SinatraFamily.com is Shutting Down & Going Offline Aug 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 29, 2021.

1. BluRayVen

BluRayVen Well-Known Member

Personally I thinks it's borderline criminal not to have the discography available on another site before sinatrafamily shut down. They had quite a bit more than Discogs has but the users there, myself included, are adding more everyday. I would go the SF often for references when making a sub on Discogs.

2. ecoutez

ecoutez Forum Resident

Evening all! It's looking more and more unlikely that the information from the forums will be preserved in any meaningful, accessible way. It was full of important documentation and detail worth preserving from a bunch of incredibly well informed participants. Can we look to replicate it here or elsewhere? I learned so much in putting together my FS collection from that resource and feel sad that a new collector will not have access to such wonderful bounty. Also, over time, this information can and will get lost as people move on. Thoughts? PS appreciate people might disagree but the solution for me is not a commercial one like FB, Insta, Twitter etc which lack sufficient depth and are inherently not a long-term solution.

3. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I haven't read the previous pages so I apologize in advance. Is there no way to view the old site and its contents through archive.org? Was the site not complete backed up?

4. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

Nancy Sinatra is pleased to announce that the archives of Sinatrafamily.com will be maintained by Frank Sinatra Enterprises to ensure that fans maintain access to the treasure trove of material that she carefully curated since the site’s launch in 1997. These archives and the associated preservation plans are important to the Sinatra community and to music history. While the website itself will be decommissioned, the contents are safe and the material will be made available in the future at Sinatra.com.
    Sinatra Family Website To Be Archived At Sinatra.com - Frank Sinatra

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's great news...please keep us posted!

6. ecoutez

ecoutez Forum Resident

From almost a year ago. I'm not convinced this material will see the light of day and, if it does, in the same accessible form as it was before. My guess is it's not a huge priority for the family. I sincerely hope I am wrong but we could perhaps do more on this excellent forum to share FS information (especially around sessions, best recordings and so on - the geeky stuff!)

7. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Agreed.

I think Nancy paid a little lip service to make some folks happy… but I agree we’ll not see this archive come to fruition. Shame, too, as it was perhaps the best source of information for any musician ever, even with its flaws.

Bob F likes this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

That’s OLD news from 9 months ago. Hasn’t happened (yet).

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks Bob!

Bob F likes this.
  10. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Just typed in my browser Sinatra family forum, I still can’t get out of the habit,....even 8 months later. :yikes:

11. Bob F

You’re not alone, Tina. Worse is the fact that the links now redirect to a sorry excuse for a Frank Sinatra official website. :(

12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I always liked the real camaraderie of SFF. Yes, it got a bit sycophantic at times but everyone generally treated their fellow members with respect.

13. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Same here. Sad.

14. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Missing the Recordings thread something fierce.

15. JSKC

JSKC Forum Resident

Did anyone manage to archive the Discography/ Sessionography. I’ve checked the WayBack Machine but I can’t find a backup.

MikeF7 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  16. Bob F

From another thread…

JSKC and Sim2 like this.
  17. Bob F

No. The site is still hosted and the fees have been prepaid for a few more years. (This was asked and answered at the SFF before it closed.)

Ridin'High, hodgo, JSKC and 2 others like this.
  18. JSKC

JSKC Forum Resident

If Frank were still alive, all we’d have to do is get word to him and it would be taken care of. It really hasn’t been the same since he died. Everything has become so much harder.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  19. sinatrapicturefan

sinatrapicturefan Forum Resident

I archived all of the material at the old SFF website (sessionographies, song list, album list, etc.) before it went down because I was doubtful about the Sinatra website's promise to host it there. If someone can instruct me how to upload it to this forum (if it is allowed) or to a different shared website, I can do so.

20. sinatrapicturefan

It is truly astounding that an artist of Frank Sinatra's stature does not have a website of even modest quality. There is almost no content regarding him or his career at his official website, let alone a discussion forum. Can they not afford to hire a single employee to add content? I would volunteer for the job if I had the technical skills which I don't.

21. sinatrapicturefan

I have uploaded the SFF archived files (all in pdf format) to dropbox. I have made the folder public for anyone to access/download:

Dropbox - Frank Sinatra Archive - Simplify your life

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  22. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Oh wow :eek:. This is huge! Thank you so much

RSteven and JSKC like this.
  23. JSKC

JSKC Forum Resident

24. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I just don’t understand why Nancy and Tina didn’t just leave the site up, lock all threads, and leave it for fans and researchers. It just didn’t make sense.

25. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Beautiful! Thank you so much!!!