Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

They always say that stuff as if inflation isn’t real. Adjusted for inflation the original Top Gun really did make close to a billion in today’s dollars. According to box office mojo, Maverick has only made $550 million worldwide so far. It’s going to be out of theaters before it has a chance to equal the success of the first film.

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

It's very possible that the new Jurassic film will limit the Top Gun 2 run

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

4. SandAndGlass

Doubtful...

They will continue to run these horses for all they are worth.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Hard to tell how much Jurassic might affect TG but assuming a 50% drawdown in box office after week 2 is complete on Thursday it should finish close to $450 million domestic. At 45% its $478 million.

The foreign number is running about 85% of the domestic, let's say $380 to $410 million. South Korea is the only foreign market left to open.

I think it gets close to $900 million, that's my guess.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

unclefred and Boom Operator like this.
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Boom Operator likes this.
  8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'm only judging by the trailer but that Black Adam film looks dreadful. I'm predicting a flop.

9. Vidiot

Wow, that's much worse than I would've have expected. I think Universal had very high hopes for Jurassic Park: Dominion for the summer in terms of box office. And the trailers looked pretty good.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

The Rock in his first superhero ( M or DC) film , will do fine at the Box Office.

11. brucewayneofgotham

12. brucewayneofgotham

13. brucewayneofgotham

14. brucewayneofgotham

these 2 are the best, amazing people can earn a "good living" reviewing things on YouTube

15. SandAndGlass

Not really unexpected. None of the JP movies were exceptional after the original. Some did have some high points but mostly they were pretty lame overall.

But, JP is like Godzilla movies to the Japanese. They both will endure and flourish, despite their stupid plot lines.

I really don't think that anyone at Universal needs to feel any disappointment. It is summer and summertime is the time where dinosaurs rule!

Nobody gives a crap about the professional reviews. No one is under any delusion that this next JP is going to be any thing exceptional. None of the others are. Everyone knows the deal going in.

If you build dinosaurs, they will come...

Deuce66, budwhite and Vidiot like this.
  16. brucewayneofgotham

Do not discount reviews
    this already is not looking good from today's numbers

17. Vidiot

Simon A and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. SandAndGlass

[​IMG]

Most Hollywood celebrities are just a flash in the pan, while others have real staying power!

19. Vidiot

I seem to recall one of the Jurassic Park/World ad campaigns saying, "65 million years in the making!"

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. brucewayneofgotham

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

From Variety:

“Jurassic World Dominion” is the new apex predator at the box office.

Universal’s dino-sequel is expected to earn $142.6 million from 4,676 theaters across North America over the weekend, which would mark the highest domestic opening for a non-superhero film since COVID-19 lockdowns were first introduced. That dethrones the $126 million benchmark set by the debut of “Top Gun: Maverick” only two weeks ago.

After taking home $18 million in Thursday previews, Universal had projected the sixth installment in the “Jurassic Park” franchise to earn $132.5 million moving into the weekend.

Stretching back to Steven Spielberg’s 1993 original, which was the highest grossing domestic earner ever upon release, the “Jurassic Park” franchise has a storied box office legacy. The previous two films — “Jurassic World” in 2015 and sequel “Fallen Kingdom” in 2018 — debuted to $208 million and $150 million, respectively.

Looks like JWD will slide into 2nd place for 2022 largest opening weekends.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I wouldn't say that no one gives a crap however there are franchises that are immune to generally bad reviews. Fast & Furious, Transformers being two prime examples.

JWD currently sits at 31% with 286 reviews compiled on Rotten Tomatoes, the audience score is 80%.

23. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I for once, ONCE!, would like to see a Jurassic Park film where they FINALLY get the dinosaur park to operate 100% according to plan, and the BIG scandal is money has gone missing from the East Entrance Stroller Rental. I mean, was it a case of shoddy book-keeping, a park employee pocketing the money or did a park visitor use a rental stroller without paying?!?!

[​IMG]

24. Vidiot

And it look like Jurassic World: Dominion is going to be a monster hit (whether or not it's a good movie):

Jurassic World Dominion Roaring To $386M WW Through Sunday, $244M Overseas – Deadline

I think Universal and Amblin at this point are only concerned about it making money, not satisfying critics. I've rarely seen a major movie get a critics' score this low, and I can't remember seeing a bigger discrepancy between the critics and the public:

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  25. SandAndGlass

I would...

The public wants to see dinosaurs. They don't give a rats backside what the critical opinion is.

The problem with Godzilla movies is that they have relied on special effects and monsters fighting other monsters, boring...

Make a Godzilla movie with Godzilla stomping on people and burning hundreds at a time with his fire breath and you have a billion dollar hit on your hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.