The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

That Ray interview was fascinating to read - particularly his comments about who "Heart Of Gold" is supposedly about. I listened to State Of Confusion at the weekend, and I had my own revelation about who that song is really about. The alien dream section in "Cliches Of The World" may also take on new significance when we go through today's songs...

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I hope to get a chance in the next couple of days

DISKOJOE and All Down The Line like this.
  3. mark winstanley

Love Gets You.

stereo mix (2:41), recorded Jun-Jul 1983 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London

Love gets you any way, any way it can.
    Love gets you any way, any way it can.

Close my eyes and think of you, my love,
    This space is full of you, my love,
    Oh, hold me tight here in your arms tonight.

Love gets you any way that you want it,
    Love gets you any way, it's true.
    Love gets you any way.

Good-bye lonely now my life's begun,
    All the nights I used to sit alone.
    Oh, promise me you'll need me always.

Love gets you any way.

All I want's your love, keep telling me soft and clear,
    There's no other one, love me for ever, dear.
    [Ohoh, ohoh, ohoh]

Any way it can.
    Any way it can.

Written by: Dave Davies
    Published by: Dabe Music, Ltd.

Dave shows a much lighter touch here with a love song, that is much less in your face than most of his solo material so far.

We open with some airy keys, and a lower pitched synth that is sort of directing traffic.
    We move into this moderate tempo, boppy kind of track, and it has a nice feel and sound that seems like it could have been a radio track in the eighties.

Lyrically, again, we have a clear thought process that speaks directly to the subject, and it is a pretty straight forward love song...
    Interestingly, so far this seems like the most accessible album Dave has done so far, and yet was the least successful of these first three.

I like the melodic structure, and the easy going and flowing way he has put this together.

Nice layered vocals, nice use of the synth as a basis for the music.... it actually makes me wonder if Van Halen was listening to Dave again here, with the synth coming into the picture over the next couple of Van Halen albums... particularly 5150.... this could almost be on 5150....

Anyway, this is another track that I enjoy, it isn't earth shattering, but it is pleasant and enjoyable

4. mark winstanley

True Story.

stereo mix (3:43), recorded Jun-Jul 1983 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London

As I walked home the other night,
    I looked up to the sky.
    It hit me like a light in the head
    He showed me of the world
    In a different way.
    Oh, I'll never be the same.

[This is space-sector calling] Are you talking to me?
    [We have a message for you] I could not help but listen.
    [Children of earth must all become] One family.
    [Your leaders will not listen] But what can I do?
    [People will listen to you] I'm just a poor fool,
    [Reach out and help us and] Make them understand.

A place for everyone,
    In their sacred plan.
    Living in all lands.
    I'll never turn away,
    Now my life has changed,
    I'll never be the same.

[We have a message for you] I could not help but listen.

[We have a message for you] Oh what can it be?

This is quite interesting, in that it kind of sounds like something eighties ELO may have done.

I guess this is the story of Dave talking with the aliens... make of that what you will.

Lyrically it is interesting and well laid out.
    We have Dave walking down the road one night and he receives a contact via a light.
    The Space Sector call him and have a message for him to spread the word, and Dave justifiably asks "But what can I do?"... He's told people will listen to him.... and he needs to make them understand.

Whether one buys into the idea of this thematically or not, it is pretty well written as a song, and I'm sure something like this would indeed change your life... though as humans we tend not to be too focused for too long....

I like the chorus, but the alien section and the Dave section sometimes end up seeming to be the wrong way around, even though the vocals are doubled in those sections, suggesting perhaps some kind of possession.

This is again, a keyboard driven song, and as much as I like Dave's guitar, I think it is a very effective use of the keyboards and synths, and it is also a nice textural variation.
    We do get some nice use of guitar to embellish the synth chords.

Again Dave has some nice melodic movements going on and the song works from that perspective.
    This is a pleasant and easy going track that isn't attacking the senses, and more caressing them.

This is actually a pretty good song, again, it makes me think of ELO, and I could imagine something like this off the Time album.

An interesting track from Dave, and another that I like.

5. mark winstanley

Take One More Chance.

stereo mix (3:01), recorded Jun-Jul 1983 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London

Ooh, I don't understand,
    In this crazy world we live in,
    Just look around, is it true?
    No one gives a damn.
    Trapped in a world of illusion,
    Is it too late for us, ooh?

Baby, we'll never know why we're stranded here,
    Lost in this crowded room,
    I noticed you the minute you came into view.
    But you're so hard to me,
    Oh, why do I care for you so?
    I never ever doubt, my love,
    The time is oh so right for love.

