Closed back headphones that mute outside sounds

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FritzL, Jun 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded Thread Starter

I need a set of closed back headphones that mute a loud office-like atmosphere that has music playing through a loudspeaker system at a loud volume. I want to hear my music, not what's playing through the loudspeakers. Price range is $500 but would consider paying a bit more for something that both mutes outside sound and has good sound quality. Thx in advance for your suggestions.

2. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Noise cancelling will likely be the only effective option in that setting. Passive closed backs probably won’t attenuate enough.

3. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Billy Infinity and punkmusick like this.
  4. FritzL

Would you know of a wired version?

5. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Get those. They are really good

i mean they’re not anything super audiophile. But really good for what you described in your needs

why would you want wires?

6. FritzL

I use a DAP and a portable amp so I prefer wired.

7. Uglyversal

Interesting that when I've clicked on the link I've gave you it took me to the preorder page of the new XM5 but the second time went to the XM4 which are the ones I am talking about. A friend of mine have them and I was almost sure they can be used with a cable, the specs page seem to indicate so, I would do some more homework about it but at first glance what I remembered seem to be correct. Sony WH-1000XM4 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones

8. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

You can use the Sonys wired as well and can use your own cable. I own the XM3 version and use them for work.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  9. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

10. FritzL

Thanks JohnO. I'm good with the price range. Just need a set of wired headphones that block external sound. Don't need microphone etc.

11. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The difficulty is finding a good closed back wired headphone that also has good noise isolation. There are some closed back headphones that have poor outside noise isolation because the pads are porous and because the headphone ear cups and backs are just thin plastic. Thin plastic with no sound isolating material inside will not block much outside noise.

Unfortunately the sound isolation isn't something that is regularly measured by the headphone measurement people. So it's hard to find out how well the various headphones isolate.

12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

If you have an iPhone or other Apple device, try the Apple AirPods Max. Usually on discount on Amazon. Don’t scoff! :laugh:

Dennis Metz and wgb113 like this.
  13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Another option is a good IEM. IEMs will block outside sound much like a similar earplug. However, they can be inconvenient if you need to remove them too often to be able to talk to other people. Deep insertion IEMs, like Etymotic, will block more sound than the shallow insertion IEMs. The style and construction of ear tips will also affect how well they isolate. Thin pliable silicone single flange tips will isolate less than a foam tip.

At around the $500 price point you can start considering custom IEMs that are molded to your ear shape. Impressions for a custom IEM mold can be $50 to $100 or more. Depending on where you get it done. There are even places using 3D scanners now (see Otoscan) to do the measurements instead of shoving soft goo in your ear holes to make an impression. You should be able to find the laser method in the LA area given how many musicians and audio professionals are in the LA area.

PineBark and bever70 like this.
  14. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Ohh, tell me more...:shh:

15. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I've had these for about 18 months and I'm quite happy with them. One issue though, the feature that stops playback when taking them off has stopped working.

Uglyversal likes this.
  16. Uglyversal

That's news to me, I didn't know they had that feature.

17. FritzL

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I will try the Sony XM4. If those don't work I will return them and try the XM5's.

Billy Infinity and punkmusick like this.
  18. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Sony headphones are far from neutral and have a very noticeable bass bump but maybe the XM5 has improved on that.

punkmusick likes this.
  19. hman

hman Forum Resident

I have these. I use them for work calls and music/movies when I travel. They work and sound great.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I have the XM3 and like them quite a bit. I don't use them at home, but for airplanes or offices they work very well, although bass heavy as said above (which I don't think is a big problem considering what I use them for). At home, I use them every day to play drums, I can easily hear a metronome click or a backing track while studying. And my drums are LOUD.

21. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

Same here, and I recommend. (Assuming versions 4 & 5 will be even better.)

The bluetooth sounds just fine and connects easily with my iPhone. If you're using them to suppress background noise, I'd only use the wired connection if the source didn't have bluetooth. The noise-canceling feature adds a hiss (not bothersome, but it's there) that I assume would negate any sound-quality improvement you might get from a cable.

Kristofa likes this.
  22. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

My daughter has the Sony XM3, I tried them once but didn't like the sound at all. I suggest trying IEM's (In Ear Monitors) as well, no noise cancelling, they block outside sound much better then closed back headphones and they don't result in that horrible sweaty feeling after hours of use like closed back over ear headphones can do.

23. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I read a review that claims the XM3 has the bass bump but was EQ’d out of the XM4…yet there is a treble boost on the XM4. I haven’t heard the XM4, so I can’t personally compare them with the XM3.

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have the XM3s. Yes they color the sound - but:
    1. They interfere less with the sound than the noise in the room.
    2. The Sony app has an equalizer; I used it to turn down the bass.

I used to have PSB M4U-2 noise cancelling phones. The only noise cancellers I know with something approaching quality sound. But they had other problems. PSB is now two generations beyond that, and they might be worth checking out.

25. holden4th

holden4th Forum Resident

The best isolating passive headphones I've ever used are the Sennheiser HD280s. I remember using them on a flight with a screaming baby in the seat behind me, I barely heard it. I couldn't hear what the cabin crew member was saying when she was asking me what refreshments I'd like - I had to take the 280s off.

That said, active noise cancelling headphones are the go and there are plenty of options from Sony, Bose, AKG, Apple, Shure, etc. A set of iems that seal tightly (and this is down to the tips you use) also work very as a passive system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.