The U.K. 80s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

A companion piece for this thread.

The U.K. 70s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

I loved the 70s charts, but the 80s ones weren’t far behind. I’m focussing on the U.K. charts as they’re often so wonderfully bizarre, they deserve their own retrospective. I hope this thread will do them justice.

There’s no rules or form to follow. The thread is indeed very ‘general’. Obviously I’d like people to talk about their favourite records from this period. I was an avid chart watcher, and am sure I wasn’t alone.

It will be nice to discuss important records as they enjoy their chart journey. Occasionally I (and hopefully others) will post charts, reviews and info from certain years. Obviously if you seen any of the artists live or have met them, it would be great to hear about it.

The 70s version of this thread has gone down well. Hopefully this will too. Everybody likes a bit of nostalgia, don’t they?:)

2. Bobby Morrow

To start us off, here’s the #1 from 40 years ago today. Adam Ant’s Goody Two Shoes. His final chart topper and last great single (IMO). As usual, they spared no expense when making the video.

It was knocked off the top spot 2 weeks later by Charlene’s I’ve Never Been To Me.:cry:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  3. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Good idea, Bobby! :righton:

I remember looking at my first album of the 80s, marvelling at the copyright notice for 1980. I mean, an 8, not a 7! :shake: Lovely.

The first time I noticed was the single for this one... And ask for your forgiveness in advance:

JeffMaher, Dave, JonnyKidd and 12 others like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

No forgiveness required. Or jacket, for that matter.

One of Cliff’s best 80s singles from one of his best 80s albums!

5. Twist-Of-Shadows

Twist-Of-Shadows Forum Resident

Great single, but followed by the equally wonderful Desperate But Not Serious.
    Just love that intro with the horn section.....and the instrumental break a bit later......

Actually......as a complete 80s freak, I can honestly say that what I probably love the most
    about the majority of pop releases during at least the first part of the decade is the horn section - as an integral part of sooo many releases......even the ones you wouldnt expect to have horns would feature them at some point.......example - Kajagoogoo - Big Apple & The Lions Mouth singles......

JonnyKidd, ChoonyFish, Thorpy and 5 others like this.
  6. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

You know I won´t argue with you there. :love:

And I see what you did with your second sentence. Another very good album of the 80s. (And now we´re even allowed to say it out loud. Pop can be good.)

Dave, raye_penber, Jagger69 and 2 others like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

I used to work with a girl who was a big Adam Ant fan. We teased her when she bought the Friend Or Foe album (on LP and cassette) saying that he was on his way out. Which he kind of was.

I bought a handful of his albums (including Friend Or Foe) when they were reissued on CD about 15 years ago.

Thorpy, Eric_Generic and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Expect lots of Record Mirror, Smash Hits and Number One clippings when this thread gets going!:)

9. Twist-Of-Shadows

Apollo 9 still sounds great to my ears (production wise).......but the song itself seems more like a gimmick than a really serious effort......

scobb, sparkmeister, Cledwyn and 3 others like this.
  10. Twist-Of-Shadows

From a purely production point of view, there are records that have certainly stood the test of time much much better than others
    and ZTT releases from 1984/1985 - especially FGTH & Propaganda 12" singles are among the finest pieces of pop-music as art ever produced.....

11. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Am I right in thinking that the first UK number 1 of the 8os was The Pretenders' Brass In Pocket? It was all downhill from there. :D

12. Bobby Morrow

I think it was Another Brick In The Wall. Which was a holdover from 1979, of course. But yes, The Pretenders were next to top the charts.

[​IMG]

13. Twist-Of-Shadows

.....anyone remeber this one.....

.....a one-hit wonder in the truest sense of the word.....

This is actually filed under "synth-pop" on discogs, but every time I think about it, what I remember most is actually the bass line......

Apparently released in october 1980, it actually peaked at no.21 on the UK singles chart in february 1981.....

14. Bobby Morrow

I do remember that. It cropped up on a repeat of TOTPs a few years ago. First time I’d heard it since it came out originally!

