The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Danger Zone"

Starts off with a nice muscular chunky riff that wouldn't sound out of place in a Kinks song, transitions into a verse with a nice plaintive melody, and this is sounding promising. Unfortunately the chorus is a bit silly - Dave's delivery is hard to take seriously. I like the change into the middle section, but then we are back into the chorus and the bizarre "what's wrong with solar power" exchange. It's well-produced, and in intent and delivery I'd say it's not a million miles from the two Dave songs that ended up on Phobia. Not a bad shout that this should have been the side one closer.

2. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Just some quick thoughts because I've only been able to listen on YouTube, so haven't had a chance to really spend a lot of time with it...
    Tapas - This sounds like it should be a TV theme of a cop drama from the 80s.
    Charity - This seems it could have belonged on Glamour.
    Mean Disposition - First thing I noticed here was that these lyrics seem more Ray than Dave to me! Musically, I like the layered guitars and how the guitar fills the gaps in the verse. The acoustic change-up is nice, and the catchy "do do do do, do do do, do do" along with the riff. Nice song
    Love Gets You - Another winner. Solid song, good harmonies, almost dare I say Beatle-esque in the pre-chorus I think ("Oh, promise me you'll need me always."? Perhaps more indirectly Beatle-esque, but more directly Jeff Lynne produced, so there is the ELO connection I hear!
    True Story - I'm getting some Styx vibes here. Another pretty good song, and not over the top and not too much going on. That was an issue I had with the barcode album and Glamour. There's space in these productions, and it's a solid clean sound. It seems this was Dave's priority and he put a lot of thought into the sounds and the backing vocals.
    Take One More Chance - Another one that sounds like a clean Jeff Lynne produced song. (while drafting this, looked back and just saw that @Fortuleo made this comparison too!). I think it would be improved by removing some of the string overdubs... but this is a real nice song. I like this album better than his first two of the 80s, so far.

Oh weird, that link works for me. But it's not listed if you go to Dave's artist page and scroll through the albums/discography! Almost like it's just unlisted! Once I logged in though, it said the content is not available. So it must be a regional thing...

3. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Love Gets You"- It's amazing how a different version of the same song can impact you in opposite ways. The slick album version nearly made me gag, but the later acoustic version that was posted by @DISKOJOE allows you to hear the song in its naked state, and it's so much better because of it. It brings out the Badfinger and even McCartney vibes of the melody. I also like his vocal when he keeps it low and doesn't go for the ear piercing highs that are on the album. Going back and listening to the album version afterwards, and it starts to reveal itself as a nice piece of writing by Dave. The acoustic version would have worked well on a Kinks album.

"Danger Zone"- I cannot help but think of Kenny Loggins when I see this song title. Dave missed his chance to become the Top Gun soundtrack superstar. This is another fairly strong Dave song, even though it's not in my musical zone. The guitar does have a nice crunch and I like the echo on the drums. For my favorite "Danger Zone" you need to visit Too Tough To Die by The Ramones.

"True Story" - This was the most interesting song on my first listen through. Dave is back in space. I like the weird touches of the keyboards, guitar phaser, and the alienesque backing vocals. I have never gotten into ELO, but I can hear the similarities. It also feels the most like a Glamour track.

"Take One More Chance"-
    Good call. When the guitar kicks in, it sounds like we are heading into a Wilbury tune. It definitely has that "Handle With Care" guitar tone. Is this what the Wilbury's would have sounded like if George was replaced by McCartney or Dave? It has more of the saccharine pop stylings of some late 70s or 80s McCartney. The more I listen to this I am even hearing some Michael Jackson in the mix, especially when Dave sings "Take One More Chance". The same type of syrupy ballad that Michael was known to do. Michael and McCartney? and it was released a few months before "Say Say Say"! Dave misses his chance once again.

4. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

One of my favorite albums. Some of Pete’s songs on this remind me of some of Ray’s character sketches, though I do agree that they would not likely have collaborated well together.

5. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Give the People What They Want summation
    I think overall this is a solid album. No stinkers, IMO. The title track is one of the weaker tunes as well as Art Lover, for me. The issue of the drums or general sound is not an issue for me. There are three classics on it - Destroyer, Better Things and Around the Dial. I'd give this album an A-.
    Dave's Chosen People- first 3 songs:
    Tapas
    Nothing much to say about this instrumental. The only small thing is that parts sounds like Jean-Michel Jarre. Not too familiar with this musician, but did used to listen to his Oxygene album which was good.

Charity
    Sounds ok. The sound seems to be better than the last album from Dave. Lyrics are pretty coherent. The music is kind of generic. Doesn't really grab me much...but this is my first listen. And the voice sounds pretty good.

