Obi-Wan Kenobi, May 25 on Disney Plus

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Mar 9, 2022.

1. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Perhaps I’m misinterpreting the comment, but if not, it’s unfortunate how much criticism of current Star Wars media boils down to misogyny.

Yes, the episode was quite good.

JohnK

2. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Disney has not been shy about its desire to expand the Star Wars brand beyond its old mostly-male fanbase, and that entails changes that one is allowed to praise or criticize. People can't on the one hand demand more female moviemaking, "because women have their own stories to tell", and at the same time be offended when those new storylines/angles/choices/sensibilities are not to everyone's liking.

enro99 and bru87tr like this.
  3. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Nope, just put a female character that can pull it off. She’s not scary or intimidating and that’s what she’s trying to pull off. Absolutely terrible and cringed every time she was on screen.

But it’s no secret these days that most movies are lead today by “tough woman” and them protecting weak men and/or killing them off. That’s ok right ?

Sorry you’re offended by your own interpretation, but it’s pretty clear how Hollywood works these days.

Elektra got bad reviews when released. I loved it and think a good example of a woman pulling off the tough woman role. But it takes the right leading lady and she must be convincing. I thought JG was great in it. Also probably one of very few that liked the movie.

When I seen the trailer for Anna I laughed. A 80lb woman killing off a room full of 50 big men. Come on now, let’s at least be believable.

Do we have to take offense to everything these days and jump to conclusions ? Fact is she’s bad as bad can be, end of story.

Scott222C likes this.
  4. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

It's telling that you double down there, between "fact is" and "end of story", when that's not fact, nor the end of story; that's just your subjective opinion. Everyone I know in real life watching the show, including me, thinks she's great. In my experience, it's generally a certain type on the internet that is complaining about her. The actual fact that you love what is generally known as a universally panned movie (Elektra) just reinforces the idea that all you have is your own minority opinion, and are welcome to it, but it's this "fact is"/"end of story" stuff that loudly broadcasts your lack of tolerance.

5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I find it hard to believe that Bail Organa would be dumb enough to leave Obi Wan a prerecorded message giving away the fact that Vader has children and that one of them is on Tatooine. This is the guy who co-founded and coordinated the rebel alliance. He knows how to stay quiet and keep secrets. I foresee Reva meeting up with Owen again in the last episode. I always thought he was a lame old jerk before, but after this show (and the fact that I have kids) I have a new appreciation for his desire to keep Luke on the farm.

In any case, I really enjoyed episode V. The original trilogy symmetry keeps happening, but why didn’t Vader grab the Millennium Falcon with the force and rip the doors off in ESB? Too far away and too fast? The force was always with that hunk of junk.

6. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Nope. My woke children hate her. They watched and loved rebels with their diverse cast. They just told me how scary the Grand Inquisitor was to them as kids, but Reva projects nothing vile, sinister or scary to them. I told them that the actress who plays her was good in the Queen's Gambit, so they rightly asked, "So it's the writing and direction then?" To which, I said, "Ding, ding ding!"

[​IMG]

coffeetime, bru87tr and enro99 like this.
  7. Dr. J.

On a different topic, I have a question: at the beginning of the series, does Obi-Wan know about the existence of a dark lord of the Sith name Darth Vader?

8. Dr. J.

Yes, extremely dumb. My daughter pointed out that this would implicate him in conspiring to aid and abet the Jedi, which would be grounds for termination.

Leviethan likes this.
  9. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Right. Wouldn’t he be infamous throughout the galaxy?

10. Dr. J.

I thought so too. I ask because we were rewatching Revenge of the Sith the other night and were struck by the security camera footage of Anakin killing the Jedi in the Jedi Temple. Therein is also the shot of Anakin kneeling before Sidious, in which he says, "Rise Lord Vader." So Obi-Wan know that Anakin = Darth Vader right at that moment. So why does he act so surprised when Reva tells him that Anakin lives in Episode 2? Is this just another unfortunate inconsistency? Or did the writers assume Obi-Wan, by living in the outer rim, had no idea about the existence of the most infamous Sith in the galaxy aside from Sidious?

11. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I can't gin up any interest in this series. There is zero suspense, I know nobody important is going to die. When I saw baby Leia run away in Blade Runner city I thought Obi-Wan should've just let her go, she was so annoying and she hasn't gotten any better. She's a master electrician now? The light saber battles are just padding, I know who is going to win. And a bunch of red shirts die, yawn.

I like spending time in the Star Wars universe which is why I liked The Mandalorian. New characters in new situations. Baby Yoda was actually cute.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    Mr Matchbox, bru87tr and CantonJester like this.
  12. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I guess it’s plausible that he thought Anakin/Vader died on Mustafar, and that he really spent ten years tuned out from the force and not paying attention to anything but Luke. Maybe the cantinas in the wretched hives of scum and villainy don’t show the Imperial equivalent of Fox News on their TVs? That lady whose hand Reva lopped off did say the imperials had no rights in the outer rim. It makes sense that the people that live out there have a very limited knowledge of what the empire was up to.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    Quadboy and SRC like this.
  13. Dr. J.

Interesting. Funny you mentioned the Cantina and Imperial TV. Doesn't the SW Holiday Special have just such a thing? Forward to 1:13:00:

14. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Ep 5 was crazy fantastic

bru87tr likes this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I know they gotta have a spin off, but c'mon. Saber blow misses all major organs so she can be all "you made one mistake, Mr. Potter, you double crossed me and left me alive!" Weak.

I think the soundtrack really sucks away a fair amount of suspense as well. I like the show, ok, but could be better.

16. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

GAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!

17. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

I’m just so burned out on Darth Vader. Worst bad guy in movie history.

razerx and Zeroninety like this.
  18. CantonJester

Agreed. Way too much music.

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member Thread Starter

Same thing that happened to the Grand Inquisitor.

"It's like poetry, it rhymes." - George Lucas

20. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

i think all the recent spin-offs have been fantastic ! not sure what the problem people have with it all ! i actually liked SOLO ! maybe some of the people should just move on if you don't like it !

ianuaditis, Leviethan and SRC like this.
  21. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

I think Reva is the most compelling character in Kenobi. Much of the post-Empire Strikes Back SW content is patchy, at best. I manage to ignore 97% of Star Wars online fan-squawk, but it's getting ridiculous lately. George Lucas "ruined" Star Wars circa 1983, alright? Quit whining.

ampmods and SRC like this.
  22. CantonJester

For Reva to be the most compelling, there should’ve be an entire episode dedicated to her backstory. As it is, the fact the character can be considered ‘most compelling’ is really an indictment of the story itself (and the writers). That’s not a knock on Moses Ingram, btw. She’s great in Queens Gambit.

enro99 likes this.
  23. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

But in StarWarsLand, back stories are never-ending wellsprings of entertainment. Not enough info on young Reva? Be patient; she'll probably have her own cartoon & breakfast cereal in a few years, to help fill in the gaps.

bru87tr and GentleSenator like this.
  24. Thoughts on ep. 5:

So Reva has made a career out of killing/capturing Jedi’s simply to gain access to Vader? And when she finally fights Vader she is woefully unprepared/under-powered? In other words she had people killed to fight a battle she could not possibly win.

And Leila is now an electronics/mechanical expert?

Other than that I did enjoy the episode.

Binni and mx20 like this.
  25. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

The other Inquisitors appear the way they do because they don't seem to be fully human characters to begin with. Christopher Lee played an all-out Sith Lord and, while some may see him as ghoulish in general, there's no sense that his fall changed his appearance.

ianuaditis likes this.