Beyonce announces new album "Renaissance" (out July 29)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jonathan Halen, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Jonathan Halen

Jonathan Halen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Beyoncé’s New Album Renaissance Out Next Month

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Information is pretty vague at the moment...

Beyonce Teases ‘Renaissance’ Release – Billboard

There was fire behind all that smoke, with Bey announcing overnight that Renaissance would drop July 29, by way of a cryptic update on her socials, reading “act i”.

Not sure if there will be an "act ii", but honestly 16 tracks seems to be more than sufficient these days -- at least for me! Perhaps the "act ii" would be a tour or something else...

Pre-order at her website also doesn't have a lot of info. And of course, the vinyl will probably be months or years later...

RENAISSANCE BOX SET - POSE 1

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Can't wait to hear her take on Ashes are Burning.

4. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

5. pghmusiclover

I would enjoy that!

Bink likes this.
  6. pghmusiclover

It is very odd that she has announced this so far in advance. Wasn't she one of the first major artists to "drop" an album without any advance notice?

7. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Maybe she feels she's been there, done that! Also possible that she has to account for the industry slowing down due to Covid.

TonyCzar likes this.
  8. pghmusiclover

...and yet Drake just "dropped" a new album overnight!

I mean, when Adele released her last album, at least ALL the formats were available at one time -- I seriously doubt if Beyonce will have vinyl available upon release date. The vinyl for the last two studio albums (and live album) was seriously delayed, while the album with Jay-z from 2018 has NEVER had an official vinyl release yet.

Bink likes this.
  9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Good point. I guess she just decided to do things differently this time then.

10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Retro disco has been a steady style lately. Dua Lipa & J Hud come immediately to mind. Will be interesting to hear Beyoncé’s take on it if that’s the case here.

Sean, Bink and pghmusiclover like this.
  11. pghmusiclover

J Hud? She did disco? I'd say Kylie and Dua are the two that come to mind for me!

12. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

J Hud more in the mold of Champagne King and it wasn’t for every song

Doja Cat flirts with retro disco as well.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  13. pghmusiclover

I honestly don't remember J Hud's last album -- besides the Aretha soundtrack. I'll have to look that up!

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  14. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Going back a few years, there is also Madonna's Confessions on a Dancefloor.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Lemonade was brilliant, so I’m very excited to hear what she’s doing now. Can’t wait!

Sean, Bink and pghmusiclover like this.
  16. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I wonder if there will be a visual element to this as with the last few releases.

17. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

18. pghmusiclover

New song:

Bink and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. pghmusiclover

20. pghmusiclover

Thoughts on this? Honestly I guess I was a bit underwhelmed…

21. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

16 track? Sounds like another vinyl production capacity suck for an unnecessary vanity double album.
    Err, I mean, what great news! Can't wait to hear it!

22. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

When it first started I thought 'OK, maybe she is not making a retro disco album' but as it went along it occurred to me that maybe it is retro but not in an obvious way.

It might be one if those songs that you have to judge in the context of the whole album, particularly after I read today that the album is half dance oriented and half country- esque!!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  23. pghmusiclover

Hardly… Beyonce has not released vinyl for her last few albums until way after the fact… I doubt it will be different for this one… seems like she’s tying up CD pressing plants though!!!

Let’s bring McCartney into this thread with a vinyl production suck for his latest vanity collection of the three McCartney albums — a waste of resources if ever there was one!

Giobacco likes this.
  24. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Bit of a meh song. I appreciate the vibe of it overall, but these kinds of lyrics coming from Beyoncé are kinda hilarious. Also, I enjoy her vocals, but they're almost too fierce for such a simple beat. Sounds like there should be a more upfront instrumental or something.

It's catchy enough, so it works. But I'm assuming there will be better songs.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  25. pghmusiclover

Of course it’s catchy, since it samples a Robin S house gem!

But yeah the lyrics are a bit ironic coming from someone like Beyoncé!