I think I'm done with Discogs

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by CAP, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

That sucks :(

2. CAP

CAP Forum Resident Thread Starter

those are the exact criteria i have used - except i'm looking for near mint more often than not. maybe i'm just unlucky

3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

My experiences are still nearly always positive. The other day a seller insisted I pay extra shipping because my order weighed a little more than what the shipping was calculated for, which was a little annoying since it was his mistake. I didn't make a fuss though.

CAP likes this.
  4. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

That’s part of the problem with Discogs’ ridiculous shipping calculations. A seller might have a 3 CD set in over size packaging where the shipping calculated is woefully inadequate. But as a seller, I don’t think it is fair to ask for more after the billing has already been calculated.

I probably lose some sellers because of higher shipping charges but I won’t ship without insurance. This week a postal carrier rang my doorbell and handed me a box that was still wet with a corner coming apart. When I opened it, the sealed cd at the bottom was soaked and the tray card ruined. Since it was sent media mail, the USPS won’t do anything, so it is up to the seller to make it good.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I have never bought vinyl sight-unseen on the interweb, ever ever ever. Tons of CD's of course, and Discogs has been nothing but a positive experience so far. But after searching high and low for the Procol Harum GRAND HOTEL white vinyl RSD issue locally (Los Angeles) to no avail, I finally gave in and ordered a still-sealed copy from a UK seller today. 5K+ reviews, 99% positive, unbeatable price. Even if they do everything right on their end, still a lot of potential manhandling between there and here. So, fingers crossed.

CAP and fretter like this.
  6. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Wait for a record show. Everybody and their uncle Lou are Discogs dealers now. Go to a record store and you'll see them looking up everything. VG+ on Discogs is VG at best, sometimes VG-.

Joe Satriani and fretter like this.
  7. Ken Dryden

The one record show that used to take place in our area finally stopped coming here. There were too many vendors with what looked like garage sale LPs and the little jazz I found was badly overpriced. To top it off, they charged admission, unlike the show that preceded it before it ended its run.

fretter likes this.
  8. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

That's the problem......the dealers hold all the good stuff for eBay and Discogs and bring the duffers and the overpriced (just to show they have stuff) to the shows. Ever notice at record shows all the propped up overpriced records behind them never sell? Like paintings. At $5 a gallon the people a bit away from the record show towns don't come anymore, or sell....especially in California.

fretter and theMot like this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

This is how I do it as well. Most of what I'm buying these days is fairly rare, small or private label jazz from the '70s. I've rarely had a bum copy or had to return one for misgrading. Most of the records I'm chasing I will never find at a local record store and though some appear here at record shows (or in NY at WFMU, which I haven't attended in a while), the prices are typically higher.
    I'm also patient. I'll watchlist something and keep an eye out on E-Bay as well. If it is the record I'm after and purports to be in top condition, I will have a dialog with the seller beforehand, but usually don't quibble much on price.

steelydanguy likes this.
  10. mstoelk

mstoelk Well-Known Member

24hrs earlier you said don't buy online, -that it's all over graded stuff, but rather to wait for a Record Show. Now today, you're saying the only thing at record shows is junk and overpriced stuff, and that the good stuff is kept for sale online. I can't keep up

GimiSomeTruth likes this.
  11. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

This is the same method I employ -- for Discogs, eBay and Amazon, which are the three primary websites I use for buying music online from third parties.

I ask specific questions up front and get the seller to state or confirm the condition, etc. That way, if what I receive doesn't match what they said, I have them on record and could return if needed. You weed out some bad or inaccurate sellers this way. It's a bit of a pain to ask the questions up front, but in my opinion it's worth it in the end.

It's not a foolproof method, but it definitely cuts down greatly on the disappointing sales. Of course, I usually buy CDs. I know vinyl is even trickier.

I'm also a stickler for buying from sellers with really good feedback ratings, like close to perfect basically. And on top of that, I find it useful sometimes to read through the buyer feedback notes. Sometimes you can really tell from those comments which sellers pack their items securely, grade them accurately, etc.

12. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

You can find great stuff at record shows but it is tough in '22. The Joe Blows coming in for the first time are scarce. Omaha was incredible in the 80's and 90's. Down South was amazing. Carolinas. Discogs/Amazon/eBay/show dealers cram tables as the boxes are put on the tables. I like paper goods better at shows.

theMot likes this.
  13. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I haven't given up all hope but I've cut way back on buying used records on Discogs. I still use it to buy sealed, new vinyl and for used CDs. That said, I have bought a handful of used records this year and haven't gotten anything disappointing, but that seems to be the luck of the draw.

