Better Things: Very cool kinks song, very old style. Everyone on here seems to like this song and it seems like it is widely regarded in general (meaning not just amongst the Avids on this thread). I agree, the song is definitely an A+ kinks song. That said, it’s not my favorite on the album, that would still go to either Around the Dial, GTPWTW (the song), Destroyer, Back to Front or Add It Up. …and to me that says…

GTPWTW (the album, revisited): In retrospect, now that we have reviewed each of the songs on here, I still like this album as much or more as I did back in the day. The songs I liked I still like a lot. Of the songs I had ignored back in the day, several of them have been quite elevated in the standings. Yo Yo, Add it Up and Better Things had been virtually ignored, and they now join the songs I always liked as top-tier songs. Art Lover I have come to enjoy despite the fact that it kind of makes my stomach do somersaults and even if A Little Bit of Abuse gets tagged as my least favorite song on the album, it’s still pretty enjoyable.

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

With all love and due respect musicians are an odd bunch..... and I say that as one.
    There is a tendency for muso's to be a bit b!itchy lol

8. mark winstanley

I have noticed a couple of folks that have lagged behind, due to probably work and other commitments.
    With the Dave albums rolling three a day, I've been struggling a little as well.

How would everyone feel about me posting the State Of Confusion album on Thursday, and then posting the first song on Saturday?

Two one day breaks for folks to catch up to where we are, without holding off from posting, as there is still tons to talk about.

9. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Sunday Assortment

• I’ve been to a few Dave shows where he’s played One Night With You. Tracy, my girlfriend at the time caught on instantly, she already thought Dave was v. charming but covering Elvis sealed the deal. We were basically standing right in front of Dave, and Tracy told me afterwards she focused on Dave’s fingers and fretwork most of the night. She was so inspired witnessing, up close and personal, music being constructed out of thin air, that she took up guitar.

• For posterity’s sake, @mark winstanley, may I approach the blackboard and submit a lyric change in Charity. It should read: ‘when people die, children cry.’ (he ain’t subtle, folks)
    • Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn’t wish everyone here a happy ‘One Thousand Pages.’ People like me, we need structure and routine in our lives, and this thread satisfies that need. I’ve become more productive, find myself on an even keel, and am always looking forwards. My biggest regret is one I share with @Steve62 , that I didn’t join earlier. In my defense, I didn’t learn of this thread until it was at Muswell Hillbillies, and I joined the SHF shortly thereafter. I started reading from page one and caught myself up but, shamefully, only lurked through the next few albums. I, too, signed up specifically for this Kinks thread. I don’t know what I’ll ever do when this runs it’s course. I don’t participate in any other threads, but I do get the feeling we’re being spoiled here, big time. Sometimes I feel I’d like to have Mark live my life for me. I have so much respect for all of you and the nuggets, and perspectives, and camaraderie you provide. This thread must surely be an essential read for any future Kinks scholars. Thanks again, Headmaster, for your brilliant stewardship of this v. real community. This is where we belong!

We were Perfect strangers

On this road we are on
    Now We are not two
    We are one

10. mark winstanley

For the record....

A thread never really has to end...

When the formal routine of going through the albums is finished, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever folks can't pick a song, or album, or period, or tour, book, video, movie and strike up a conversation about it.
    The Rush, Genesis and Cold Chisel threads seem to have taken on a life of their own to some degree.

So it ain't over till it's over.... and who knows what may be released down the road.
    So be of good heart and cheer, don't you fret, the end ain't near.

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

My Kinks 1,000 remarks center, as per usual, on playlists. My pre-thread knowledge of The Kinks were the Muswell and Village Green albums (in their entirety) and perhaps 10+ singles; so maybe in the 40 song range.

Due to the intense course of study as dictated (?!) by Mark (I still think there oughta be a final exam) I now have placed a total of 113 songs onto three playlists. That’s over 70 songs that are being appreciated due to this deep dive.

