The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Living on a Thin Line. Possibly Dave’s best tune. And possibly the last great Kinks tune. We have to get to the last track on Phobia before we get to another that might be in the running. And even then I m not so sure.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It took me a couple of listens.
    Early favourite for me - Killing Time

3. mark winstanley

I reckon we can manage both :)

I quite enjoy some reaction vid's

4. mark winstanley

Ain't that the truth

5. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Who would have thought that Dave would write what is arguably the best song on the album? A deserved Kinks classic.

6. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Very sorry to hear about your child, Brian. Did she get it in school? Hope she gets better. My 95 yr. mother just got the booster this week and she's not feeling that great since then.

On a lighter note, does your eldest like the Beatles or did your quizzes drive her away from them? :laugh:

7. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

@DISKOJOE we're thinking she got it on the first day of summer camp. Now she's gonna miss ten days of making kaleidoscopes and programming video games.

My 13 year old has a good 25 Beatles songs on her playlist (she likes deep cuts like Glass Onion and The Night Before) but has continued on to much more & varied music. Some totally new to me and brilliant, some shockingly retro ("I've been listening to lots of early Clash lately"). She does jokingly complain "knowing the lyrics to every single Beatles song is crowding out all the algebra in my head" but I'd say she's still a fan. (More relevantly, she also loves the Kinks, with Waterloo Sunset among her top 5 all time favorite songs, and Holiday Romance in close competition).

8. mark winstanley

The first third had me concerned, but she uses an interesting format.
    When she gets to breaking it down after that she does quite an insightful, and informed job of going through the tracks... she obviously loves the Beatles though lol

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  9. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Things have certainly changed since this. Hope she gets well soon:

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’ve sped on even further and it’ll be worth carrying on. (Unfortunately, Apple Music doesn’t have UK Jive…other than the song itself (on ‘Lost and Found’).

11. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

Also mentioned as a highlight in the Rolling Stone review at the time.

To me Repetition is a sleeper track on there too.

12. Mark R. Y.

Mark R. Y. Getting deep down

It looks like this has been taken down; I hope just temporarily. Yes, she has previously gone through every Beatles album (plus some solo stuff like All Things Must Pass and Ram), but she's branching out now with albums like Led Zeppelin and The Who's Tommy. But she needs to know the chronology of classic rock - she wasn't sure at what came first, "Do You Remember Walter" or "Mr. Blue Sky"!!

13. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

Hope your little one feels better soon.

It is great, isn’t it, when you pass on your love of music to the next generation. My girls both had a ton of Beatles on their iPods when they were your older daughter’s age. They would raid my cd collection and rip music to put on their iPods in the days before streaming. I was thrilled when my eldest became a DJ at her college radio station, and I got turned on to some of the music she played. Of course it was stuff like new psychedelia that didn’t sound that different to the music I grew up listening to.

14. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Now And Then and How Do I Get Close should also be on there. I don’t see that comp on ITunes though.
    If the Picture Book box set is there, it has a couple of tracks: Down All The Days (Till 1992) from the UK Jive album and The Million Pound Semi-Detached a track recorded in those sessions but not released until 18 years later on a comp. These are on ITunes.

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thanks. I’ll look.
    Okay, found ‘Now And Then.’ ‘How Do I Get Close’ might be track 1…which is missing. It begins with Track 2.

16. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Check out the song The Road too if you can find it, that’s on Lost And Found and Picture Book.
    This was the title track from the previous year’s live album, but it’s a studio track with crowd noises dubbed on. Ignore any description that says “live” beside that track’s title. No such version exists.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  17. mark winstanley

Maybe she got worried about the song, or the goofy bit at the end...
    She's pretty young.

18. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

No complaints from me. It is so great that she is approaching this music with such a respect and in some cases downright awe is really refreshing. She's bringing rock music to some new ears to boot. After watching the Village Green one I checked her take on Animals. Very astute on that one as well yet with such great enthusiam there too. In the face of those things who cares if she doesn't off the top of her head know the chronology of albums released decades before her birth. It would've been sort of funny if someone would've slipped Back To Front or Pressure in with those Village Green tracks. Probably would've been jarring to say the least.

19. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

oh, I'd love my daughter to DJ, & I love going through her playlists (and looking at her bookshelf). the first time she sent us one of her spotify lists, my wife & I were like "well, our work here is done."

20. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Well, I gotta top that. My daughter is a huge fan of, and even did her college music appreciation class term paper on.... you guessed it.... the Kinks!

21. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

I'll join in to wish you a happy birthday! It's a big one. i'm not too far behind ya.
    Hope you made it a "good day"!

22. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sounds like it was good no one there had a zoom lense!

23. All Down The Line

Those crazy boffins!

mark winstanley likes this.
  24. All Down The Line

Poll question:
    Could one surmise the correlation that the girls income literally came from living on a thin line?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  25. All Down The Line

Hang on there Mark you're not having one of those zoom meetings are you?

The MEZ, DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.