Take one more chance, this is the last dance.
    Take one more chance, this is the last romance.

I don't understand,
    Been avoiding me all evening.
    Each time I looked you just dance,
    Again on the floor.
    Like life itself had no meaning.
    If I could touch you,
    But oohooh, deep in my heart I know,
    There's a destiny,
    Through all this sadness I see.
    It's not too late to change, my love,
    Tonight the stars are made for love.

Take one more chance, this is the last dance.
    Take one more chance, this is the last romance.

[One more chance] Take one more glance and give our life a chance.
    [One more chance] Take one more glance and give our life a chance.
    [One more chance] Take one more chance, this is the last dance.

This seems like another love song style track, and again Dave presents us a predominantly keyboard driven track that leans into a more easy listening vibe.

The opening is really very good. It sounds like melodically and chord-wise that Dave may have been listening to some jazz or something.... there's something about the chordal phrasing and the vocal melody that makes me think of something from an earlier era.

We have quite a few modulations into other keys via mostly smooth changes that work very well.

This is a very well put together track, and it seems so unlike Dave, it has this easy going vibe that doesn't attack the senses but tries to smoothly work its way in.

So far this is quite an interesting album, and for the folks that found the last two a little abrasive, this may be a more palatable style.

I think I quite like this as well.....

6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Good call! :righton: But it's not quite as interesting as those tracks IMO.

It also reminds me a bit of Roger Hodgson's In the Eye of the Storm.

7. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Have we missed "Danger Zone"?

Should be inbetween "Love Gets You" and "True Story".

8. mark winstanley

I had to look for that one....
    I guess there were a couple of variations on this release, and the copy I was looking at didn't have that.
    I'll have to slot that one in on another day.... apologies

9. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Love Gets You"

A very nice track with an attractive hook and simple structure, more synth and acoustic based than the previous tracks. The dualled vocal in the verses works well, and I reckon this is a Dave song that would have slotted neatly into a Kinks album if it wasn't already earmarked for Chosen People.

10. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Dave playing ‘Love Gets You’ on Dick Clark’s American Bandstand in 1983. There’s also a brief interview. It’s bizzare to me that during the 35 year run of this US TV pop music institution, which was on air during the entirety of The Kinks prime career, this appears (unless anyone knows any different) to have been the ONLY in person appearance by any member of the group on this show. It may even have been the only time any Kinks related music was even featured on the show for all I know!

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  11. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Love Gets You
    This is probably my favourite on the album - from memory and without a deep-dive into the whole album at the moment. Nothing revelatory, just a nice, accessible song lyrically and melodically. The acoustic version from the 'Unfinished Business' compilation, still to come is quite lovely.
    True Story
    It's quite interesting isn't it. I don't think you have to have been touched by aliens to agree with the sentiment. Agree about the ELO similarities. Again, a song that works quite nicely. Being very synthy suits the song well.
    Take One More Chance
    Another perfectly accessible song without any ear bleeding! Maybe this one is my favourite. Very enjoyable. Great vocal from Dave. Wouldn't seem out of place on a Kinks album, where I'm sure it would have achieved much greater appreciation.

Three very good songs in a row.

12. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"True Story"

Again it's synth driven, although we get a bit of subtle phased/flanged(?) guitar during the verse as well. I get the nagging feeling that I've heard this verse melody in another Dave song, but I can't identify which one for the moment. Whether you take the song's message on board or not, it's still a pleasant and interesting track. I don't have a huge knowledge of ELO, but I can hear the similarity - and the lyrics probably wouldn't have raised an eyebrow there! I think this one and the previous one come across better heard in isolation than within the album. Note that on the version I have, the rockier and more lyrically vague "Danger Zone" separates these two.

13. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Love Gets You

Who pulled the strings to get Dave on American Bandstand with this number? For many years I thought he was singing ‘Love gets you any way you want it.’ In Kink, Dave writes, ‘They wouldn’t play it on Top 40 radio because they didn’t like the way I sang the words, ‘D’you wannit’...they thought it was too suggestive, as in ‘D’you wannit darlin’?’ Nice try, but to me the reason it never received airplay or charted was his high-pitched vocal. Canines don’t buy 45’s, and the record-buying public weren’t going to be swayed by his wailing. I do like the song, though it’s the re-recorded version found on Unfinished Business - Dave Davies Kronikles that gets my ear-time. I believe @DISKOJOE agrees.

