Jurassic World - Dominion - June 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

why do you think that?

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

wish I had his career - upcoming movies Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and others......

Chris Pratt - IMDb

3. Michael

I like Chris!

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to it.

[​IMG]

5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Well, according to this analysis, it wasn't much bigger (e.g. longer).

[​IMG]

T-Rex was bigger (e.g. heavier).

[​IMG]

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife is excited about seeing the new one, but I have to confess I don't remember anything about the most recent ones, the experience passed from my eyes and ears through my brain and didn't leave any footprints at all.

The thing about the new trailer is that it has giant lizards running around in the snow. If these are cold-blooded reptiles, the only thing they would do in the snow is lie down and stop moving.

And of course, after the first one where an all female population somehow managed to spontaneously become male...

The last time I saw the original Jurassic Park in a movie theater was at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library. This was during SIGGRAPH, the annual computer graphics industry conference. Industrial Light and Magic had done all the groundbreaking computer graphics work for the movie, and celebrated by throwing a huge party.

I had not been invited, and in fact it was the hardest ticket to get. I even saw legends of computer graphics like Dr Jim Blinn nearly refused admission. I had been hanging around the hotel, not having anything to do that evening, and this one guy asked me "do you have a car?" I replied that I didn't, and we hung around talking, while he asked other people - cuz he knew where this great party was. Finally, he found somebody who had a van and we all headed out to Loma Linda. The whole place was packed, there was a long line to get in, and it didn't look like any of us were going to get in. Finally the guy walked around the entire outside of the library space, came back and our group of six all walked through the kitchen entrance, showing nothing but our conference badges of which represented absolutely boo.

We wound up walking through the kitchen, and the band Green room. The bands that night, performing in the lower level of the presidential library, were Fishbone and Red Hot Chili Peppers and the MC was Timothy Leary. We agreed to meet up in the Rose Garden every hour to see when we wanted to head back to the hotel, and it all worked out wonderfully.

Anyway, the auditorium at the library was showing the movie.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    Ghostworld, lbangs and enro99 like this.
  7. DPM

DPM Senior Member

The general consensus these days is that dinosaurs probably weren't cold-blooded the way modern reptiles are. Here's a link to a study using dinosaur fossil egg shells to ascertain their cold vs warm bloodedness.

Were dinosaurs warm blooded? Their eggshells say yes | The Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences

8. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

9. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

10. Michael

for me the T-Rex is the star of the franchise...my favorite Dinosaur since I became aware of them many years ago.

Linger63 likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The trailer for this looks good.

12. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Chris, not that the screen writers would (necessarily?) care, but a consensus is emerging among paleontologists that most dinosaurs were warm-blooded: Did dinosaur blood run warm or cold? New study aims to settle the debate - CNN

I can't remember which science program brought this to my attention (I too was under the impression that they were all/mostly cold-blooded), but it is probably the recent NOVA episode which has explored the fossil finds associated with the asteroid impact of the coast of the Yucatan peninsula, about 66 million years ago.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I mean, it's the poster-boy of the franchise, but the star was always velociraptor.

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

to you, to me it was always the T-REX! Indeed the raptors are really cool and they are hugging top billing in these last few JP movies...

15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Even in the first movie, it was highlighted a bit more I think, with the opening scene kill, the subsequent human-hunting scenes, and the Alan Grant lecture at the paleontology dig site about raptors. But yeah, TRex is kind of "the ultimate" dino.

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

Rex has been my favorite since my youngster days...I had models, toy figures and I am still looking for a special T-Rex toy that I never found again. I had it in 1962? it was a 2 foot+ tall T-Rex model that you first built the skeleton then used rolls of cut thick "cloth like" material you would drenched in plaster of paris and layer it over the skeleton to make the body...I painted it green...hopefully someday I will find some info on this special toy-model.

17. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

This film opened a couple of days ago and I'm thinking of going today. Are there any mid-credits / post-credits scenes?

18. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

This is because when they sequenced the Dinosaur DNA it wasn't complete enough for them to successfully create the dinosaurs in a lab. To complete the DNA strain the scientists used frog DNA as it was determined frogs are the closest to the dinosaur. It turned out later on however that type of frog could spontaneously change sex, because "Nature finds a way".

Healthy frogs can mysteriously reverse their sex

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. There is some doubt that dinosaurs were cold blooded reptiles. A current popular scientific theory is that they were warm blooded with a physiological construct closer to birds.

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think of it as a simple surface area to body mass ratio. Most reptiles are small, have a very high surface area relative to body mass. As size increases, animals have more resistance to cold and also have higher metabolism.

21. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Yikes---Claire survives the airplane crash but is stuck in a tree with a giant Therizinosaurus nearby.

[​IMG]

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Mixed reviews, but it looks like they came up with so many clever bits for this I have to see it.

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Critic reviews are rolling in and it's not good: 38% on RT (148 reviews compiled to date).

Jurassic World Dominion

The film seems hellbent on demonstrating just how out of gas it is.

An insecure movie that is awkwardly searching for approval from the audience and from Spielberg, one of the film’s executive producers.

A talky dino-bore. Near the beginning of the film Dern’s character Ellie sees a small dinosaur and coos, “this never gets old.” She clearly hasn’t seen Jurassic World Dominion.

The supermarket sweep approach to blockbuster filmmaking reaches its horrible apotheosis — Jurassic World: Fast and Furiosaurus.

There’s not a single moment of genuine dread, fear or even mild unease.

and so on......

Stormrider77, lbangs and unclefred like this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, that sounds like every superhero movie made these days, and those make most of the money. So I suppose that's no coincidence.

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

Saw this last night - wife and I were very disappointed. May be the worst of the 6