Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I saw the 75 tour in LA also. Not the first night of weirdness. But somebody passed a joint down the row in front of me and the cops literally arrested the entire row.

I remember buying a tour book for the show. Except it was a comic book. I think David G. was shown in a dialog bubble as noting that the band is extremely lazy....

2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

As they were singing: “You can’t always git what you want”. Misspelling is intentional.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  3. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

So many Roger rants, so little time.

4. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Apologies in advance for reviving a thorny subject - but as for the absence of releasable recordings from the 1977 In the Flesh Tour . . . When you consider the crappy sounding bootleg recordings from 1970-1972 that Pink Floyd officially released through streaming services earlier this year, it's hard for me to take Nick Mason's claims seriously. While none of the shows on that tour were recorded to multitrack, they did record every show on a Nakamichi cassette deck. And anyone who has heard the Led Zeppelin soundboard recordings from the same period knows that a cassette soundboard tape can sound pretty darn good. And they were playing large venues on that tour, so a recording of the PA mix should have been pretty well balnced, unlike soundboard reocrdings of concerns at small venues, where much of the sound comes from stage amps. While it seems pretty clear at this point that the Animals reissue will not include any live recordings, why can't they simply release the best recording they have through the streaming services? And if they don't have anything that beats the Oakland audience recording, why not just release that?

St. Troy, NunoBento, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  5. MaggotBrain_71

MaggotBrain_71 Well-Known Member

Re: the Oakland recording, why release it if it's already been available for YEARS in pretty much great quality? Who would pay for that? If you want to I will gladly sell you a transfer of my 1st gen tape for $100.

PDK, ODShowtime and Larry Schmidt like this.
  6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Does it come with marbles?

7. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

www.archive.org/details/PinkFloyd1975TourComicBook/mode/2up

[​IMG]

8. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

9. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

@Cool hand luke You're Rick Wright's favourite film ;)

Also, I have that comic rag, it was reproduced and packaged with an issue of RollingStone. The pages are out of order though. Every band member got a double-page "story" which is quite amusing. Especially Rich Right - he's rich and he's right!

And there was also one of Gerald Scarfe's first works for the band in form of an extremely exaggerated caricature of the band.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    childerikov, St. Troy, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  10. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

No,. but it does come with a Scarf(e)....

11. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I notice right above that his favorite food is boiled eggs, I wonder how many he can eat!

12. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

If none of these live recordings are released then it will be pretty clear that Gilmour doesn't think that they're up to his standards.

Charlie Z. likes this.
  14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

To my knowledge, these were not recordings from the desk, but open air mic recordings.

But apart from that i agree with your sentiment.

rontoon likes this.
  15. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Page 245 - kiss that SACD release goodbye

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

?

17. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

<<To my knowledge, these were not recordings from the desk, but open air mic recordings. But apart from that i agree with your sentiment.>>

Open air mic recordings - at leasat one with high quality microphones positioned on stands at the mixing desk - should still sound pretty good - certainly on par with, if not better than, the best audience recordings of Pink Floyd from that era. Even if Dave, Nick and Roger don't think these recordings are good enough to include with the Animals reissue, having previously authorized the digital release of bootleg recordings, I can't see why they would object to a digital-only release of at least one of the open air recordings.

D-rock and JulesRules like this.
  18. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I get it. But then again, Gilmour didn't block the release of the bootleg recordings from 1970-1972.

D-rock likes this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Different animal altogether and those "boots" were not released under Pink Floyd Records.

Larry Schmidt likes this.
  20. tgdon'tmind

tgdon'tmind Lord, Here Comes The Flood

Does anyone think there are any recordings, open air or otherwise, that haven't already circulated? Do we know for a fact that the band has tapes, soundboard or otherwise?

D-rock likes this.
  21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

If they had a soundboard recording good enough to give all those bootlegs a retirement, then the release is worth the money

Beyond Salvation and D-rock like this.
  22. Hollowsanctuary

Hollowsanctuary Aujourd’hui, je dis bonjour à la vie

weren’t those just copyright releases…meaning it’s been over 50 years so in the public domain?

Also, can we stop the marble jokes? It was funny the first 500 times I heard it or so..I get it, nobody wants the damn marbles. I’ve lost mine apparently if I start arguing on the internets again…

23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I want to keep my marbles. Thanks.

kevin5brown and Rooster_Ties like this.
  24. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Did anyone see my last marble
    As it rolled out and over the floor?
    It fell through a hole in the corner...

St. Troy and Joe McKee like this.
  25. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Cops at a show, now that is weird. In fifty years of concert going I've seen that happen once. June 10 1982 local radio had announced "The Rolling Stones" would be playing a show at the Liverpool Empire under the guise of "Freddie McGreggor and the Studio One Band". It wasn't the "Rolling Stones", "Freddie McGreggor" it was (a Reggae act from Jamaica). A few Cops hung around the back of the Theatre for about firteen/ twenty mins in case there was trouble then left.