Danger Zone

Ah, the government. I was beginning to get worried. The chorus is uninspired, but then, this is a paint-by-numbers song. Bonus points for bringing up (what’s wrong with) solar power in song, in ‘83. And for the prescient ad-lib: ‘No profit; money, money, money, makes me sick.’

True Story

Whether you take Dave’s alien contact at face
    value or not, this is a meaningful, humbling song. A test balloon for True Phenomenon, his superior update written in the late nineties. Why should we believe it so impossible that we may not be the only ones in this vast universe? Just this past week, the U.S. government (uh-oh) was leaning toward acceptance of UFO activity. Forty years ago, Dave was ridiculed and ostracized by some in the music industry; even Ray would mock on occasion. This is, by no means, a perfect song. It doesn’t have to be; it haunts and moves me, even if a lot of that has to do with his guts for writing it. Side One is a winner.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  14. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Take One More Chance"

Another ballad, although it has to be said I find this one a little syrupy. Some of the synth sounds are a bit cheesy and the strings take it further over the top. Dave's vocals at the start remind me a little of Jon on the first two Yes albums. Once the song starts in earnest the melody line starts rapidly ascending and Dave's voice cracks momentarily at 0:46. It's OK - well-structured and brief, but Side One ends with a bit of a sugar overdose.

15. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Love Gets You may be the most straightforward and melodic solo Dave song of his three solo LPs so far. It’s catchy, very melodic, quite a superb little pop nugget with just a zest of eighties synth, that actually add some depth and density to the piece.

True Story’s what it is. I can see the ELO/Time thing (perhaps my favorite ELO record, if you cut out the ludicrous French chorus at the end), but it’s not nearly as catchy and entertaining. Same with In the Eye of the Storm, as noted by @croquetlawns. The Had a Dream opening tune never fails to stun me, while this is just ok and a bit repetitive.

I’d say the true ELO gem is Take One More Chance. When the dry drums, bass and rhythm guitar comes in at the 21’’ mark, you enter Jeff Lynne heaven (or hell for people who hate his signature sound). It’s almost a Cloud Nine outtake in advance. You even get a glimpse of the little descending guitar gimmick/hook that Lynne put on … almost all his produced hits of the Wilbury years (listen 28’’, it’s short of a note or two, though). The thirty seconds outro, with the high-pitched (but not strident) counterpoint, is quite majestic. This is a great surprise.

The record’s really upped its game there…

(a little friendly nod at @CheshireCat, sure hope your parents are ok)

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yeah, yet another interview where the interviewer is well prepared and knowledgeable. And then I’m always impressed when Ray can instantly recall a line from a song that he might have written a decade or more ago.

He did make that vigorous defense of his brother (re Jimmy Page rumor/allegation) that’s been posted before. It seems like a backhanded sort of compliment (towards Dave), though. Something like, “Dave doesn’t have much”!

Well worth reading the interview.

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I can’t wait to hear this one!

18. mark winstanley

I finally got around to it.
    It's really interesting. It didn't go where I thought it would lol

I can't figure Ray out. He seems completely removed from his music to some degree.... except for fleeting moments of enthusiasm about odd things...
    That girl that came on stage seems to be the thing he was most interested in.

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Love Gets You: the pick of today’s crop. Well put together.

True Story: another one that is pleasant. I guess at this point I should finally abandon my secret longing for Dave’s vocal-of-yore…those young days when he resembled Ronnie Lane. I’d think Dave’s voice would become raspier with age but it’s just the opposite!

Take One More Chance: no, thank you! Like @ARL noted, syrupy.

20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

One Night With You

A good performance from Dave particularly on guitar and particularly live.
    This suits him and he could hardly go wrong!

21. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

Chosen People isn’t exactly easy to get a hold of. It’s out of print, and the only used copy I saw on eBay was almost $50. It’s not up for streaming on Spotify or available for download anywhere. Just out of curiosity, I tweeted at Dave yesterday and was shocked to get a response this morning - evidently there is hope that it will be more available in some form in the near future.
    https://twitter.com/davedavieskinks/status/1528684449340305411?s=21&t=mj0FBlI00gCrqGWa7axJOA

22. All Down The Line

You still feel like a new boy even though you've been round here since the mid 70's like Ron Wood?

Brian x, markelis, DISKOJOE and 2 others like this.
  23. All Down The Line

4?

24. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Thanks for the friendly nod! Dad escaping hospital today, just waiting to get a time to go and pick up. :) Mum, not so good, but hanging on in there.

25. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Amazing !

I did listen to the album on Spotify, though. Is there a region thing ?
    Chosen People