Van Morrison Album by Album Discussion: Part 1 (1968-1977)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Anyone notice a similarity between the main riff in "Almost Independence Day" and Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here"?

dino77 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  2. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Heh-heh, yeah, I did.

3. Clarkophile

I regret having used the word "dog." I was being a little too cavalier, I think. I meant to say "not as highly regarded"; it was the one I used to see in the used shops all the time that never seemed to get good reviews.

But like I said, I think a critical re-evaluation of HNTH is underway. It should be a healthy discussion next week too.:righton:

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

I love Hard Nose, for me after Independence Day it's the real beginning of his spiritually infused musings and this to Common One is much more interesting to this Van fan than say Moondance thru Dominic...meaning desert island bound I'm grabbing Common One, Veedon Fleece and Hard Nose the Highway over Moondance, Tupelo and Streetchoir...:agree:

Purple Heather might be in my top ten all time van songs. that with Autumn Song and Warm Love, just three killers IMO...

It's also an interesting exclamation point to the end of this period of songwriting...kinda bridges the gap between the 4 we're talking about now and the next batch about to start? It's magically mellow and glorious, something I also like about Veedon Fleece though these are very different from each other. both lovely and mellow.

still Tom is gonna slug me, as we're not ready to talk about Hard Nose The Highway and I'm off and running....:laugh: , but for those that haven't spent time with Hard Nose...there's nothing else quite like it in his cannon, which is more than can be said to his triumphant Dominic's Preview.

Back to Dominic's and Listen To The Lion...seems it's clocking in at the 10 minute mark on the 12" 45 single. sounds to me like the did an early fade. Still the sound on it is quite astonishing, though they also shaved off the first half of the first note of the song...starts during the first guitar strum. amazing how things like this happen to intellectual properties, by the folks who own and control them. Certainly there was room for the last bit of the tune and the first note. but man, this one would sound great on 45rpm vinyl steve....

5. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

St. Dominic

After Astral Weeks this is my next favorite Van Morrison album. It has a good mix of radio friendly songs with hit potential as well as introspective songs.

I like the fold out insert that came with this album. See in my pictures below.

Scott

Attached Files:

6. DJ WILBUR

thats a beautiful thing Scott. Would love to hear an original vinyl pressing on this one at some point soon after hearing Lion on vinyl.

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

This is the proper place in the thread to throw this one in as well. I don't know why it didn't make The Philosopher's Stone. B-side to "Jackie Wilson Says", and a b-side it is - kind of a forced soul sound with lots of Hammond organ and saxes, not much to say lyrically, and a tossed-off performance by the singer.

Attached Files:

• van.jpg
      van.jpg
      File size:
      12.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Clarkophile

Hmm, I don't see "Van-Jan Music" on that label.:shh:

9. Clarkophile

Thanks. I'm not sure I've ever heard this!

10. Any thoughts on this?

11. DJ WILBUR

I've only got the original WB cd on this one, so I cant comment. i have dupes on many of the polydor/wb/mercury years, but not on this title.

12. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

It's very hard for me to comment on this album in a coherent fashion. It's an album that speaks to me in a way very few albums do, even among Van albums.

Rather than itemize the songs, I'll just describe when/how I listen to this album. It's not an album I pull out lightly. It's the album I reach to when stress, anxiety, fear, depression, or any other of the myriad of negative emotions that surround us start to get to me (which, luckily, isn't too often). If possible, I grab St. Dominic's Preview, find a quiet spot (often my car, even in the dead of a northeastern winter), close my eyes and get absorbed. 45 minutes or so later, I can emerge in a better place than where I started. Often I just let it repeat until I'm ready to face the world again.

The first three songs are like an introduction; it's the four that follow that are therapy to me.

It's pure magic. If this were the only album Van ever created, he would still be a legend. :angel:

13. DJ WILBUR

now that was a great share. thanks for that one, i'm going to keep it in mind next time i'm on a flipout...:help:

14. Clarkophile

I dig these kinds of reviews. Tells me a lot more than the "This album sucks"/"I like this album" drive-bys that often occur in A-by-A threads. :righton:

15. DJ WILBUR

oh i managed to find a copy on this song and hmmm, i think I know why it didnt make the Philosophers Stone. thats an amazing group of songs that this one would have marred a tad IMO.

16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

There's a whole bunch of songs that would have made a nice disc 3 of Philospher's Stone:

When I Deliver
    You Move Me
    I Shall Sing
    Grits Ain't Groceries
    Spare Me A Little of Your Love
    Hey Where Are You
    Feedback on Highway 101
    etc...

but I digress...

17. Clarkophile

"I Shall Sing" and "When I Deliver" are Vantastic!:righton:

18. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Don't forget Mechanical Bliss.

19. DJ WILBUR

yeah, we're going to have to bring this into the discussions at the appropriate time, though many won't know it. i've only recently acquired it but havent spent enough time with it as of yet.

20. mfp

mfp Senior Member

"Copycats steal my songs..." :angel:

21. Clarkophile

We may want to discuss Mechanical Bliss during the period between Veedon and APOT, since it was conceived as a '75 release, wasn't it?

22. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Yes I think around the time of Period of Transition. It was started and then scrapped as an ablum project. I just meant as another song for Philosopher's Stone II.
    The song was released as a B side.

23. Clarkophile

Oh, I see. Gotcha now.

24. DJ WILBUR

well still it was alleged to be a release and there are bootlegs cobbling together 10 or so tracks, might want to discuss during A Period of Transition cause I think during that week, tumbleweeds are gonna blow through this thread and it'll be on page 30....(hope thats your album Tom:laugh: )

25. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Scott, thanks for posting those pics, that's exactly what I'm looking for. St Dominic's Preview is my next find-and-needledrop mission. I'll be keeping my eye on ebay for a while....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.