"The Orville," sci-fi comedy series from Seth MacFarlane.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 15, 2017.

1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Pretty wild production for a dream sequence. Big way to start a new season. I am looking forward to it

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'm sure there will be plenty of snark mixed in with the action.

3. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

If the VFX team works from home, they probably had nothing better to do than to sit around in their pajamas for months rendering this sequence.

Yeah it is just sound and fury. Probably wouldn’t have been done if real filming hadn’t been delayed.

4. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

New episodes now on the Hulus.

I watched the first episode of season 3, pickes up right where season 2 finished. Script has less snark and more drama, but that's just an initial impression. Looks like a bigger VFX budget now, there's lots of external shots of multiple space craft whizzing about.

--Geoff

Sprague Dawley and Blimpboy like this.
  5. Rachael Bee

I watched the new episode twice, once yesterday and again this morning. This episode was 110 minutes. The episodes are going to be as long as they like for a particular script. Most of the cast members are back. Some have changed jobs. There's a new chick helping Gordon Malloy fly the ship. This episode helps sort out what Issac, the robot, is going to be trending towards this season. Next Thursday can't come soon enough!

6. The latest episode is another winner.

7. Rachael Bee

I liked it. About 10 a.m. eastern thyme ;), I decided to see if it was available already and it was. Next Thursday can't come soon enough.

8. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Really? Not my reaction I'm afraid and I liked the opening episode. This seemed like a weak generic horror affair with the usual run and hide moves and surprise encounters with screams. Dark empty corridors with flashlights. How did the creatures get off the ship? Oh well, lets just retire to the dining room and have a nice meal and a glass of wine. Maybe I was expecting too much. Dr. Claire amazingly reminds me of someone I know in real life though. Her mannerisms are so remarkably similar in ways that it's uncanny to me. I was more interested in comparing notes on the both of them then the actual plot.

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Episode 2 was an 'Alien' rehash. It was done well and the visuals were great, but the ending was filled with plot holes and 'wrap it up' writing. What's interesting is that the Dr. has gotten most of the screen time in the first two episodes, with the rest of the crew being almost 'extras'. I wonder if future episodes will be centered around other characters. Maybe Seth wants year 3 to highlight his excellent cast. So far, each of the new episodes has been more like a movie than a TV show visually.

10. Rachael Bee

There were at least 2 episodes of Next Generation with similar themes.

11. Rachael Bee

Episode 3 is a gem! It has a very unique plot and it connects back to an episode from an earlier season. You never know what you'll come across in the vastness of space.

12. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I just watched Season 3 episode 1 and I enjoyed it a lot. It seems like a logical progression from Spock, to Data, to Issac. I like the TNG vibes.

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think "Mortality Paradox" was a rather clever re-working of the same concept that Star Trek explored in its pilot, "The Cage." The only difference being that in "The Cage", the aliens were more implicitly malevolent.

Rachael Bee likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

It was a pretty obvious re-invention of the Borg concept.

15. Rachael Bee

It's been a very long time since I watched The Cage. Those aliens were very malevolent. I'd say that these aliens that progressed past humans because of their time {jumps ???} were barely malevolent, if at all. They did let up when Captain Mercer became frustrated and started cursing. These aliens seemed more curious than anything else. They might have wondered if they should treat humans malevolently to some degree...??? It ended friendly enough.

I don't see a Borg connection. Next Generation had at least one if not two episodes where crew members were transforming biologically. I can't remember the episode names right off hand.

16. dkmonroe

Arguably the aliens in "Mortality Paradox" were worse than the aliens of "The Cage" because they seemed unaware of the trauma they were putting their playthings through. Miss Glowy-Pants at the end seemed kinda like, "Oh, did we scare you? We didn't mean to." Seems irresponsible for such an advanced race. The aliens of "The Cage" at least were honest that they were helpless thrill-junkies. Frankly, I would doubt the superiority of a race who had to subject lower creatures to hallucinations to experience their reaction. It's kinda like poking a rattlesnake just to see it coil.

I think that the aliens of "Shadow Realms" were almost exactly like the Borg, the only difference was that they were using alien DNA and not technology. The effect was the same - infect and take over the body and make it one with the hive mind.

17. Rachael Bee

I think that the aliens in Mortality Paradox knew exactly what they were putting humans through. They were testing us to see how moral we were. They were once behind us on the evolution curve and wondered how honest we had been with them. I don't think that they were considering enslaving us.

18. dkmonroe

No, they weren't considering enslaving humans but they were doing it so that they could experience the moment of ultimate peril that is denied them by their immortality. They lack the thrill of living (and dying) and can only vicariously experience it through the experiences of lower beings. They just didn't kidnap the crew of the Orville and put then in a zoo.

Uther likes this.
  19. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Like the first two seasons, I continue to enjoy The Orville, yet I spend most of each episode saying quietly to myself, "Oh, this is just like that Star Trek episode [such and such]." Unfortunately, it's just too much of a rip-off, err, homage, to ever be its own thing.

glennzo likes this.
  20. I don’t know, putting the characters through emotionally difficult and desth like situations to experience what it’s like is…like experimenting on animals as the Captain pointed out.

21. Rachael Bee

I think that the last 2 shows have been particularly good. The admirals spell out a non-interference policy like Trek's Prime Directive but the Orville crew breaks or has extreme difficulty obeying it for the most part. Now we have a female-centric race that's as crazy as the male-centric Moclans! There's a love affair on the ship causing serious injuries. The Kaylons have a new twist that leaves many possible future avenues for the stories. The writing has been very creative.

22. It also helps that three or four former Next Gen writers have worked on the series.

23. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I am really loving this new season. This show is firing on all cylinders for sure.

Someone needs to get it together and renew this show. I hear it hasn't been yet but might be out of the loop.

24. Rachael Bee

If it gets renewed it could morph again a bit...??? What will sponsor want if it's not HULU...??? It might go back to 45 minute episodes...??? Or, have less or more profanity...??? If Seth can keep the core of the cast together, I think this show could last about as long as many Trek shows have lasted, a long time. As long as Seth is having fun perhaps....??? It's good to be the Captain!

I'll watch it any way they serve it. I've enjoyed all 3 seasons. Season 3 has mostly had less comedy but episode 8 made up for that, plenty of.... :laugh:

Linger63 likes this.
  25. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

As far as the profanity goes, I think it has enough as is. Excessive profanity doesn't really help any show and especially this one. What we've gotten so far has been great and enough.

Linger63 likes this.