Ozark (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dmiller458, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

When I work with a director and dare to bring something like this up, they usually shrug and say, "you know, that was debated in the writers' room, but we decided not to spoon-feed the audience and instead opted to make them fill in the blanks." They generally want to avoid exposition when they can. In this case, to me it seemed like a lapse.

On the other hand, Darlene didn't have a lot of guards hanging around her place... with tragic results. And yet with Omar Navarro, he always, always had a few guys lurking in the background. Well, except for prison and being transported from prison.

BTW, the various critics out there agree with you that the ending was not that satisfying. I think the shock -- and maybe the central difference between this show and Breaking Bad -- was that the Byrd's kids had no problem joining in with their crimes. Maybe that's winning and losing, simultaneously.

Didn't see the connection. I need complete sentences, or I can't figure out the references. The point I was trying to make is how and why the writers bend logic to suit story purposes. The good ones will laugh and say, "yeah, it is a bit of a stretch, and it kind of makes no sense, but it makes the show work." And even in comic books (and fantasy and science fiction), there is an attempt to create a sense of logic and continuity so the story and characters work. The moment you start moving outside the lines, the readers will complain.

mrjinks and captouch like this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident Thread Starter

A guy gets blinded by toxic waste, but it gave him superpowers? I don't hear that origin story and look for a sense of logic.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Good interview with Jason Bateman, who reveals a few things about their thought process on the ending of Ozark:

Jason Bateman on 'Ozark' Finale and Moving Forward With Directing - Variety

I was surprised to learn that nothing was planned for the final season, and they completely came up with the ending on-the-fly, from scratch. I figured everything had been meticulously plotted out for years, but nope... that's not how they worked.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Yeah. Not surprising. It’s pretty much what it appears to be unfortunately.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Bateman made one very interesting remark: he said it would be hard for them to sustain another season, since if the Byrde family kept going another year, they'd wind up dead or in prison or both.

6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Seasons 3 and 4 definitely had the feel of them being written on the fly.

7. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Either way would at least be a true ending to their story.

8. dmiller458

Well, I predicted that Marty would've ended up running the cartel under FBI supervision. So there's more possibilities.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Finally finished this series (been entangled in Jimmy McGills world).

They killed my Ruthie. damn them.

I knew that cookie jar would hang them. But now the moral is...the legact continues. Kids are just like their parents. I think the son was always weird with the dead animal thing.

Good ending imo. Even Ruthie.

Scott57 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I beg to differ. They were bootlegging whiskey. What do you think "Half-Pint" was code for? Duh.

;)

Scotian and dmiller458 like this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Nice of you to give part of the ending away for those that haven't seen the final episode :rolleyes:. Glad I've already watched it.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I didn't have any issues with the ending, or the final season (although I did feel that the Byrds somehow escaped being taken out by somebody in the cartel, but can overlook that). The final scene cliffhanger? No problems with that at all. Leaves you guessing and I've watched plenty of European cinema over the years to know you're often left with an inconclusive conclusion instead of a neat ending.

13. If anyone hasn't watched it by now it's on them to avoid spoilers. Besides, anyone that is still watching a show and goes looking for threads to read about the latest season deserves to be spoiled. It's why I haven't read the Better Call Saul thread yet...I'm not caught up and don't want to see spoilers.

Pete Puma and Bungo like this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I totally disagree. Just because the Ozark series is finished that doesn't mean that everyone has watched the final episode or the final season. Also disagree that it's "on them" to avoid spoilers. Deserve to be "spoiled" :rolleyes:? So do you go out of you way to "spoil" it for other members? Just curious because if you do I'll make sure to put you on ignore.

Why do you think members in this thread and other TV/movie threads use the "spoiler" alert feature? Simple answer because it's a common courtesy to do so if they are discussing episode, series or movie ending information.

DementedAvenger and dmiller458 like this.
  15. I haven't posted any spoilers in this thread or any others. With that said, I don't have any problem calling out entitlement when I see it. It's amazing to me that anyone would whine about possibly seeing a spoiler for a series that came out over a month ago. Again, if you're worried about having the end of a series spoiled than perhaps YOU shouldn't be eyeballs deep in a thread dedicated to said series. It's called personal responsibility. Try it sometime.

And btw, I couldn't possibly care less if I tried if you put me on your ignore list. Knock yourself out pal lol

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Entitlement :rolleyes:? Since when is common courtesy "entitlement"? Maybe you should try that sometime slick ;).

dmiller458 likes this.
  17. dmiller458

You think you're entitled to common courtesy? :)

Bill Mac likes this.
  18. dmiller458

"I care so little that I want to make sure everyone on the forum knows it."

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not really but when someone does show you common courtesy it does go a long way :).

dmiller458 likes this.
  20. Not everyone, just you. I'm happy to know that you, out of everyone on this forum, noticed. Thank you so much! You have no idea how much this means to me, that you took the time to personally respond to my post. Thank you SO MUCH!!! It has made my day. No, it has made my week. No, it has made my entire month! Kudos to you kind sir, kudos.

dmiller458 likes this.
  21. Yes, entitlement. You feel that you should be able to read any thread you wish, in a forum dedicated to film and television, without any threat of seeing a spoiler for any film or series you may be interested in watching. I on the other hand, believe that if one doesn't want to read a spoiler than one shouldn't be reading threads on a series or film they have yet to watch. I'm not entirely sure why that is so hard to grasp, though I strongly believe it involves feelings of entitlement.

22. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Well get to it already!
    What episode (s) have you seen?
    I find that it's pretty easy to stay current with that show as one episode airs a week.
    Sure you can hit spoilers when you haven't seen the episode, but when you get caught up it's the speculation on what happens next that is interesting, and confounding because the show runners like to keep the audience guessing.

23. We haven't watched any of of the latest season. We've been catching up on several other shows. To be safe I'm going to stay out of the Better Call Saul thread completely. Once we finish I'll read the thread.

I do agree that reading a thread when a show airs weekly is a lot of fun. But if you fall behind and aren't up to date you're going to run into spoilers, it's just the nature of those threads. It's why I avoid those threads if I'm not current.

Scotian and rockclassics like this.
  24. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

You have roughly 6 weeks to catch up as the show is on hiatus until July 11th.
    Binging ep1 thru 7 shouldn't take all that long.

Brett44 likes this.
  25. dmiller458

Common courtesy ended with the rise of social media. "Kwit living in duh passed" said the guy with the Beatles avatar.

ubiknik and Bill Mac like this.