the shining- Kubrick film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zombie dai, Jun 12, 2022.

1. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own Thread Starter

i rewatched it for the first time in years, i much, much, prefer the book as bits left out (such as the hedge animals coming to life and almost killing danny) were much better than bits added and i like how you can see jack's thoughts as he talks, often opposing what he says

i think shelley duvall played a very convincing peacefall lady put in a terrible situation (watching, i asked myself, how would i really have reacted in her position) but what i hadn't really paid attention to before was the use of msuic/noise. i think it is brilliant and really helps to make the film unnerving

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I too prefer the book which is a very creepy read.

The movie is monotonous with many long dull stretches and I don't subscribe to the view that every scene is framed just so and has complex hidden meanings.

3. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

Imagine how that would have looked in 1980.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  4. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I saw it on first release and was so disappointed. This was my second Kubrick movie seen in a theater at an age I could appreciate it. I had seen 2001 in a theater but I was only 8. I disliked The Shining. JAck Nicholsons over the top performance seemed cringeworthy. I really wanted to see the hedge animals and felt the maze was a poor replacement. I missed all the back story of the guests and the guy in the bear suit with the open bottom.

I’ve seen it many times since then and my appreciation has only grown. It gets more freightening each time I see it. Not less. There is a great great deal of suggested terror happening in this movie. Is Danny being sexually molested by his father? My last viewing was on the new 4k release and I must say I have never noticed the sound design so much before. Brilliant work. I still would have liked to see Kubrick tackle the hedge animals.

5. zombie dai

yeah it goes from 1-60 then back to 1 then back to 60. the pace does seen off. have you seen stephen king's version? i had it but couldn't bring myself to watch it

6. zombie dai

it does seem like one of those books which are unfilmable as much of it exists in jack's head

7. zombie dai

this was the creepiest viewing for me, probably the longest since i read the book. this time the music was more apparent for me and it does add an extra level to it

maybe, also, having seen more 'recent' 'horror' films, it shows qualities that modern films lack?

Stencil likes this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

Saw it long ago. Wasn't very good despite being more faithful to the book.

9. zombie dai

that's what i'd heard

10. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I def did not remember the music being so immersive and unsettling.

11. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

I only saw the movie of the Shining and I think it’s one of Stanley Kubrick’s best movies. Knowing Stanley’s work, however, I would be very surprised if the film was close to the book though.

somnar, SRC and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think the book is nothing special, but the movie is an iconic classic for a reason.

Some differences I remember is that in the book, the father brandishes a croquet mallet, not a fire axe. And in the book, that father "abuses" aspirin, frequently chewing it.

13. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I was disappointed in the movie because I loved the book and I love Kubrick.

I think the real problem may have been Nicholson's performance, I think it was over the top, with the "Here's Johnny" thing being the signature moment of excess.

14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Any way to access the shorter international Kubrick version of "The Shining"? I always wanted to see that.

15. Wildest cat from montana

He's way over the top in pretty much every scene he's in.
    Duvall is whiny in every scene she's in.
    And the kid is awful in every scene he's in.

16. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Once I could see that the Kubrick movie was NOT the book, I could really enjoy it. The creep factor is excellent.

Rob6899 and Stencil like this.
  17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Perhaps the European cut would be much more to your liking.

18. zombie dai

the music is in the trailer, not as good as in the film but gives a feel

19. zombie dai

20. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

I read the book first, and thought Kubrick captured it faithfully (for better or worse). But I questioned whether Jack should have been in this. He just isn't an "everyman." Everyman gone mad. All I saw was Randall. Maybe Sam Neill or somebody.

Or, hell, Ted Knight. Picture HIM looking through that smashed door with a busted golf club, if you're not going to filter out irony.

21. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I think the film is incredible, and I'm not alone, the general consensus is that it's pretty damn good. It's too bad some people do not enjoy it.

IGN: The Shining #1 Best Horror Film of All Time
    The 25 Best Horror Movies of All Time - IGN

Games Radar: The Shining #1 Best Horror Film of All Time
    The 30 best horror movies of all time

Rolling Stone Reader's Poll: The Shining #2 Best Horror Film of All Time
    The 10 Best Horror Movies of All Time

Paste Magazine: The Shining #2 Best Horror Film of All Time
    The 100 Best Horror Movies of All Time

Empire: The Shining #1 Best Horror Film of All Time
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/best-horror-movies/

Indiewire: The Shining #1 Best Horror Film of All Time
    The 150 Best Horror Movies of All Time | IndieWire | Page 15

Rotten Tomatoes: The Shining #4 Scariest Horror Movie of All Time
    The 10 Scariest Horror Movies Ever << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

I read the book when I was 18 or so, because I loved the movie, and thought the book was not for me, though I've enjoyed some other King books. This book seemed to be more about (directly or indirectly) alcoholism than anything actually interesting or more ambiguous, and it felt like the book was "trying very hard to unnerve me", unsuccessfully.

Jack D, dunkoid, MisterBritt and 7 others like this.
  22. Wildest cat from montana

Had a girlfriend years back who would not read 'The Shining' unless I was in the apartment with her.

Vidiot, MikaelaArsenault and Michael like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

loved the book and enjoyed the movie...saw it at the movies! really loved the Ballroom scenes...

AppleCorp3 and Ghostworld like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and you obliged of course!

25. Wildest cat from montana

I don't know if this is some Shining hoodoo voodoo but your post came with the message that I am "ignoring content by this member".
    I assure you I am not.

MikaelaArsenault and Michael like this.