kallax (vinyl storage) knockoffs 50-70% off in store at Target. YMMV

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Gene Parmesan, May 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Spotted here.

You can see if any of your local stores have them by searching for 'brightroom cube' at Target.com.

2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Score! I’m about to move into a new apartment and these will DEFINITELY come in handy! Thanks for the tip @Gene Parmesan!

Gene Parmesan likes this.
  3. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

The 9-cube version is just $50! I was going to invest in the big Kallax shelf, but we don't have a car big enough to transport it, and shipping from Ikea is ridiculous. This will be a nice stopgap, combined with the Foremost cubes I already have. Thanks for sharing!

hutlock likes this.
  4. runofthemill

runofthemill Forum Resident

I was able to order online at the discount and get free shipping. Nice!

jason202, oldjollymon and hutlock like this.
  5. U2Achtung1

U2Achtung1 Forum Resident

I got the 4, but wondering if I should return and get the 6. I'd want to put it vertical though, I think it's meant to be horizontal though? I wouldn't put records in the top two shelves, wanted it for other stuff. Hmm. They also have single cubes for $11 - could probably stack that on top of the 4 in the middle or something.

6. hutlock

They can go either vertical or horizontal, but they don’t recommend that you stack them. Hope that helps!

Gene Parmesan likes this.
  7. cyngus

cyngus Forum Resident

Looks cool. Ordered the 9 cube. Thanks OP

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  8. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

Thank you OP for sharing!

Has anyone installed them yet and stacked them up with 12" records without any issues? I read a few reviews on the Target item page and they kind of scared me but it could very well be "user error" hence wanted to confirm before purchasing. One of them says "the vinyl records wouldn't fit vertically and have to stack them slanted"; another one says "the cube shelves collapsed after a few days of usage"!!

9. Rmbottojr

Rmbottojr Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing

10. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I bought TWO of the 6 cube shelves, but have yet to assemble them, so I can't report on the quality/sturdiness, BUT...please consider the likely audience reporting about issues when using them for their "vinyls". The under 40 crowd these days more than likely doesn't even own a tool box, let alone the proper tools or experience needed to assemble things like furniture. When my girlfriend moved into her very first apartment at age 21, she hung her new curtain rod with a hammer and nails. They may be using butter knives as screwdrivers!

Davidmk5 and hutlock like this.
  11. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I saw a picture of one of these (the 4x4 model) holding records, so they should fit. I think the interior dimensions are around 13x13.

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Thanks for the heads up. Got a the 9 cube for the lady and 6 cube for me at half off. And was able to grab a Dicks Picks vol 23;)

13. U2Achtung1

Yeah an article came out that Target has too much inventory in certain departments, like home products. I wonder if there will be even bigger sales on these things. And maybe vinyl.

hutlock likes this.
  14. hutlock

They have been clearing out dead stock LPs regularly every six months or so but it usually is only 5 or 6 titles at a time. Would love a bigger blowout for sure.

15. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

The local Target has at least 20 shipping containers sitting in their parking lot.
    Man, I hope there aren’t boxes of albums cooking in them.

16. hype

hype Forum Resident

Personally, with plywood coming back to at least reasonable prices lately i'd highly recommend buying a sheet and applying it to the back for extra support plus it will stop dust and anything else from coming in through the back (one 4'x8' sheet will do both a 6 and 9 cube which is what I bought for temp. storage). I'm going a bit above and beyond and securing it low and high to wall studs as well. Then lastly, since I have scraps anyways i'm adding perfect fitting pieces of wood in the back of each cube as a backer to keep the records close to being almost flush with the front opening while also being extra support. You could easily use a ton of different things instead or just not do it as it's purely preference.

Also, to your question you should absolutely NOT use them vertically for vinyl as that's pretty much how most "disaster stories" are setup and there is much less support so you're just asking for problems at some point. There are some versions of these that are only 12" cubes versus 13" so i'm pretty sure that's probably where you saw people complaining about vinyl not fitting vertically.

These will work great imo if you treat them right but there's obviously a reason why they are so cheap.

Here's someone I saw in the reviews with them setup to give you a better idea..
    [​IMG]

17. U2Achtung1

I put a 6 vertical, but would only use the lower 4 cubes for records. The top 2 I bought the fabric bins to put some other stuff in which I needed as well.

I have two of the IKEA Kallax 4's, so that's 8... but I filled those. I bought one of the $20 ones with only 2 cubes, that I could use if needed.

hutlock likes this.
  18. PatBateman86

PatBateman86 Forum Resident

I bought a 4 cube version of the Target shelving. Considering that at $30 it presents a great value compared to a crate that can cost up to $25-35 in a record store. Upon assembly i managed to strip the last screw that is pretty much butter soft. Be gentle installing them! I bought the black oak version ans the grain looks nice. Too bad about that pesky screw!

hutlock and Davidmk5 like this.
  19. hutlock

Bummer! I have definitely done that before with other Target furniture. Wish they would include an extra screw or two just to be safe…

20. PatBateman86

PatBateman86 Forum Resident

I jammed a dowel in place of the stripped screw. So i’m able to use the shelf lol.

hutlock likes this.
  21. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I use one of these for some of my LP storage and am thinking about grabbing another. I have a 2x3 horizontally. The shelves on these are actually more secure that way, unlike the kallax. I screwed/glued some dowels onto the back of each shelf to prevent LPs from falling out the back, but I think plywood would have been better. If I go for another, plywood it’ll be. Extremely tempting at these prices. Not even sure where I’d put more LP storage but hard to beat the amount of storage space for these prices!

hutlock likes this.
  22. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

If you get the 2x2, rotate it 90 degrees so the single middle panel is what your records sit on. Even with something this small, don’t let the cheap wood dowels do the supporting.

oldjollymon and Fred Dender like this.
  23. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I got the 3x3. It was very easy to assemble and everything fit together surprisingly well. It integrates pretty well with all the Foremost cubes I've bought over the years. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing setup, but for $50 it's hard to complain. I plan on cutting some strips of cardboard from record store mailers to use as spacers in the back.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.