14. uzn007

It's definitely a lot more satisfying and cost-effective to buy used records in person. Even without a way to listen to them, looking at the vinyl usually gives you a better clue what they're going to sound like than some rando's "VG+" rating.

Cronverc and Cool Chemist like this.
  15. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

I would add to that:

-Don’t buy from sellers with too much feedback and listings, they are likely not checking and grading properly. If they have good feedback it’s probably because they are giving people refunds on duds to maintain their score.

-Check the sellers other listings, if they are grading just about everything NM/NM it’s a red flag or you have found Aladdin’s cave, unlikely.

TwiceFan likes this.
  16. uzn007

This is why the feedback on discogs is basically meaningless. You can sell literally any crap as "VG+" or "NM" and if you offer the customer a refund, you can get negative feedback removed.

I usually look for listings with specific descriptions to that record, e.g. "very clean with just a couple of ticks", stuff to indicate that the seller might have actually listened to it. Or even "looks unplayed" if I'm willing to take a chance. That sort of item-specific information, along with positive feedback that specifically mentions accurate descriptions, can go a long way toward finding reliable sellers.

For the record (and since I'm curious), it looks like I've made five purchases of used records on Discogs in the last 12 months, so like I said earlier, I'm kind of gunshy at this point. That said, all five of these purchases were satisfactory, so I guess my screening process is working. For comparison, in that same 12-month period, I made 13 purchases of new vinyl or new/used CDs (mostly used).

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i had been watching a certain CD on discogs for well over a year, it never sold and the price never changed, not once.

it was priced at $25 + $5 shipping......i offered $25 including shipping and did not even get the courtesy of a reply.

i don't get it anymore.

18. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I use any source possible. Depends on what it is and how bad I want it. Discogs has been almost perfect for me over the years, I can only think of once I got a pressing different than what I wanted. Discogs, Ebay, Amazon, Bandcamp, Thrifts, Local, any place a record might be hiding, I'm looking. As far as Discogs goes, stick to big sellers with 100%. Or roll the dice and hope.

bug2362 likes this.
  19. Ken Dryden

As a former retail manager I experienced my share of customer complaints, most of which I could resolve quickly. But there are always those who continued to raise a stink even after they got what they wanted. Some Discogs sellers and buyers deserve their negative votes, but there are likely some buyers who will find fault with the seller over something which they had no control, like slow mail delivery. If you need something faster or are worried about loss, asked about paying a little more in shipping prior to making the purchase.

20. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

I’m done with Discogs after one purchase. A described NM Classic Records Aqualung with a very noticeable nick and audible click for several revolutions. There were scuffs on the record which alone would have made it VG at best. The cover also graded as NM had bent corners. I had to pay return shipping. What a waste of time.

fretter likes this.
  21. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

NM look VG all the time on Discogs. Just hit shows in your area bro..

22. Ken Dryden

The other issue I have with record shows is it is nearly impossible to get an adjustment after the show if a used lp proves to be defective, unless the dealer who made the sale is someone you’ve dealt with on a regular basis.

ted321 likes this.
  23. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I believe in the past year or two, more people have become hip to Discogs. There are certainly more newer sellers so I'm sure there's a lot of people who think they found a deal in the wild and then try to resell online. I work at a store and some of the people coming in are blatant flippers. Many of them are just dollar bin guys. While they may find something we missed, some just seem kind of clueless about time and effort with selling junk LPs online. Also, I think what has happened is more new sellers are ones that don't care or respect the medium. I still buy a lot from Discogs but I really check sellers thoroughly before buying anything now.

24. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I bet in Carbondale if Fogelberg on vinyl comes back you'd be rich. I always laugh at the junk sellers online...the time and effort is crazy stuff. They must drive rusted F150 1984 models.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  25. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I still manage to find good stuff at record shows once in a while, for how long it will last - I don't know, most likely not long. Though, I never look for really cheap stuff, usually looking for import pressings in $15-30 range. Don't care for most US pressings, even if they cheap - don't have enough room anymore for usually inferior records. I never look for NM, 40-50 years old record which plays honest VG+ is good enough for me.

Never bought from Discogs. Bought last record from eBay in 2016 - I don't feel like competing with "deep pockets" from all around the world.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022