Deep Discount deep discounts*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Marvin, May 9, 2016.

1. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

The "tombstone" Paura LP is listed separately on dd for $152, so presumably just the basic 2LP splatter version.

latheofheaven, jason202 and hutlock like this.
  2. Comicsanstombstone

CraigVC, latheofheaven and hutlock like this.
  3. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Oh well, at least it will be easier to find a place to store it!

4. Comicsanstombstone

There's the second Ro-D-ys LP, for those who ordered the first. Tim Buckley S/T on gold vinyl for $8. Few King Gizzard and the etc etc LPs. Dubstar 12" for $6. AOR Global Sounds vol 5 CD (better than it sounds!) for $7.

5. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

All three of my Duruttis came warped with distorted vocals on the inner grooves. Yes, my turntable is setup well.

latheofheaven likes this.
  6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Oooooof. Hoping for the best on mine…

7. hutlock

8. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

i went to the post office today and it looks like it will be delivered today. I recently moved and apparently this situation isn’t uncommon for some packages. It should be there when I get home tonight…. Crossing my fingers.

9. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

It's funny, at $7 a pop, the Durutti lps would normally be a no brainer. But looking at the flimsy cover, garish colored vinyl and rubbish sound quality, it has me pining for the cd versions instead.

latheofheaven and hutlock like this.
  10. throwupmyhands

throwupmyhands Forum Resident

I'm happy to report that I got a shipping alert for this LP. I had seen the deal on here earlier in the day yesterday, and then put it off to try to build a larger shipment. Got distracted. Then saw it was posted on Reddit and everyone was biting. Thought I'd missed the opportunity. Rushed back and ordered with just the one item, and I'm glad to say I wasn't too late.

11. hutlock

12. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I grabbed all these earlier today. I added brief notes at the end of each item, marked with "<--" to help y'all see what was interesting to me about each one.

5014797905177 Black Francis - Abbabubba [Limited 180-Gram Black & White Split Colored Vinyl] [Import] LP $8.26 <-- a.k.a. Frank Black of the Pixies
    4040824089122 Albergo Intergalattico Spaziale - Albergo Intergalattico Spaziale [Import] LP $11.82 <-- reissue of 1978 prog rock / experimental album; per Discogs: "Italian experimental duo of Giacomo "Mino" Di Martino (formerly with I Giganti) and his wife Terra Di Benedetto (a 1960s pop singer)."
    9341004080935 Archie Roach - Creation [Boxset] [Import] 6xLP (Additional shipping charge applies - 3.92 lbs) $52.54 <-- 140 gram LP box set from Australian singer songwriter
    8719262017009 Jan Akkerman & Kaz Lux - Eli [Limited 180-Gram Gold Colored Vinyl] [Import] LP $8.80 <-- reissue of 1976 jazz / rock album; Akkerman is Dutch guitarist, and Lux is Dutch blues singer
    8719262018174 The Soundtrack of Our Lives - Extended Revelation For The Psychic Weaklings Of [Limited Gatefold, 180-Gram Silver Colored Vinyl] [Import] 2xLP $10.82 <-- reissue of 1998 2nd album from this band
    2999999082822 Various Artists - Glastonbury Fayre Festival / Various [Colored Vinyl] [Import] 3xLP (Additional shipping charge may apply - 2.19 lbs) $25.53 <-- reissue of this weirdly compiled 1972 triple-LP, with 3 of the 6 sides live and studio tracks _not_ from Glastonbury Fayre
    5053760075769 Various Artists - Home Vol 1 / Various [Import] 2xLP $10.83 <-- RE:WARM records compilation that is well-sequenced combination of field recordings and ambient / gentle songs (I enjoyed listening to it on Qobuz earlier today)
    8719262021150 Flamin Groovies - Jumpin In The Night [180-Gram Black Vinyl] [Import] LP $9.85 <-- reissue of 1979 album
    5053760079002 Sugar Horse - Live Long After [Import] 2xLP $8.15 <-- double-LP from band described on Discogs as "rock, doom, doomgaze, shoegaze band from Bristol, UK"
    762184749525 Teenage Waitress - Love & Chemicals [Import] LP $7.62 <-- I thought this was Daniel Ash from Bauhaus and Love & Rockets, but nope it turns out its some other Daniel Ash - Teenage Waitress - so I'll give it a blind listen!
    789993991273 African Roots Of Jazz - More Energy Fields Current [Limited Colored Vinyl] [Import] LP $12.05 <-- Deep Discount says the artist is "African Roots Of Jazz" but cover art and label, etc. all match to Discogs as "Carlos Niño & Friends"
    196292315394 William Barton & Halfway - Restless Dream [Import] LP $16.59 <-- listed on Discogs as "Bob Weatherall & Halfway" (cover adds: "with William Barton"); I sampled it on Qobuz and liked it; Australia release and Discogs says genres are "Folk, World, & Country"
    602508945274 The Solution - Solution [Limited 180-Gram Orange Colored Vinyl] [Import] LP $9.02 <-- Deep Discount's description was all I needed to buy this one without a preview listen: "Solution were a Dutch rock band that were active from 1970 to 1983, with an additional reunion taking place in 2006. Solution is their impressive self-titled debut album, which was recorded over just three consecutive days in 1971. Blending psychedelic and prog with jazz, Solution created a unique sound."
    8719262018860 Tim Buckley - Tim Buckley [Limited 180-Gram Gold Colored Vinyl] [Import] LP $8.12 <-- reissue of first album from 1966
    9324690171286 Friends of David McComb - Truckload Of Sky: The Lost Songs Of David Mccomb Vol 1 / Various [Import] LP $11.68 <-- Facebook page says "The friends of David McComb present Truckload Of Sky - an album of songs written by David that you've probably never heard."; McComb was "singer of Australian band The Triffids," and died in 1999
    Promo Code: PLUNGE ($21.17)
    Standard Shipping $6.98
    Today's Order $197.49

