David Bowie - New Live/Documentary Movie "Moonage Daydream"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EfWe, Nov 18, 2021.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I really have a feeling this will be a moderately enjoyable single watch.

"The film, including its title track, draws extensively on Bowie’s 1970 to 1977 song catalogue in which BMG has a 25% stake including ‘Changes’, ‘Starman’, ‘Ziggy Stardust’, ‘The Jean Genie’, ‘All The Young Dudes’, ‘Life on Mars’, ‘Rebel Rebel’, ‘Fame’, ‘Young Americans’ and ‘Golden Years’. BMG’s relationship with the Bowie catalogue is unaffected by Warner Music’s recent acquisition of the Bowie song catalogue."

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yes! How important to anyone under 40 is Bowie (musically)? Plus, how many of us long time fans are still alive and have disposable income?

3. moomoomoomoo

My only family is a cat, so I have been able to indulge music & movie collecting. Unfortunately, I had to re-roof my house 3 weeks ago. Disposable income, what's that?!

4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Yes, I’d be more interested in the Stage film, but looking forward to this documentary.

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  5. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

According to Tony Visconti, the film is 4 hours long.

RickA, Jerk The Handle and gamuzajoe like this.
  6. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Maybe they haven't yet told him yet they edited his part out of it, much like that video he recorded for Mike Garson's umpteenth yearly celebration thing :winkgrin:

7. moomoomoomoo

Wow.

Frankie_Collector likes this.
  8. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

The Gospel according to Tony V. ? :D

9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Maybe after Get Back the powers that be are realising that some of us have longer attention spans than they thought!

10. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Would love to see this in a theater--I'll keep an eye on this thread.

11. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

From Deadline: Neon Unspools New Footage [at CinemaCon] For David Bowie Cannes Film ‘Moonage Daydream’, Eyes Falls Release

"Those in the room got to see the music video for Bowie’s “Hallo Spaceboy,” which was filled with the singer’s dance-electronic pop-space coolness. Then a Bowie interview was shown.

“We remastered the music so each one of your theaters can provide experiences that audiences have never heard before.” [Morgen] said he spent two years scrolling through every piece of material in the Bowie archives to find the best and rarest.

The pic is getting a September [2022] release."

longdist01 and hi_watt like this.
  12. Frankie_Collector

"As for Moonage Daydream, that footage was exclusive to CinemaCon ahead of its September release. According to earlier reports, Morgen worked on Bowie film for more than five years. It blends thousands of hours of concert and performance footage of the icon who passed away from cancer in January 2016. Morgan is the filmmaker behind Jane, Cobain: Montage of Heck and the Oscar-nominated On the Ropes.

Neon’s Federoff presented the footage and said that it’s the first film sanctioned by Bowie’s estate and it is a summation of more than five million assets that provide “unfiltered access” thanks to master recordings and concert footage that has never been seen before, “anchored by his own insights.” She called Bowie “our superhero.” The footage was a blend of concerts, animation, interviews and, of course, electrifying music some of which featured Bowie as Ziggy Stardust. The final footage of the day featured Bowie performing his song “Heroes” from the ’70s album of the same name.

Moonage Daydream producer Bill Gerber took the stage after Federoff. He praised Morgen for being the brains behind the film as “not only the conductor” but the sole editor of the massive undertaking. “Brett has handcrafted a sublime kaleidoscopic endeavor that only a true Bowie fan could conceive,” said the Star is Born producer. “It’s a film [Bowie] would have wanted to be made.”

Gerber introduced Morgen who praised Bowie as an inspirational figure who showed him, in his youth, that it was OK to be himself. “My differences were my strengths,” he said. “David Bowie is the perfect star for this moment.”
    He said that he crafted the film to play more like an experience. “My hope with this film is that audiences find the same comfort and joy and hope that I experienced making this film. I hope audiences rock out,” he said. Though he admitted that Tuesday’s presentation was not an ideal experience for him as the exclusive footage featured the wrong color scape and was not the version with color correction he had intended. “It was every filmmaker’s worst nightmare,” he revealed. “Hopefully you will see it in September. Thank you. It is truly a great honor.”"

13. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The suggestion that the film includes 'animations' makes me raise an eyebrow!

skisdlimit and Frankie_Collector like this.
  14. Frankie_Collector

Earlier this month, Neon and HBO acquired the David Bowie documentary "Moonage Daydream," a Bowie-estate-approved film directed by "Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck" filmmaker Brett Morgen. Today, the Neon team showed first footage from the new project at CinemaCon 2022 in Las Vegas, and the /Film team was there to witness it. We've also learned that in addition to directing, Morgen is credited as the writer, producer, and sole editor on the upcoming project.

Described by Neon as a "sonic and visual extravaganza," Morgen's documentary sounds more like a cosmic experience than a traditional musician's biography. The team showed two clips from the film today, both of which combined Bowie's music and footage from live performances and interviews with classic films and images that evoke the strange sci-fi vibe the artist was known for. Neon also boasted that the project will be a culmination of over five million assets, including recordings and footage (presumably including some from the Bowie estate) that have never been shared before.

The first look at "Moonage Daydream" was a snippet of the film's prologue, featuring Bowie's "Hallo Spaceboy." It's visceral and atmospheric, beginning with black and white footage of the moon's surface and ethereal shots of outer space. A little girl with a tail walks the moon with no spacesuit, until she stumbles upon one. Inside, she sees a decomposing skull. Before audiences have time to make sense of these images, the camera cuts to a montage of classic films, including Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" and Georges Méliès' "A Trip To The Moon." Bowie appears, performing the song, and the clip culminates with thrumming drums, shots of an eager crowd, and cross-cut archival footage of a rocket launch.

As if this trippy, breathless experience wasn't enough, Neon presented two more clips from "Moonage Daydream" at CinemaCon, and both rock very hard. In one, the superstar performs "Heroes" on a UK stage while footage from earlier the same day shows crew members prepping for the show and audiences reaching a fever pitch of anticipation before Bowie has started performing. In another, the singer belts out "Moonage Daydream" in a puffy white shirt while bathed in a pool of yellow light. The latter clip includes plenty of the same energetic editing as the rocket-powered prologue, tying in clips of B-movie alien spaceships and more ecstatic crowds before the image ultimately distorts and comes to an end.

From the looks of it, "Moonage Daydream" will be anything but a by-the-book music documentary. Morgen himself appeared at CinemaCon to explain that he remastered the artist's music and scrolled the Bowie archives for two years to put together the film. "Bowie cannot be defined," Morgen says. "He can be experienced." Based on our first look, "Moonage Daydream" will certainly be qute an experience.

Neon has not announced a release date for "Moonage Daydream," so stay tuned.

15. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

16. moomoomoomoo

I want new Ziggy era concert footage with REAL audio from the show the footage came from.

17. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

"Heck" included animation, mixed-media stuff etc.

Bink likes this.
  18. Frankie_Collector

MOONAGE DAYDREAM - Festival de Cannes

MOONAGE DAYDREAM
    Directed by : Brett MORGEN

Year of production : 2022
    Length : 140 minutes

Hopefully the 4 hour cut Visconti mentioned is released for us hardcore via streaming or physical product at some point.

19. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

To my understanding, Universal Pictures Content Group has international rights for release, and HBO has release rights for the USA.

20. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

I want a Ziggy wig.

21. Frankie_Collector

Yes but what I mean is that I hope the full 4 hours are released. Unless Tony was exaggerating and it was never that long to begin with.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  22. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

TV is a master of creating interest in outtakes that may or may not exist. That’s an observation not a criticism faod.

I’m still interested to learn if this film uses all surviving footage from gigs we’d hoped there were full films of, or if that will be on the extended version. Did anyone catalogue the content of the …Is app?

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  23. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Official teaser:

24. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Quality looks great.
    Double fingers crossed they will also release the full Earls Court 1978 film footage for real fans now that it's been professionally digitized. Would be such a huge shame if that was digitally shelved yet again. It will no doubt be his most interesting concert release ever.
    Judging by the trailer they had a cameraman on stage as well.

supernaut, RickA, jhm and 6 others like this.
  25. kilianltia

kilianltia Well-Known Member

Trailer just up. This is going to be massive. Also, the Stage footage looks astounding.

enro99, Chrome_Head, jacden and 6 others like this.