Closed back headphones that mute outside sounds

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FritzL, Jun 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Etymotic series of IEMs. If you can get used to how deep into the ear canal they go...

2. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

The 280s and 380s both sound super thin and bright to me. They were also uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time, in my opinion. They work great as studio headphones, but I never enjoyed them for pleasure. I would opt for my personal favorite set of studio phones, Beyerdynamic DT770. I feel like you get way more than you pay for and the isolation is pretty good. Way more enjoyable to listen to compared to the Sennheisers. At the $500 price point, he could make the jump to the DT1770.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  3. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Which impedance of the 770's do you like? Are they the "Pro" version?
    IIRC, @timind also likes the DT770's for a closed back set but specifically the non-pro version, which seems to be all they make now?
    My apologies for any mis-remembering.

4. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

They're at my brother's right now, so I can't physically check, but I'm pretty sure I see Professional stamped on the headband in pics and my gut tells me they're 80 ohm. I've had them for forever. Pretty sure I bought them in like 2006 and still goin strong (besides an earpad replacement after the old ones turned to dust, lol). If you never plan on using them without a decent amp, go for 250 ohm. If you need to get a lot of use out of it plugged right into your phone or computer, I'd get 32 ohm. If you might use them for both, go 80 ohm.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  5. holden4th

holden4th Forum Resident

With good amplification the HD280s absolutely sing for me and didn't appear super bright. The 380s did. Yes, clamp force might be an issue.

6. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

To be fair, I am going off memory from a long time ago with the 280, so I could be wrong. I own the 380 and they seem real ice picky, even though the Beyers actually show a bigger bump in the highs on the frequency response graph. I have powered them with a variety of audio interfaces which I assume have decent amps, but I've never spent big money on a dedicated headphone amp. Apogee Duet and Apollo Twin X are decently high end interfaces that should be good enough. Anyway, I just don't think the Sennheiser's are for me. A little too in your face. The Beyers bump and sparkle :laugh: Probably less accurate, but they hit the spot for me.

7. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I wonder if I just like the sound of the big dip at 3.5khz. I think that's the "ice pick" frequency.
    [​IMG]

8. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I love the Bose 35ii and 45. (I own the 35ii and tested the 45)…

9. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

I'd say most over ear closed backs cut most outdoor noise, upgraded pads do so more depending on the material and comfortable tightness of the seal, or simply find any headphone with "ANC" technology in it. ANC looks like it's the new trend especially around the consumer markets, so I think you will be pleased with anything ANC. I haven't seen any high quality cans use ANC, but I think this could be a trend on the horizon who knows!

10. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I'm not a fan of active noise cancelation myself. I have a decent pair of Sennheisers with ANC. When music is going, they sound alright, but in quiet passages and between songs the weird whooshing of white noise being injected is both obvious and disorienting for me. It's like it throws off my inner ear balance and makes me feel floaty, like when my head is all stuffed up. Plus, they require battery power at all times to operate, even when plugged in. They've been relegated to the junk bin, haha.

11. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded Thread Starter

I finally bought the Sony XM4 NC headphones but returned them immediately for the XM5’s. I figured if i am going to do this I might as well go with the XM5’s. I think they are ok and sound fine for the price. Happy with the purchase. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Hope it all works out for you, but if this office-like environment with loud music playing through loudspeakers that you’re trying to cope with is your workplace, I would bitterly complain to management! Or bring a huge boom box and go to war.

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Noise cancelling definitely has its benefits, but if you want to go with a "just seal off my dang ears" approach, there are two, both of which I use:

1. Etymotic research earbuds, with CUSTOM MOLDS (made at your audiologist) that fit your ears (custom-made). The ER-4s or similar should work great, and seal out an amazing about of noise, but they are buds, not 'phones.

2. Beyerdynamic DT-770s Pro. These are decent/good "just fine" -- not killer/great/audiophile -- phones, but they are solid, kind-of-clunky, old-school headphones that really clampdown over your ears and make a good seal (in my experience on my head). The price won't break the bank, they have a volume control on the cord, and they can be cranked pretty well via non-high-end sources (phones, iPods, laptops, etc.).

14. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

I took the XM5's with me and the loud music has been significantly toned down to the point where I probably don't need them. Looks like the joke is on me. Like the headphones tho and I do travel from time to time.

dover1968 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.