Mean Disposition
    Gotta be about his bro, no? or at least partially. I think Dave knows what Ray thinks by just looking at him. They've said many times there's an almost telepathy between the two which isn't surprising with them being siblings.
    Anyway, I actually played this song twice as I quite liked it. I like the guitar sound and Dave isn't over-singing it. Not bad.

6. Wondergirl

HA! I have a 12" promo of this song. Captain mentions Adam Ant in it and so I HAD To have it, even if he was being a big meanie to Adam. :laugh:

7. Wondergirl

One Night with You
    Dave picked out a great song for him to cover. Really enjoy it! No complaints.

8. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Does your copy have the Good Captain swearing his brains out in the outro?

9. Wondergirl

I don't recollect that, so maybe not. But it could have been a case that I bought and never listened to it as well.

10. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The US liner notes say: "Sadly, Warner Bros. continues to hold Chosen People hostage, refusing repeated requests to license tracks for this CD — or to reissue the album anywhere in the world. 'Love Gets You,' Dave's favorite song from Chosen People, is represented here by his 1997 'unplugged' recording."

But if "Love Gets You" was Dave's favorite song from Chosen People, then why didn't he include it (either version) on the UK version of Unfinished Business?

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Not wanting to derail things but was his passing an OD when he was thought to have been not using?

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  12. All Down The Line

Not necessarily as Ray was nearing 40 and rock was still thought a young man's game in several quarters.
    Five albums on an we may have been in another decade which would have seemed an eternity away for ageing rockers in 1981.

13. All Down The Line

Love Gets You

Pleasant, commercial, repetitive & generic.

14. All Down The Line

True Story

More ambition here and though it's not my bag musically it is interesting even if Dave's had a close encounter of the absurd kind.
    Anyhow kudos to him as he is heavily invested in the topic even though Ray hung up the receiver when asked if their was any room on the next LP!
    P.s. Perhaps Dave inadvertently gave Ray the title for the Kinks next album?

15. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Hey avids, I'm totally swamped and don't have the time to join the song by song on Chosen People. I'll just say quickly that this was my favorite of this batch three Dave albums and Charity is a constant playlist inclusion.

Hopefully things will slow down for me by the time we get to State of Confusion.

16. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Fwiw Chosen People was never released in Canada. I bought my copy in the States.

17. All Down The Line

Take One More Chance

Is Dave channeling Macca at the start, the second line (particularly) and melody remind me of live and let die?
    Some nice yearning here from Dave along with well suited synths/strings is a good workable change.

Konfession: Battling to keep up this last week or so so have only given songs a quick cursory listen amid; Vaccinations, kids party, wife's birthday, gym, voting, kids swimming lessons, kerbside pick up, 10th wedding anniversary, credit card issues, Optus debacle, post flood mould cleaning & miscellaneous shopping!

Edit: Yes I did have a visual comeback for @pyrrhicvictory 's spindle hole comment though the time may have now passed me by as i'd get no kicks on a civil row!

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  18. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

I see your point but respectively disagree in the Kinks and Stones cases. Both bands had released two very strong sellers and in the midst of wildly successful tours.

In '81 it was like both bands had picked up a 2nd or 3rd win and weren't going anywhere soon. Now in the Stones case Undercover's lack of success relative to having a string of #1 albums snapped would change things for a half a decade but in '81 it didn't seem like either band was anywhere close to packing it in.

19. Fischman

In retrospect, it seems the Stones were pretty well spent.... more so than the Kinks. Tattoo You was huge and rightfully got people excited about them.... but it turns out it was mostly 70s leftovers, not all new material like GTPWTW.

20. All Down The Line

Fortunes can change very quickly and as i stated rock was still seen as predominantly a young man's game in "some quarters" as back in 1981 we still thought that time waits for no one and it wasn't on our side!
    N.b. Don't forget that looking into a crystal ball at 5 albums in the future for any group can spell a break up, death or an enormous drop in popular favour!

Wondergirl, DISKOJOE, Steve62 and 3 others like this.
  21. All Down The Line

Seems there is a 60th tour about to begin.......

22. Fischman

Of course. All the boomers with disposable income means there's a market for nostalgia acts. And there really is only one Stones.

But the audience is going to want to hear Satisfaction and Gimme Shelter, and little if anything from the last four decades.

23. Boom Operator

Boom Operator Shake hands with yesterday's tomorrow

Hmmm… I count six.

With or without Animal or the title track, itself, I’ve always considered this to be the Kinks’ incontrovertible swan song.

~Huck

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    Smiler, sharedon, DISKOJOE and 9 others like this.
  24. All Down The Line

Sure as only the diehards want the deep cuts.

25. All Down The Line

I think everyone was talking "regular" studio albums in their count.
    Either way i am a big fan of this release and just wish the vinyl was not so limited and expen$ive!
    Edit: Don't forget the LP The Road!