13. georgepearrison

georgepearrison Long Time Lurker

I was able to restrain myself from dipping in the blowout bin of doom for a while, but here I am. King gizzard and Slowdive broke me. Also got The Solution- Self titled, which I checked out due to the description above (cheers). The description of their music is pretty accurate.

I was able to show some self control and only got:
    The Solution-Solution [Limited 180-Gram Orange Colored Vinyl] $9.02
    Slowdive-Holding Our Breath [Limited 180-Gram 'Flaming' Orange Colored Vinyl EP] $8.15
    King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard-Live In London 19 [Limited 'Random Marble' Colored Vinyl] $14.90
    Total after PLUNGE coupon: $28.86 w/free shipping

14. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Nice King Gizzard finds. I saw several titles this morning. I really like what I've heard of the band and have a couple releases but have not gone down that rabbit hole. Perhaps if those were in last week's DDBB drop I'd have gone for them but this time I showed minor restraint.

First order...

07-11 [Limited Edition 9CD Boxset With Signed Print] [Import]
    Black Francis
    CD (Additional shipping charge may apply - 2.75 lbs)
    1 $32.64 $32.64
    Distortion: 1996-2007 [Signed 140-Gram Clear Splatter Vinyl] [Import]
    Bob Mould
    LP (Additional shipping charge applies - 6.53 lbs)
    1 $59.70 $59.70
    Live White Horses [Import]
    Heather Findlay
    CD
    1 $5.63 $5.63
    Subtotal
    Standard Shipping
    Sales Tax
    Total 3
    7.75%
    $97.97
    $9.98
    $8.37
    $116.32

I was on the fence about this second Bob Mould vinyl box but when I decided to order the Black Francis CDs, all bets were off and I couldn't resist. I have the first vinyl box and thought that is all I need. Famous last words. Heather Findlay is probably best known for her work in the UK prog band Mostly Autumn if that might be of interest to someone if you are into that sort of thing.

Then I spied a post above which mentioned some Clannad vinyl.

Abbabubba [Limited 180-Gram Black & White Split Colored Vinyl] [Import]
    Black Francis
    LP
    1 $8.26 $8.26
    Cran Uil [Import]
    Clannad
    LP
    1 $9.27 $9.27
    Fuaim [Remastered] [Import]
    Clannad
    LP
    1 $9.31 $9.31
    Subtotal
    Standard Shipping
    Sales Tax
    Total 3
    7.75%
    $26.84
    $0.00
    $2.08
    $28.92

Added Black Francis vinyl to get free shipping.

Good times!