‘113’ places The Kinks in the number 2 spot, trailing only Neil Young’s 145+ (and leaving Bob Dylan’s 106+ a full length behind).

We still have four albums to go so I expect it’ll nudge up a bit.

12. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

I too created an account for this thread, after lurking in the backyard for months. The thread has had many virtues for me, one of which being that I made much progress in my alternate Kinks albums project. And I gained both better knowledge and appreciation for the more obscure parts of the discography. And of course got to virtually meet great, sensitive and knowledgable people.

I agree with what's been said earlier today: this is a place where I can have a conversation that few or none of those near me could withstand or gain interest in. Maybe this thread could be subtitled "The Kinks Fan's Safe Space". Or "Kinks Fan P*rn", which would make sense.

13. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

It's an impression I had this week when listening to the album. I love most brands of shouty Rays, but this appeared to me as some sort of Bryan Adams Ray, which is not OK. [Edit : or maybe Bon Jovi Ray, I don't know. I tend to mix them up. I mean this way of singing loud with a kind of fake growl in the background, a bit less present thant Rod Stewart's, but very artificial to my ear].

I withold my conclusions until further investigations though.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  14. mark winstanley

I think you will... there are some really good songs ahead, even if I'm not sure about the albums yet.

15. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Better Things
    The first great Kinks single of the '80s. And to these ears, there's several more to come. 'Better Things' seems like the other side of the coin to 'Days', one looking with fondness to the past, with the other looking forward with positivity for the future. Doesn't feel like it's part of the album for some reason, tagged on at the end. It does at least lighten the mood of the album.
    Massive Reductions
    I hadn't realised until a few years ago that this was substantially different to 'Word Of Mouth's 'Massive Reductions'. I quite like it.

I'm struggling to keep up (yet again), currently got both parents in separate hospitals. It's not been the best week or so.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  16. Mark R. Y.

Mark R. Y. Getting deep down

I only got enthralled with this thread about a month ago, but it's inspired me to get deep into the Kinks. I jumped around for awhile (for instance, reading the Everybody's in Showbiz entries a couple of weeks ago when I was listening to a copy of the deluxe CD a few times), but I've gone back to page 1 this last week and have been reading (and listening) from the start (I'm up to the "Sunny Afternoon" single of 1966 today). Great in-depth information, anecdotes, photos of sleeves, funny digressions; this is a terrific "dive deep" "kinkdom".

17. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Chosen People (album)
    This was, for many years my favourite of Dave's three solo albums, I like his ballads more than the rockers where his vocals can become a bit more of a acquired taste... This album, as I recall has a few nice ones. Took ages to get a copy on CD.

Tapas
    An instrumental and it's OK, doesn't outstay it's welcome.
    Charity
    I'd not taken much interest in this one before. Actually quite like it, holds together with plenty of interest .
    Mean Disposition
    Wouldn't have been my choice to release as a single and make a promo video for. Quite boring to me.

18. mark winstanley

Welcome to the thread.
    Roll through however takes your fancy.

We start State Of Confusion on Thursday morning.... it's been a busy time for most folks, so we will run the first song on Saturday to break it up a little.

Join us if you like, or wander as a free spirit. You're welcome either way :righton:

19. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

That’s fantastic.

20. ThereOnceWasANote

The next three albums are top shelf.

21. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Ah...Sudbury! Cool

I grew up in a broken down mill town, but it's definitely improved over the years.

22. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Happy 1k! Nicest people on the forum are on this thread, and it’s the best behaved thread, as well. It says a lot that… we’re not like everyone else! Cheers to all.

23. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I'm here to report that last year on this day we were discussing "Mr. Reporter". It was the version with Ray on vocals and we were on page 108.

24. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Happy 1000+. Not sure exactly when I joined, but it was fairly early and Ive read every word of it. It has been insightful and enlightening and mostly wonderful. Even where I may have disagreed on some point or other. We still have lots of good music still to come, so looking forward to those conversations.

God Save the Kinks,

25. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

This has been a terrific thread so far. Thanks everyone. Happy to be here.