JonnyKidd and Northernlight like this.
  15. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

The other one-hit-wonder-Sue from the 80's

tin ears, JonnyKidd, KaBluie and 2 others like this.
  16. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

And also expect lots of quarter-by-quarter looks of what made #1 on the New Musical Express (NME) and Melody Maker charts, as on the '70's thread. We start with the first quarter of 1980 (except where noted in terms of dates), with #1's that only made one "other" chart in bold, and those that topped both "other" charts in bold italics. So without hesitation:

NME #1's

15 Dec 1979: "Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)" by Pink Floyd
    19 Jan: "Brass In Pocket" by the Pretenders
    2 Feb: "My Girl" by Madness (BMRB #2)
    9 Feb: The Special A.K.A. Live! (EP) by The Specials Featuring Rico
    16 Feb: "Coward Of The County" by Kenny Rogers
    01 Mar: "Atomic" by Blondie
    22 Mar: "Together We Are Beautiful" by Fern Kinney
    29 Mar: "Going Underground" by The Jam

Melody Maker #1's

22 Dec 1979: "Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)" by Pink Floyd
    19 Jan: "Brass In Pocket" by the Pretenders
    2 Feb: "My Girl" by Madness
    9 Feb: The Special A.K.A. Live! (EP) by The Specials Featuring Rico
    23 Feb: "Coward Of The County" by Kenny Rogers
    01 Mar: "Atomic" by Blondie
    22 Mar: Together We Are Beautiful" by Fern Kinney
    29 Mar: "Going Underground" by The Jam

All seven of the "official" #1's in this stretch also topped both the NME and Melody Maker charts.

17. W.B.

One wonders, if any U.S. label took this record, which one would it be. Given that RCA distributed this in the UK, I reckon likely RCA itself would have put it out . . . with a 'CHEAPSKATE RECORDS' logo at lower left below the producer's credit.

Scratcha and JonnyKidd like this.
  18. W.B.

A shame this outstanding number would be Mr. Richard's last-ever U.S. Top 10 (he would continue to have the occasional Top 40 hit through 1982).

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

From this chart posted up thread, it’s interesting to note that the US and UK top 30 singles charts don’t share one record. That wouldn’t happen now!

[​IMG]

20. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Since there was a favourite twenty Top 40 singles on the 1970s thread I thought I might as well post my equivalent for the 1980s.

In no particular order; one per artist:

Stone Roses - She Bangs The Drum
    Jam - That's Entertainment
    Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
    Specials - Ghost Town
    Fun Boy Three & Bananarama - It Ain't What You Do
    Prince - Sign Of the Times
    Siouxsie & Banshees - Christine
    Grandmaster Flash - The Message
    Suzanne Vega - Luka
    Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams

Katrina & The Waves - Walking On Sunshine
    Culture Club - War Song
    The Smiths - Girlfriend In A Coma
    Rhoda Dakar - The Boiler
    Jesus & Mary Chain - April Skies
    Alice Cooper - Poison
    Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Kate Bush - Babooshka
    The Bangles - Manic Monday
    Soft Cell - Say Hello Wave Goodbye

21. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Surprised to see I have 8 out of the top 10 in that UK chart (including I'm slightly embarrassed to say, Fiddlers Dram, though they did evolve into one of my all time favourite bands, Oysterband). The song that was really obsessing me that week was My Girl by Madness.

And at the risk of being a pedant, Please Don't Go features in both top 30s, both top 10s in fact.

domfjbrown and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. W.B.

I don't know . . .
    - "Please Don't Go" - #7 UK, #5 U.S.
    - "No More Tears" - #29 UK, #24 U.S.
    - "Better Love Next Time" - #31 UK, #14 U.S.
    - "Babe" - #37 UK, #10 U.S.
    - "The Second Time Around" - #69 UK, #67 U.S.
    - "Escape" - #72 UK, #1 U.S.
    - "Still" - #74 UK, #6 U.S.
    (among others, if I missed any please feel free to add on)
    Plus a few onetime UK mainstays on the U.S. charts, a few months to a few years later.

ARK and motownboy like this.
  23. Love that.

Northernlight likes this.
  24. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

A sort of forgotten hit from early 80, The Buggles - Living In The Plastic Age

Despite going Top 20 it never seems to crop up on any 80s compilations.

25. Twist-Of-Shadows

So, as far as I know, every UK single & album chart released available thus far has been up to Top-100, easily available also online here:

Ultimate Music Database

But, is it often quoted and said, especially when referred to some rare / obscure releases, they they have only reached a chart position lower than Top-100 and when that particular position has been quoted, it would have sometimes even closer to Top-200.

So, I was wondering, if anyone know if there is a Top-200 UK singles chart available anywhere ?

The latest official chart books published are yet again only Top-75, like this one from 2019:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1724491857/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.