15. throwingthings

throwingthings Well-Known Member

If anyone's not feeling the Durutti Column's Someone Else's Party or Love in the Time of Recession, I'd be glad to take them off your hands for $10/ea... Don't mind a slight warp as long as they track.

hutlock and latheofheaven like this.
  16. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

aw would've liked these but now they're both gone

17. DapperGentleman

DapperGentleman Forum Resident

This is NOT a Deep Discount post, but a "Durutti Column + shoegaze rock post", which seem to be popular amongst us.

I keep forgetting about Darla Records (the distributor). They handle some of my favorite labels here in the USA, like Elefant, and I love much of what they put out. They must market somehow but I rarely see anything from them.

They are offering the new 2LP Durutti Column 'Fidelity' reissue for $27, the latest Lightning In A Twilight Hour on Elefant, the reissue of the first Tears Run Rings on vinyl for the first time, and several Autumn Lull titles, amongst a lot of other stuff. I have attached my receipt to show that taxes seem reasonable and shipping is too. That $9.52 USA shipping is for Priority Mail, not Media.

So, you might check them out, especially for the Durutti Column. It's limited to 500 copies supposedly, and neither Deep Discount or Amazon is offering it.

[​IMG]

jamesc, hutlock, aperfecttool and 3 others like this.
  18. throwingthings

throwingthings Well-Known Member

Fidelity features the gorgeous "Future Perfect," maybe my second favorite Durutti Column track behind "Otis" on Vini Reilly. Such a lovely tune.

19. hutlock

Oh cool. The Darla folks are really cool, happy to give them my money!

jamesc and latheofheaven like this.
  20. popscene

popscene Senior Member

21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

You bastards! I'm not usually crazy about modern vinyl but couldn't resist the super cheap colored vinyl Slowdive 12" singles that were posted. Of course, those two were like a gateway drug so now I'm seeking out the rest at full price! MOV did a nice job with them.

hutlock, popscene and latheofheaven like this.
  22. hutlock

It may help to know that ALL of them were in the Deep Discount Bargain Bin several months back. All had sold out except the remix 12” but then Holding Our Breath somehow came back again this last week. So who knows, maybe the others will show up again as well?

jamesc and latheofheaven like this.
  23. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I'll have to keep a closer eye on this thread! Those are very nice for those prices. I probably would have bought them when they were released if they were closer to $20 but I thought $34 was way too much when we grew up with $4.98 12" singles.

24. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Not sure why USPS is making deliveries on a national holiday, but this assortment arrived today, and all seems well. The Tsew the Kid is a cigarbox-sized package, so I expect it's got the extras inside.

I can't find it on Discogs (searching via Barcode), but one of my local record stores has it for $47, so I guess I did alright for $10.46.
    Tsew The Kid - Ayna [Limited Edition] (Fra) | jackpotrecords

[​IMG]

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Another virtual crate-diving session into the Blowout Bin yielded the following:

• 844667051889 Eboni Band - Eboni Band [Import] LP $13.61 <-- From Bandcamp page: "Motown meets West Africa on Eboni Band's self-titled 1980 debut album featuring Motown session musicians and Fred Wesley with production and arrangements from Motown legends Art Stewart and Greg Middleton." Label: We Are Busy Bodies
    • 602508917844 Brainbox - Parts [Limited 180-Gram Yellow Colored Vinyl] [Import] LP $9.14 <-- Reissue of a Dutch band's 1972 album; genre styles on Discogs say "Psychedelic Rock, Prog Rock" Brainbox - Parts Label: Music On Vinyl
    • 767981178011 The Knitters - Poor Little Critter On The Road LP $7.45 <-- DD Description: "It's been 37 years since the release of Poor Little Critter on the Road, the debut album from The Knitters, the original Alt-Country band comprised of three members of X, one Blaster and a Red Devil." Label: Fat Possum Records
    • 020286236498 Bogie Band - The Prophets In The City LP $8.03 <-- From Bandcamp page: "The Bogie Band featuring Joe Russo is a new collaboration between old friends. Stuart Bogie's fiery arrangements meet Russo's dynamic drumming with a ten-piece ensemble utilizing only wind and percussion instruments." Label: Royal Potato
    • 793888003415 Tre Burt - You Yeah You LP $5.56 <-- From Bandcamp page: "Like his late label mate and songwriting hero John Prine, Burt showcases his poet's eye for detail, surgeon's sense of narrative precision, and his songwriters' ability to transpose observation into affecting verse." Label: Oh Boy